Autocross.....

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Autocross.....

Postby AJ on Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:23 pm

I'm new in the club and I have a lot of questions. The most important is about the AX, I would like to attend to the one coming up in October, I think it will be the perfect B-day gift since I will be 30 the day before. Like I said I got a lot of questions, who can I call and get set up with all the details, like the car number, fee, safety, etc. Can some one give me tips about what to take? like extra gas, tools, etc. Please help!! I hope to read from you soon. :?
AJ

Postby ttweed on Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:04 pm

AJ-

Go to the autocross page on the main PCA-SDR site at http://www.pcasdr.org/autocross/index.html and read the whole page. Most of your questions will be answered. Your number can be assigned by Stephanie Steiner, I believe, at the trailer on the day of the event, or e-mail her at preregQ@pcasdr.org.

She has just posted an announcement for preregistration for the next autox here.

HTH,
TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Kim Crosser on Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:32 pm

In addition to the general info on the Autocross page, the following may be helpful:

1. Autocross numbers - each driver needs a unique set of numbers. These are usually 3 or 4 digits, and need to be affixed to the side of your car (plus the class designation). To get a set of numbers assigned, contact the Driving Event Registrar. There is a link on the "Contacts" page of the main site, or you can just e-mail to registrar@pcasdr.org or preregQ@pcasdr.org. You are allowed to pick any unused numbers, so think about what numbers you might want. You will keep these numbers indefinitely. You can also get the numbers the day of the AX, but doing it in advance makes the registration go quicker. You will want to get preprinted magnetics or decals, but I would come to the first AX and check out the different styles before ordering permanent numbers and class magnetics/decals.

2. When you register, ask for an instructor - no charge, and we require new drivers at AX events to have an instructor for the first four events.

3. Registering on-line in advance helps our registrar make things go smoother (and registering early saves you money).
Registration fees - if you preregister not later than the Tuesday before an event, the fees are $40 per driver. Use the "prepaid form" link:
http://www.pcasdr.org/forms/SDR%20Event ... 20Form.pdf
and you can fax it in with a credit card number.
"Late" registration (including on-site registration) is at least $45 - maybe $50.
NOTE - preregistration doesn't cost you ANYTHING. If you don't show up and drive, your credit card will NOT be charged, and if you do drive, any charge won't be posted until after the day of the event, so there is no reason not to preregister.

4. If your class isn't obvious from the AX classification page (http://www.pcasdr.org/forms/AXRegForm.pdf - see second page), post a description of your car (year, model/name, engine size, turbo/S, etc. - e.g. "2005 997S" or "1999 Boxster") and any modifications on this forum and someone can help you classify the car. It helps if you know the classification before you register.
(Note - it is simpler than it looks. Basically, if you are driving an unmodified car on street tires, you will be in "xS/S", where "x" is the Class Definition (A-Q). Tires with treadwear of 200 or lower, or after-purchase modifications, can add "points" which then cause you to move through the classification tree from "xS/S" to "xS" to "xP", etc.)

5. A Helmet is the only safety equipment you need. The helmet should be a Snell SA2000 or later. Snell's new SA2005 helmets are supposed to be available October 1st, but if you can get a good price break on a new SA2000, that will be plenty safe. Either an SA2000 or M2000 (Motorcycle) helmet is acceptable.
(Note - the web page still says SA1995, but I believe that soon [now?] we will require SA2000 or later - they usually update every 5 years. If you have an SA1995 available, you can probably use that for a while, but I wouldn't buy one.)
Note that only Snell rated helmets are acceptable. DOT or other ratings do not count.

6. Car prep - basically, just needs to be safe and mechanically sound. No loose parts, etc. - read the rules for all info. Make sure tires have at least standard pressure (or maybe add 1-2 lbs to each tire). Make sure oil is full (not overfull), coolant ok, etc. Gas - have at least 1/3 to 1/2 a tank - you don't need a full tank, but you could use up at least a 1/3 of a tank at an AX. Tires should be good for a road trip and brakes should be in good condition.

7. I wouldn't do any mods before your first AX, but at the first one, ask someone driving the same kind of car how your suspension should be set up. Generally, if you want to be competitive, you want maximum negative camber, and zero (or very small) toe-in. A $200 suspension setup is zero points and can make a significant improvement in handling over a stock setup.

8. Buy (and read!) "Driving in Competition" by Alan Johnson. This is THE basic reference for performance driving - he clearly explains a lot of the concepts and techniques that are important. It is well-written, entertaining, and informative and (except for the final chapter on how to campaign a Formula 1 team) applicable to us weekend warriors in all driving venues.

9. Get there before 7am (6:45 is good!). Your first time, you may need a little extra time to get everything sorted out.

10. When you arrive, find a place to park and completely (!!!) empty out your car. That means all loose items, including in the trunk(s), glove box, under seats, door pockets, console, etc. (and garage door openers on the visors). A bag to put loose items in is a good idea. After emptying out the car, you can get into the Technical Inspection line. After Tech Inspection, you will get stickers - if you pre-registered, you will get an envelope with your wristband and car sticker; if not, you will then have to go to the trailer and register. You need to complete Tech BEFORE registering at the trailer.
Many of us also remove our spare tire (our car's anyway - my spare tire isn't removable - sigh). Extra weight just slows you down.

11. Once registered, you will need to put your numbers on the sides of the car. We have colored duct tape (assuming you don't have magnetics/decals). Do this as soon as you are registered, then hang out near the trailer for the track walk and drivers' meeting.

12. Tools aren't normally needed, unless your car has a history of problems. :wink:
Bring sunblock, hat, folding chair, etc. for comfort when not driving. At some point, you will be asked to "corner work" which means you could be standing out in the sun for up to 1-1/2 hours, so be prepared. We provide unlimited water and sodas, so you don't need to bring those.
You probably want window cleaner, rags/towels, etc. In the late afternoon, sun through a dirty windshield can be distracting.
Spare oil is a good precaution.

13. Food - there is usually a lunch truck at the event from around 9:30 until about 1:30.

14.-99. Have fun! :burnout:
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby Bill Behun on Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:52 pm

First time AX. Like Tom says, check out the autocross section of the website.

Other things I remember thinking of my first AX:

A) The club supplies bottled water, sodas, sports drinks - for free! If you want something else, bring it. Also, club usually has coffee in the morning - enough for one cup per person. Sometimes I bring a thermos of coffee or tea on the colder days. Also bring some snack for later in the day when the food truck is not there.

B) Bring some gaffers tape (or tape that won't pull off your paint) so you can put your number and car class on the sides of your car. If you don't have tape, you can get some from a member to use for your first time.

C) The AX goes all day. First time - you might get quesy (probably will) when you ride with your instructor in his car. Your brain won't anticipate the turning/braking forces at the right times and I was quesy the first few time out. Tell him it's your first time doing this. If you start to feel car sick - tell the instructor you need to get out and why - tell him early enough so you don't get sick in his car - some have real nice cars and they will appreciate you getting out in time!

D) Come with at least a 3/4 tank of gas.

E) Be at the stadium no later than 6:30 AM, park under the trolley track. Tell someone this is your first AX and could they advise you on what to do to get set up and the car teched.

F) Most folks bring a folding chair to hang out in.

G) Bring a pen and paper to write down the things you learn. You'll probably have information overload the first time.

H) Print out the track map that is posted on the AX site a couple of days before the event. Bring it for the track walk where an instructor leads us all though the track with their advice.

I) It may seem like everyone has tons of experience at this. Some do, alot of us have only been at it a short while so no need to feel intimidated - ask all the questions you want.

J) It's fun the first time - gets more fun every time after that.
'80 911SC (AX FUN)
'94 968 "Practical" Porsche
Bill Behun
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:35 am

This thread should probably get moved to the FAQ section, as the answers are getting extensive and useful enough to be archived there. Is it Mike D. that can do that?

I would also add a reference to Hank Watts book, "Secrets of Solo Racing," for anyone who is interested in autocrossing or time trialing. And, of course, a big recommendation to sign up for the Performance Driving School at your earliest opportunity. It is put on twice per year, Spring and Fall, and is the best investment you could make in improving your driving skills.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby AJ on Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:36 pm

Thank you guys, I will do everything you recomended and hope to meet you on the 15th.
AJ

Return to General Discussions