Sick of NASCAR

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Sick of NASCAR

Postby MVZ944T on Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:51 pm

Is anyone else out there as sick of the NASCAR station (aka Speedvision) as I am? It is bordering on the rediculous; what will they think of next to try and cram the sport down the throats of the public. NASCAR goes to the mens room? They have tried everything else. NASCAR poker, what a joke. Speedvision used to have a fairly balanced race schedule, but it just keeps shrinking, and all we get is Billy Bob and Bubba, and a bunch of yall come back now. Yeck! :banghead:

How about some bumper stickers like " Just say no to NASCAR", or "Real drivers can turn right too". :twisted:
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:21 pm

Mike, it is too bad that they a changed the programming so much. There are some programs other than NASCAR, but until the money is better in road race groups I think NASCAR will win out due to sponsorship support.

NASCAR really wins from a spectator perspective as they can see the entire track, they can sit there and do nothing to see it, and can drink beer while doing it. Kind of like fishing really!

Yes, that is the additional programming Speed can put on, fishing in the infield of the track while watching NASCAR racing :shock:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Brett Souza on Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:36 pm

Send them an e-mail and let them know. I think for every e-mail they get, it is suppose to represent 10000 viewers...

http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/
'97 993 C2 Coupe
Brett Souza

Postby Chris Benbow on Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:01 pm

I sent my Email.
FYI If you have Tivo it will cut out the crap and just save the good stuff.
Chris Benbow

Postby martinreinhardt on Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:02 pm

Speed channel really sucks and mainly because all they seem to broadcast is NASCAR and Drag Racing which I could care less if these two form of motorsport (is this even motorsport?) would be sent to the moon. What's next on Speed? Rodeo maybe

Now if only the Discovery channel and the History channel would move to the basic cable programm, so we could all save some money on cable TV :lol:

But with all these commercials watching TV is not fun, we should get paid to watch TV not pay to watch it. My guess is if this continues; TV will probablly go away as we know it today and go to the internet where we can download your favorite shows and watch it on the computer or iPod as Apple introduced last week with "Lost", "Deperate Housewives" and other shows. Way to go Apple.

My favorite car shows are "TopGear" (England and sometimes on Speed) and "Turbo" (France). Why can the US not produce a good car show? If possible without a big m*r*n wrestler test driver that barly fits in the car.

It would be nice to see per example the "Road and Track" guys on TV more often.

"Sauerkraut hat gesprochen!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby MikeD on Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:24 pm

I sorta like the Test Drives that Tommy Kendell does. I also like Top Gear and Fifth Grear. Had a link once upon a time that I could download Top Gear and Fifth Gear episodes in AVI format (minus commercials). Have to see if I can find it again.

I agree with you Martin. Soon all we will have to do is download our favorite shows (for a small nominal fee) and watch them when we want (commercial free!!). Maybe pay Grand Am or IMSA a couple bucks an event to stream races live or downloading all at once. For now there something like this http://www.pocketdish.com/
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby RickK on Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:35 pm

Top Gears have been playing on Discovery. Mostly older shows with some cut-ins for the US market. The Discovery web site doesn't show any upcoming so maybe that has been taken from us too.
RickK
Time Trialer

Postby harnishclan on Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:34 am

Speed's programming change happened about the time NASCAR decided they didn't want a 24 hour NASCAR channel like Golf has, so they did the next best thing. FOX purchased Speed and since they are a major player in NASCAR broadcasts and want to promote their product, they show a lot of NASCAR programming. As a NASCAR season ticket holder at 3 different tracks even I think most of the Speed programming is absurd. There is something easy to do. Change the Channel! Vote with your remotes!
Brian Harnish GP #815
Current: 08 Cayman S, 87 944 S, 87 944.
Past: 81 911SC, 83 944, 86 944, 82 924T, 97 993, 84 944, 87 944, 83 944, 04 Cayenne S, 81 924T, 01 Boxster S.
harnishclan
Time Trialer

Postby Chris Moon on Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:11 am

Actually, there's at least one version of streaming video already: Champ Car's Race Director. They doubled the price this season to all of $30 from only $15 last year. It's like having someone record and save every race for you. Pretty cool.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Race ... /Offer.asp

:beerchug:
CM
'88 951 More Boost!
Chris Moon

Postby Curt on Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:37 am

To tell you guys the truth, there is still so much racing on Speed TV that I can't keep up with it. I still have at least 20 hours of races to catch up with on Tivo. I Tivo:

- every F1 race but don't record the practice or qualifying (that'd be 3 more hours of racing to watch, 20 times a year if I recorded those)

- every World Challenge GT and Touring Car race

- every Grand Am race and every Grand Am Cup race

- every Porsche Super Cup Race

- every American LeMans Series race

- selected WRC races

- SPorts Car Revolution (I can skip 50% of this shows contents though)

- 5th Gear

- Test Drive ( I record some of these if the subject car interests me)

- CART races. I have not watched a single CART race all year long and have every one of them saved on Tivo. I will start to watch them in the off season. PLEASE no spoilers, ok guys?

Now I wouldn't watch a NASCAR race if my life depended on it. I hate that crap. But, I personally can't keep up with all the cool racing stuff Speed Tv still shows. I do miss the vintage sports car racing films they used to show.
Curt Anderson
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby MVZ944T on Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:08 pm

Don't get me wrong. I like to watch a very occasionsal NASCAR race, or at least maybe a part of it. I love drag racing, at least NHRA. What is driving me nuts about Speedvision is the continual NASCAR BS sessions, poker games, yackity yack shows with Joe Don and Billy Bob that make even Dave DeSpain look good. I can vote with my remote, but unless you happen to be on one of the electronic poles, they won't know you shut them off for something else. There is a lot of interesting racing out there that is a whole lot more interesting watch than NASCAR's version of the NFL pregame and post game show. I guess if that many people watch it, it shows just how may Americans need to get a life.
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:09 pm

Inside GP is also entertaining at times and don't forget the replays of the grand prix from 10 years ago...They are also showing the GP2 races and soon they will be adding Austrailian V8 Supercars and other misc races as soon as NASCAR ends in a couple weeks.

There is way too much NASCAR, but they do show a good number of other shows, NASCAR just pays the bills :D
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby David J Marguglio on Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:46 pm

...there is still so much racing on Speed TV that I can't keep up with it. I still have at least 20 hours of races to catch up with on Tivo.

I agree with Curt that there is still a lot of great substance, but I would not have said that before I got my DVR. If you dont have DVR or Tivo then you only see the daytime and/or primetime speed which is nearly 100% roundy-rounds. My advice to anyone that will hear it is to pay the $6 a month for DVR as it is truly one of those things that once you use it you wont know how you got by without it. No commercials, no crappy schedules (most of the good stuff on speed is in the wee hours) just the programming that you want to see sans commercials.

Okay there is my soapbox, now where is my endorsement check???
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby Curt on Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:38 pm

David is right. I actually have DVR, but call it Tivo :oops: Almost everyday I click on the schedule and look at what I want to record within the next 24 hours. Some weekends, I record 12-15 hours of Sports Car racing. Of course, I have to erase my wife and my kids saved crap on my DVR, but who pays the bill? That's right! :lol:

I mean seriously, I forgot to mention Motorsport Mundial, and the European ELMS races. The 24 hours of Lemans, the 24 hours of Nurburgring, ETCC, BTCC, DTM, Australian V8 Supercar, and I didn't notice it this year, but previous years had about 40 hours of SCCA run-offs races.

There has got to be at least 400 hours a year of cool sports car racing shown on Speed TV, not counting re-runs. I don't have time for it all, and I have alot more spare time than the average guy 8)

Plus, they cover every single race from every single "major" US sports car series. True, I think they should cover the PCASDR TT series too, but maybe I'm just biased.

That being said, I preferred them before Nascar took over and I feared the worst. The fear was unjustified IMO.
Curt Anderson
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:22 am

Curt wrote:Now I wouldn't watch a NASCAR race if my life depended on it. I hate that crap. But, I personally can't keep up with all the cool racing stuff Speed Tv still shows.
I will watch NASCAR when they go to Watkins Glen and Sears Point. The road course races are interesting, I think, but the roundy-round stuff bores me.

Otherwise I'm with Curt and David. I have to agree that my fears about the demise of Speedvision were unjustified, as there is still more good racing on it than I can spend the time watching. I don't have TIVO or DVR, but I'm still pretty handy with programming my VCR and I have a lot of tapes. :D

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Next

Return to General Discussions