Pahrump TT

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby TheStig on Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:24 pm

gah your 993 makes me want to spend more money on another car :lol:

Hmmmm do I really need a 944 for autocross? :twisted:
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
1986 Porsche 944 #382 Up For Sale - Inquire Within!
1987 Porsche 928 S4 If it's too loud, you're too old!Image
TheStig
Time Trialer

Postby jack miller on Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:00 pm

kary wrote:I liked the original configuration also. I know we only drove the new portion of track at slow speeds but it did not seem all that interesting to me compared to the orginal track. Does any one know who designed the new portion of the track? It did not feel like Ruppert (the orginal owner and designer of the track) desgined it.

To all who expressed their appreciation, you are very welcome. For next year, I'd like to get some names of volunteers to help with equipment transportation, timing, and towing (at BW and SM). I'm also conversing with Z7 about doing a TT at their event early June at the Vegas Motorspeedway. I'll post other dates as I get them.

Kary, I think the back section is a nice addition. I would have made the banked corner faster, but I liked the first off-camber hair pin and I love that zero gravity drop and the blind sweeper following it. I also did a fast blast onto the "fastest" configuration entering old track at 5B. I think you will like that a lot! Personally, I think that will be the way to go next year.
jack miller
Autocrosser

Postby kary on Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:09 pm

jack miller wrote:
kary wrote:I liked the original configuration also. I know we only drove the new portion of track at slow speeds but it did not seem all that interesting to me compared to the orginal track. Does any one know who designed the new portion of the track? It did not feel like Ruppert (the orginal owner and designer of the track) desgined it.

To all who expressed their appreciation, you are very welcome. For next year, I'd like to get some names of volunteers to help with equipment transportation, timing, and towing (at BW and SM). I'm also conversing with Z7 about doing a TT at their event early June at the Vegas Motorspeedway. I'll post other dates as I get them.

Kary, I think the back section is a nice addition. I would have made the banked corner faster, but I liked the first off-camber hair pin and I love that zero gravity drop and the blind sweeper following it. I also did a fast blast onto the "fastest" configuration entering old track at 5B. I think you will like that a lot! Personally, I think that will be the way to go next year.

You could be right Jack, as I said it was driving at a slow pace so at full speed it might be quite different. It just felt like a different flow compared to the old track. I guess we will have to drive it to find out how well is flows all together next year!

As far as volunteers, as long as I make the event I will be able to help transport some items as long as my family doesn't fill the space with their stuff.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

New track

Postby Greg Phillips on Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:31 pm

I think it was Chris Benbow who pointed out that if you looked at the new track it was almost a mirror image of the old track from turn 3 to halfway down the front straight. Especially the inner loops. So although Rupert may have not designed it- he was involved :wink:

Greg
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Postby ttweed on Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:04 pm

Red Rooster wrote: Big Congrats go to my class nemisis :wink: Dan Andrews for his AM victory.
Looks like Dan figured a couple more things out on his 3rd visit to the track. A 1:50.8 is pretty quick for an old geezer. Another couple of tenths and you could have had my AM-class track record, Dan! Too bad! :D

I think it's indicative of how technical that track is that everyone seems to be cutting 2-3 seconds off their times each successive event. Practice makes perfect! I remember how I was getting lost on the track for at least the first two sessions I did there. It was very difficult to learn. The longer configuration is going to make it a new ballgame next year, I think.

Kary-
Something funny happens when I hit the "flip time format" button on those results. The times over 120 seconds seem to be missing a "0" after the "2" and are a little hard to read correctly. Is that a bug in the conversion program?

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby kary on Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:22 pm

ttweed wrote:Kary-
Something funny happens when I hit the "flip time format" button on those results. The times over 120 seconds seem to be missing a "0" after the "2" and are a little hard to read correctly. Is that a bug in the conversion program?

TT

Tom, yes, sorry about that. I have not had time to get in there and fix it lately. I will ook at it soon.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby gulf911 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 pm

ttweed wrote: Looks like Dan figured a couple more things out on his 3rd visit to the track. A 1:50.8 is pretty quick for an old geezer. Another couple of tenths and you could have had my AM-class track record, Dan! Too bad! :D
TT

Yeah Tom, I figured out you can't get a good time with a 1973 suspension.... and I also figured out you can't compete with 60" wings when you have a Duck Tail... :lol: With cantilevers or slicks I may have been knocking on Kary's door... :wink:
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby kary on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:13 pm

gulf911 wrote:
ttweed wrote: Looks like Dan figured a couple more things out on his 3rd visit to the track. A 1:50.8 is pretty quick for an old geezer. Another couple of tenths and you could have had my AM-class track record, Dan! Too bad! :D
TT

Yeah Tom, I figured out you can't get a good time with a 1973 suspension.... and I also figured out you can't compete with 60" wings when you have a Duck Tail... :lol: With cantilevers or slicks I may have been knocking on Kary's door... :wink:

I wouldn't answer the door :wink:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby MVZ944T on Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:39 pm

I'm kicking myself, too!
Congrats to you, Kary and to Bob, and congrats to all who stayed for the Time Trial. It's a shame so many left!

John,

So that's why you wound up third? Good job guys. Did you run the same track as last year or?

Thunderhill for me this coming weekend.
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby Junior on Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:44 pm

Great Event...Thanks to SD PCA, Jack, Robert, and all the grungy "far end of the paddock crew". My Check engine light decided to finally come on today when I arrived in Boulder....2000 hard miles later....go figure.
1996 BMW M3
2002 Porsche Turbo X50
Junior

Previous

Return to General Discussions