new class rules, etc

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

new class rules, etc

Postby jack miller on Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:02 pm

I apologize in advance if this has been hashed over. I rarely pay attention to such things, but here are the proposed rules for next year and 2007. If you have any comments, send them to Michael Harris:

http://www.pca.org/zone8/rules_discussi ... sPage1.htm

The only thing that caught my attention for TT was the requirement of HANS type device for 2007 season. The rest, e.g., class points, etc....Zzzzzz. The only class I care about is having class on the track and it in the pits. In that regard most of PCASDR's TT drivers are #1.
jack miller
Autocrosser

Re: new class rules, etc

Postby kary on Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:43 pm

jack miller wrote:I apologize in advance if this has been hashed over. I rarely pay attention to such things, but here are the proposed rules for next year and 2007. If you have any comments, send them to Michael Harris:

http://www.pca.org/zone8/rules_discussi ... sPage1.htm

The only thing that caught my attention for TT was the requirement of HANS type device for 2007 season. The rest, e.g., class points, etc....Zzzzzz. The only class I care about is having class on the track and it in the pits. In that regard most of PCASDR's TT drivers are #1.

For a minute there I thought you had me going....they just state that a HANS "like" device would be required, not that is is a HANS device. There is an interesting thread on Rennlist about this as New Jersey is thinking about mandating such a rule all the way down to DE's. Many argue that this would make folks less likely to partipate due to the additional cost of entry to start. With the racing belts, fire bottle, belt mounts, and now Head & Neck devices the cost to get has really gone up.

In that same thread folks were talking about clubs that mandate a certain device like a HANS device. I think that is very bad for two reasons, 1) there is no competition, look at AMB transponders, the price of those things has doubled in a few years and they are the same devices. 2) HANS is specifically mandated by professional organizations where driver safety is more than just a HANS device. They have other restraint systems that work with the HANS to protect the driver. Many of us will never have all those modifications made to our cars so having other choices of H&N devices will be important for our complete safety, not just because HANS was mandated by professional organizations.

All that said, I think having a H&N device is a good thing. Should it be mandated, not sure...but it probably should be mandated for racing venues, not DE, maybe time trials.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

what about fire extinguishers?

Postby JamesWilson on Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:53 pm

How about that Halon has been banned from use by SFI and FIA, and the EPA has determined that Halotron is just as lethal. I see no mention of the currently-FIA and SFI approved "AFFF" agent, which is an aquious foam. The only downside of AFFF is that it requires more agent to extinguish fires than the old Halon/Halotron, but much safer for the driver. It's also much cheaper than Halon/halotron, and is completely safe to ship in the air.

Again, I think we need to look at the rules for fire extinguisher systems, as our current approved list only allows for currently-banned substances as unsafe (except for dry-chemical), but does not allow for the current "safe" agent being used in motorsports today.

edit-- HANS device is just one H&N restraint device, there are several legal effective devices that run $275-$400 instead of $800-$1500. They may not take 50g of load on a sled, but meet racing guidelines for many drag, circle track, and non-PCA road racing bodies here in the US....HANS is an American product, but I think its also the only one that is currently FIA approved so that is probably why PCA is specifying that particular product. Also, a true HANS device can only be used with a proper 5/6-pt belt and race seat (NOT with a stock seat) and have that harness attached to a roll bar to be effective.

My $0.02

-James W
Dave Turner Motorsports
This Space For Sale
JamesWilson
Autocrosser

Postby martinreinhardt on Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:03 pm

:lol: This is funny so, we can drive in Jeans and long sleeves :roll: and race suits are not required for DE and TT's, but we will have to wear a HANS like device. (if the club buys me one I won't complain anymore) :lol: But these things are not comfortable, so I wouldn't want to wear it even if I get it for free.

Personally I think the HANS should be recommended and a neck brace a minimum requirement.

http://www.interserie.org/ doesn't even require a HANS and they drive anyting from F1, IndyCar, F3000, Group C, F3 and recently added some Carrera Cup cars.

:evil:
Last edited by martinreinhardt on Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby kary on Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:15 pm

I just started using the Isaac and thought it was quite nice! I felt very secure with it for both frontal and side impacts which other devices cannot claim. The modility was good but it is someting you have to get use to.

PCA did not propose HANS, they said in 2007 a H&N device would be required in time trial.

The Isaac saying says it all I think:

" For the head worth keeping "

If your head is not worth it, then don't keep it :wink:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:34 pm

:D It's cool, but we are not exactly a pro series and most of us are doing this for fun 2-3 times a year.

I guess rules are rules and we will have to buy one these carbon fiber monsters if we want to drive with the PCA starting 2007. :evil: I don't like rules :evil: Do we even have to follow Zone 8's rules???
Martin Reinhardt

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby mnettles on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:36 pm

This is nuts! We don't even require roll bars on all cars..... Did this particular rule get a chance to be commented on? I didn't see it and I was watching pretty closely. Personally, I've been using and Isaac all summer but am pretty certain that the majority of our TT drivers have not made that type of investment. I'm not a voting member of the rules committee but hope that sanity (and compliance to the procedures) will prevail and that this rule will be voted down until the membership gets an opportunity to comment on it.

I did notice that it got slipped in along with the very sane helment upgrade.... very sneaky!

mj
mnettles
Autocrosser

Postby martinreinhardt on Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:37 pm

:lol: Talking about RULES :lol:
Martin Reinhardt

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Rules Proposals

Postby Michael Dolphin on Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:14 pm

My annual input: the rules committee does not MAKE rules.

Each year, rules proposals are submitted to the committee from any member of Zone 8 of the Porsche Club of America and publicly posted on the Zone 8 website . Following that process is a period of public comment on rules proposals.

The rules committee reviews those proposals for clarification and review against existing rules.

In November, these proposals are presented to the Presidents of the thirteen Regions within the Zone. Those Presidents vote for approvals. The rules committee does NOT have voting authority in that process.

If you have disagreements, please lobby your local President.
Michael Dolphin
Zone 8 Representative, PCA
Co-Chair, 2005-2010 Zone 8 Speed Festival
Past President - Grand Prix Region
Current: '68 912 - '77 Carrera 3.0 (Euro) - '99 996
Michael Dolphin
Autocrosser

Postby Otto on Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:54 pm

Michael:

Would you mind telling us who composes the Rules Committee that reviewed the members' rules proposals for 2006 and arrived at the final wording of the proposed revisions which the Presidents will be looking at in November?
Otto H. Obrist
1986 944 Turbo # 577
Otto
Time Trialer

Zone 8 Rules Committee

Postby Michael Dolphin on Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:13 pm

No problem at all. The Zone 8 Rules committee are the eight people listed on the SDR contacts page:

Rules Chair (OCR) - Richard Price
Bev Frohm (SDR) - Zone 8 rep
Michael Dolphin (GPX) - AX Chair
Paul Young (SDR) - Time Trial Chair
Vince Knauf (SDR) - Chief Driving Instructor
Ziggy Szielenski (SDR) - Concours Chair
Revere Jones (SGV) - Rally Chair
Tom Brown (SDR) - Webmaster

(San Diego Region is well represented among the Zone 8 staff.)

By the way, at the President's meeting, each rule proposal is individually presented for questions and clarification before the President's vote. The document used is the one transmitted to the presidents and referred to in the beginning of this discussion.

In some cases, there are carryovers from "post-dated proposals" -- i.e., the helmets update proposal was planned for institution in the current year (from three years ago).
Michael Dolphin
Zone 8 Representative, PCA
Co-Chair, 2005-2010 Zone 8 Speed Festival
Past President - Grand Prix Region
Current: '68 912 - '77 Carrera 3.0 (Euro) - '99 996
Michael Dolphin
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions