Autocross thanks...

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Autocross thanks...

Postby JamesWilson on Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:05 pm

A big thank-you to everyone who offered their rides up today at the autocross....I think I got 3 laps in before the rubber clutch exploded in the GP 924 Turbo....yes, the one that left on the trailer at lunch :-(

It'll be a long while until I can afford to do the clutch job, I may need to take a few of you up on that offer for a lap or two in GP for some points.

-JamesW
This Space For Sale
JamesWilson
Autocrosser

Postby Dan Chambers on Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:33 am

A big thanks to Gary (nice track, dude!) Curt Y., Chuck S., and all the volunteers for yesterday's fun! Also, great to see all the "recent graduates" from the PDS out there! Get ready grad's, you're hooked!

A challenging track design, some serious weather-dynamics on the asphalt surface (did anyone get faster timed laps than practice laps?), and some very close margins between the 944spec drivers (Go jackie and John K.) and I. Nice dicing it up with you guys! Sorry James' clutch went south on his 924Turbo. I was hoping to get him into the mix with his budget-bucket!

Thanks, everyone!

James:

I'll "loan" my GP White Water Bucket to you, including, practice session laps, on my RA-1's if you'll let me drive my timed laps on your V710's. :roll: Would that constitute a "win/win" if we're competing in the same class against each other? :shock:

Let me know.....
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby bibbetson on Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:18 am

That was a really great track, although I think most all of them are great after a day of fun on them. Thanks to everyone that makes these events happen. You are all my unsung hero's.

For me the track got faster all day long. The reason, for me, was that there were a ton of fast sections that were much faster than they appeared. The switch back going up the hill (don't brake - thanks Steve D.), the sweeper in the back corner (just keep pushing it, it will stick around that kink with a small lift) and hit the gas really early before the straight and use all the track. I ran 116's during practice over and over but dropped a second in each timed run. I know others struggled with the weather but it didn't play a factor for me (but then again, I wasn't in the run group when the arctic blast came through).

I had a really fun day - thanks to everyone.
billeye #491
'94 968
bibbetson
Time Trialer

Postby martinreinhardt on Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:00 pm

Excellent track design it was fast and fun.

But, I will keep working on a remote control cone, which will fall over when Bill's time < my time :D :D :D
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby TheStig on Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:45 pm

Good luck to you James I hope you get the car back together ASAP to run for the next upcoming event. I'll submit you a reference to where I got my clutch at through PM.
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
1986 Porsche 944 #382 Up For Sale - Inquire Within!
1987 Porsche 928 S4 If it's too loud, you're too old!Image
TheStig
Time Trialer

First timer

Postby ronaldtrotter on Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:05 pm

It being my first time I am not qualified to judge the track, except to say it was really fun to drive. Dan, I am hooked. Thanks to all who put it together and a big thanks to Dick for being my instructor. He was positive and extremely helpful. But, Dick look out for Rikki she seems to be catching up.

Ron Trotter.
ronaldtrotter
Time Trialer

Postby martinreinhardt on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:08 am

Martin Reinhardt

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby bibbetson on Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:25 pm

:D :D

That's really good Martin! Soon you'll be in Curt's league. If only I had listened to you and made those seat brackets out of lead. Great day however. It's always fun racing with you. Too bad you broke the curse (KP - First to worst), now I can't catch you for year end points.

Hmmm.... Where can I find another 75 pounds to remove...

I have been looking down the slippery slope for some time now - I think I may have started sliding. :burnout: Admitting it is the first step to recovery.
billeye #491
'94 968
bibbetson
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:36 pm

Admitting it doesn't help solve the problem in this case, it actually makes it worse :twisted: Welcome to the dark side of spending money on the race car.... the other nickname for my car is DarthVader you may recall :lol:

I'm hoping to take the 06 season a bit more seriously, so watch out!

The weather on Saturday sure sounds like a very weak excuse, but I really did feel all of my 1:16's during timed runs were better runs than the 1:15's during practice with a passenger. Plus, you two never beat me by 2 seconds when I have a decent run, so something weird did happen, but nice driving by both of you.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby David J Marguglio on Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:03 pm

Jad: weak excuse or not, the red run group was undoubtably affected by what someone described as the "arctic blast". I was a full two seconds slower than my "fastest" practice lap and even with the "free cone" factor, I would guess there was a second to a second and a half difference. The only one that I spoke with that didnt seem ill-effected was JGW who told me that he had made adjustments to his 68-way adjustable suspension to compensate for the change. Oh well, live and learn.
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby jgunn on Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:18 pm

LOL -- I definitely felt the conditions during the red group were worse, and that I would have been faster if the conditions had not worsened. I simply had been cruising earlier in the day, getting used to the track and making changes to the car, so my times were no worse, but I had been expecting them to be better.

Make sense? I think conditions were a little over 1 second worse during timed runs for red group.
jgunn
Autocrosser

Postby Bill Behun on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:10 pm

I liked that the track layout was similar to one we had a couple of months ago. I could remember what I was trying to work on back then and work on it again this time.

This time I kept at least 2 wheels in the track at all times!

Let's do this layout again in 3 months????
'80 911SC (AX FUN)
'94 968 "Practical" Porsche
Bill Behun
Time Trialer

Postby martinreinhardt on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:48 pm

Ok I had today off and of course it rains :?
Martin Reinhardt

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby bibbetson on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:29 am

Martin,

If you have a high-res of that please email it to me. That's a keeper! :lol:

Oh yeah, I guess I finally get to change my signature back...
billeye #491
'94 968
bibbetson
Time Trialer

Postby David J Marguglio on Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:20 am

Where are the results???
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer