Topper Chasse

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Topper Chasse

Postby Michael Dolphin on Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:40 pm

As I read John Straub’s column today in the Witness, I realized that “someone else” had not followed through on sharing some sad news among our Regions….

On September 8, 2005 longtime Porsche-phile and past Porsche Owners Club president Topper Chasse passed away in Pasadena Ca. Topper had only recently been diagnosed with acute leukemia and suddenly it seemed to take immediate toll on Topper’s health.

Most of us will fondly remember this fine gentleman. He was one who certainly earned that sobriquet. He was one to greet you with a smile and give you his attention in the greeting and discussion. John’s article relates Topper’s invitation to share events between POC and PCA – there is no surprise there.

My first ride around the big track at Willow Springs was as a passenger in Topper’s 914-6. I had other rides in his Boxster. I always told him that I really wanted a ride-around in his Cobra-powered ’29 Ford.

He was 77 years young and you would not have believed so if he had not told you. The twinkle in his eye was as one of youth, vitality and spirit.

We all would be fortunate to be remembered in the same way.

The funeral services have already been held. In lieu of flowers the family asks that a donation be made to the Downtown Women's Center, 325 So. Los Angeles St.,LA Ca 90013 Phone (213) 680-0600

There is an obituary posted at www.latimes.com
Michael Dolphin
Zone 8 Representative, PCA
Co-Chair, 2005-2010 Zone 8 Speed Festival
Past President - Grand Prix Region
Current: '68 912 - '77 Carrera 3.0 (Euro) - '99 996
Michael Dolphin
Autocrosser

Postby John Straub on Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:25 pm

Topper, will be missed. He was a great guy......and could drive the wheels off of a Porsche! He was one of the few drivers that was truly intimidateing to his competitors.
John Straub...51 year member...PCASDR
1965 911
1967 911
1970 914/6GT,(Sold)
Websitehttp://www.JohnStraubImageWorks.com
Pushin' the hands of time back at,"Along For The Ride" http://www.johnstraub.blogspot.com
John Straub
Club Racer

Return to General Discussions