2 Records were broken at Willow this week-end

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

2 Records were broken at Willow this week-end

Postby JHPGT3 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:30 pm

Bill Dawson set the bar higher for PCAers with his 1:19+ at The Streets (CW).
At the big track, another new record was set for POC Time Trialers by Eric Oberz, who did an incredible 1:18+.
Where does it end?
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby MVZ944T on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:06 am

With your last post!! Bumblebee!! Ha! :lol:
Good job Sunday!
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby Red Rooster on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:19 am

I probably shouldn't say anything....but I set a new (worst) record of sorts....the most "offs" for me in one event... 4 in all :oops: :oops: :roll:

and that includes my grand folly with Jack & Robert in the last session on Sat :oops: :oops: :oops:
Johnny Riz
Red 73 911 AM #255
Red Rooster
Autocrosser

Postby JHPGT3 on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:17 pm

You were right, Riz. You probably shouldn't have said anything!!! :lol:
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Pete Millikin on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:53 pm

John - So how was the Sunday POC race for you, Jim and Mike VZ? The Killer Bee yellow car was pretty easy to follow from the Streets. Looked like you held or advanced position pretty well. I saw you chasing down a white (cup?) car for a bunch of laps and I think sombody went off track trying to pass you in turn 5.

The race leading car was mucho fast - lapped the field with ease and absolutely blew by people on the straights.
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby JHPGT3 on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:31 pm

Pete Millikin wrote:John - So how was the Sunday POC race for you, Jim and Mike VZ? The Killer Bee yellow car was pretty easy to follow from the Streets. Looked like you held or advanced position pretty well. I saw you chasing down a white (cup?) car for a bunch of laps and I think sombody went off track trying to pass you in turn 5.

The race leading car was mucho fast - lapped the field with ease and absolutely blew by people on the straights.

You're right, Pete. I just kinda held my own each day --gained one position, I think on Sat --maybe 3 on Sunday.
I just couldn't find a way to get around John Gordon and his 2004 CupCar, although I'm a bit faster through the corners. I finished 8th overall in the Time Trial out of 49 total. 1:28s don't buy you much in this group, which is what I was running and I'd like to use the wind as an excuse, but we were all affected by it!
I had some faster guys run off the track behind me as well as in front of me --a little disconcerting to see during the race.
I thought they had the yellow flag out way too long at the end --and I don't know if you saw this or not, but as we came thru #9 with a yellow, we couldn't see a yellow at Start/finish, so most of us went "pedal to the metal" again, only to find that there was a yellow hanging down off the side of the start/finish tower (which you could hardly see). At that point, we all abruptly braked and avoided what could have been a serious collision. Those flags need to be more prominently displayed in the future.
Jim's motor stopped running around mid-way thru the race and he DNFed. Otherwise he was doing pretty well(though no match for the Bee :wink: ).
Mike VZ did OK --he finished the race, which is always good --I think he was 5 back from my position.Maybe he can chime in here and say a few words about his experience out there.
Anyway, it was all fun and I did OK.
From where were you watching?
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Pete Millikin on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:04 pm

John - Riz and I were watching from the Streets pit as we were packing up. From there the best views were the top of the back straight, entry into turn 8, & turn 9.

Congrats on your excellent finish in a very racy group!
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby JHPGT3 on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:11 pm

Pete Millikin wrote:John - Riz and I were watching from the Streets pit as we were packing up. From there the best views were the top of the back straight, entry into turn 8, & turn 9.

You guys (the whole group!)all bailed outa there fast!! I looked over after the race and saw nada!! How about a little basking in the afterglow of the TT?? :lol:
One thing I liked at POC is that after the Cup races (both Red and Orange), they opened up the track for 45 mins to anyone who had the energy to run. I thought that was pretty cool. That would be like after the PCA TT, opening up the track for 45 mins. (get your favorite competitors out there for a little action!!)
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Greg Phillips on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:37 pm

JHPGT3 wrote:
Pete Millikin wrote:John - Riz and I were watching from the Streets pit as we were packing up. From there the best views were the top of the back straight, entry into turn 8, & turn 9.

You guys (the whole group!)all bailed outa there fast!! I looked over after the race and saw nada!! How about a little basking in the afterglow of the TT?? :lol:
One thing I liked at POC is that after the Cup races (both Red and Orange), they opened up the track for 45 mins to anyone who had the energy to run. I thought that was pretty cool. That would be like after the PCA TT, opening up the track for 45 mins. (get your favorite competitors out there for a little action!!)

That might be a good idea for some weekends, but since we had been running only 2 run groups all weekend and had already put in about 5-6 hours of track time :lol: , I am not sure how many drivers would have gone out after timed runs :wink:

Greg
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Postby JHPGT3 on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:54 pm

You looked good out there, Greg! I saw you doin' your thing when I came over to watch a couple of times. You woulda, coulda, shoulda done another .10 in the TT, eh? What is that --less than a blink of the eye?
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby MVZ944T on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:18 pm

OK John,

I'll bite. Suffice it to say, whatever adrenaline I had, I left at the track. Saturday I had a great duel with Neil Wright and Jim Copp (acutally beat them Saturday). Somewhere in the race, I got totally sideways between 2 and 3 (according to Jim). Really thought I was going to lose it but I got it straightened out. Same or next lap I got off in the dirt coming out of 7, saved it again. Sunday (keep in mind my trusty 951 was losing power for some reason all weekend), so I was really having to overdrive the car. Anyway, early in Sunday's race I wound up going around turn 9 "THREE WIDE"!!!, with a bunch of the leading cup cars, left wheels in the dirt. I am thinking "Holy Crap", I am getting too old for this. All things considered, I wound up 16th and 17 for the cup races with a wounded car down about 50hp from normal. Pulled the head off today, loks fine, driving me nuts!!!
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby MVZ944T on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:30 pm

An addendum to the other message. There was this older guy, French I think, (older than me by a fair bit), in a really not too special 944 Turbo, which he claims has a pretty much stock engine. His buddy, drove a great race with Bill Dawson at Fontana for a while in a red 951. Well, this old fart turned a 1:25:6 at the TT on the big track. That kicked or almost kicked some bigtime POC butts! Check out the GT3 TT results. This is my class too!! :shock: Maybe he gives lessons. He told Neil Wright he used 300lb springs on his shocks. Maybe he used to test drive for Peugot! :shock:
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions