Still waiting for my 2005 trophy...

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby CoryM on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:44 pm

My $.02 -

Rather than throwing away $1500 worth of trophies, why don't you get the trophies and the engraved nametags separate. The nametags are cheap. Then when someone comes to claim their trophy you can attach the name to it, if the trophy is unclaimed you can reuse it next year and just toss the unclaimed nametag. Seems pretty simple to me.
CoryM
Autocrosser

Postby Don Middleton on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:23 pm

Dan, I think this was just a simple communication problem. It happens to the best run organizations, profit and non-profit alike. More volunteers or greater participation won't necessarily prevent it from happening. Sometimes, in the chaos of year-end, issues get overlooked.

Let's just fix it and move on. The Board can resolve how best to solicit input from, and communicate decisions to, the general membership.

Lot's of good ideas here for trophies in the future. Discussion, discussion...
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Postby Kim Crosser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:46 pm

Comments and some suggestions for consideration.

First, I (and obviously others) like getting a tangible trophy at the end of the year. Yes, I would still come and play even if I didn't get a ribbon or an end of year trophy, but they are fun to have and I haven't gotten completely jaded yet.

Second, trophies in past years were much more attractive and interesting than this year's. The engraved glass and wood ones and even the one with the car and cones are things you can hang in a den. I am sure a fair amount of work went into this year's plaques, but they just don't compare to previous years.
CoryM's suggestion of having separate trophies and engraved plates is workable, although it then eliminates the etched glass and engraved wood trophies of a couple of years ago.

Suggestions:

1. Throughout the year, allow AX attendees to fill out a "trophy form". Basically, three choices-

If at end of year, I am eligible for a trophy,
___ A. I do not want to receive a trophy - the club may use the trophy funds for other purposes;
___ B. I wish to receive my trophy by mail, at:
<mailing address>;
___ C. I intend to collect my trophy in person, either at an awards dinner or at one of the first AX events of the next year. If I cannot collect in person, please mail to:
<mailing address>.

2. Announce and post a notice prominently on the trailer all year:
"If you think you may be eligible for a trophy at the end of the year, you MUST fill out a "trophy form". If we don't have one on file for you by 1 December, and you are otherwise eligible, NO trophy will be made."

3. Only make trophies for those that want them.

4. Mail the trophies to the mailing address if they aren't picked up in person.

This approach would seem to address all the concerns and issues raised in this thread. :) Those that want trophies will get them, and none will be thrown away.

Comments :?: Other ideas :?:
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby Black Dog on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:21 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Dan. I have great respect for the volunteers who make this club the success it is.

My trophy shelf is bare (although I have an old oar that I got in the Boy Scouts in '68 for swimming 5 miles). In my mind, I was picturing how cool it would be to have one of the nice glass trophies that were given out for the '04 winners. When I learned that I would not get a trophy since I didn't attend the gala event I felt like the club cheaped out and stiffed me. I guess I still feel that way, although I understand what happened.

Communication is the key thing, as always. If there was some discussion of this change in advance of the decision I think that the outcome would have been different. At least, expectations would have been set. This forum would have been a good place to float the idea and let people discuss it.

I agree that having potential trophy winners say in advance whether they want a trophy or not should let us give people what they want without wasting the club's money.

Thanks,
John Ross
John Ross
Black Dog

Postby Gary Burch on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:38 am

First let me say that Kathy is completely innocent in all of this trophy business. All she did was volunteer to take on the task of making the framed awards along with planning and organizing the installation dinner.

The fault, if there is one, lies with me. Most of it can be credited to the premis that Dan Chambers has so articulately explained. Last year, even after the drivers award dinner, I threw away 5 boxes of trophies. Anyway, it was decided to do to pictures instead of trophies and to incorporate the awards into the installation dinner. Which is what happened, somewhat. We made announcements at the last 3 autocrosses to get your picture taken and what is for. That would have been the time to complain, request an award, or inquire about changing to traditional trophies.

It has always been my belief that a seperate awards function for the autocross and time trial series is the best for all. It really isn't so much about the award as the recognition from fellow drivers, and having a stand alone event would make it more so. The idea of a jacket or personal item is better than trophies. I am not sure who would wear a 3rd place in FS t-shirt but at least you could dust your other trophies with it.
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby ttweed on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:42 am

Dan Chambers wrote:One of the event Chair's obligations is to attend the monthly Board meetings.... In 2005 we had 36 Chair positions and 74 Chairs listed.... Of the Chairs that attend the meetings consistantly, about 15 to 18 regularly attended in 2005. Tom, you were a Chair yourself. How many Board Meetings in 2005 did you attend?

Well, I guess we have another case of poor communication within the club here, Dan. When I was recruited to be Tech Chair for local events, no one told me anything about being "obligated" to attend Board meetings. When I was asked to continue for another year in this position, no one said "You've done OK, except we've really missed you at the Board meetings you're supposed to attend." If Chairs are expected to be at the Board meetings, shouldn't that be made clear to potential candidates? I don't think I would have accepted the position if I understood that was required. I have had enough experience herding cats in other non-profit, volunteer organizations to last for my lifetime. I'm glad you all are willing to do it, but I don't have the patience and the diplomacy for it any more. I have retired to a life of anti-social curmudgeondom and I like it that way. :D

Back to the subject at hand, though, I think there have been some good explanations made and some good ideas put forward in this thread. I like Kim's ideas to avoid waste and I like Ron's idea of practical awards, vs. plastic. I've got enough trophies and plaques to fill more shelf and wall space than I have available to display them, and I'm not going to miss another one. A cheap windbreaker with "PCA-SDR 2005 Autox Series Champion" embroidered on it would get my attention, though.

I totally agree with what John Ross said: Don't you think that a thread like this one started on this forum halfway thru the last season might have helped resolve this problem of wasted awards? It is all about communication, and this is the Internet age, after all.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussions