From AX/DE to TT

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

From AX/DE to TT

Postby JHPGT3 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:15 pm

I was amazed at the turnout on Sunday, over 100 enthusiastic participants! How do we get a decent % of these folks to participate in some of our Time Trials? I know POC has established a goal (and some tactics) of getting STS participants into TTs and TT participants into Club Racing. IMHO, our TTs are the most fun you can have with 45-60 other Club members (thank-you, Jack M.), but it would be great to see some new blood from the AX/DE crowd. What do we need to do to accomplish this?
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby MikeD on Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:28 am

Spread the word!

As an example, I and others nagged Martin R. for 1.5 years before he came out to his first TT. Nag, nag, nag, they'll eventually come out :D.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Mike on Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:38 am

Sunday I saw several cars displaying an X. Seems the DE at the Q is a great first step towards TT participation.
Maybe some of these X cars were AX drivers testing a DE event in anticipation of the demise of the Qualcomm stadium parking lot.

I expect the board has discussed how to mitigate the future loss of AX income.
Clearly it would be good if a large portion of the AX drivers crossed over to DE/TT events.

With that in mind perhaps another DE or two should be added at the Q next year to get more drivers prepared for DE/TT.
Mike
Club Racer

Postby Curt on Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:52 am

Has anyone driven a POC STS event recently? I have, and it sucked. WAY too many cars made it nearly impossible to get a clean lap the entire day.

My understanding is that the TT's are at least breaking even or normally even turning a slight profit. Hmmmmm

So should we tell everyone about the secret beach with all the best waves too? :D
Curt Anderson
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby Rsylvestri on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:52 pm

I was one of the X cars, had a great time and would love to experiment with a TT. Most of my concerns are roll bar, racing seats, back brace and that is just my list of things to feel safe. I may try one before all the mods, I still would want a 70/30 street/track car when the day was done.
This was my first DE and my instructor was Mark Wichman, I had a B/K harness bar 4 point Schroth (had 6 point but wouldn't work on B/K lap attachment) and a halon. I felt safe except for some other X drivers hitting the brakes to let me go by before the passing cones. :shock:
He let me go and signed me off after the middle of the second run and recomended me for TT's. In regards to doing a TT, do I need to do another DE before I am eligable for a TT? I've got 7 AX and 1 DE under my belt.
It seems this will be the only venue in the coming years around here unless a track that can make environmentalists, politicians, San Diegans and drivers happy is built.
My $.03
'76 Carrera 3.0 #418 CC07
'95 993 C4, sold
'77 911S targa 3.2
'09/'10/'11/12' TT Tech chair
Rsylvestri
Time Trialer

Postby RickK on Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:37 pm

7 ax and 1 DE is plenty to have you qualified for TTs. The min. requirement is 4 ax or 2 ax and the 2 day school the club puts on.
RickK
Time Trialer

Postby JHPGT3 on Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:56 pm

Rsylvestri wrote:I was one of the X cars, had a great time and would love to experiment with a TT. Most of my concerns are roll bar, racing seats, back brace and that is just my list of things to feel safe. I may try one before all the mods, I still would want a 70/30 street/track car when the day was done.
This was my first DE and my instructor was Mark Wichman, I had a B/K harness bar 4 point Schroth (had 6 point but wouldn't work on B/K lap attachment) and a halon. I felt safe except for some other X drivers hitting the brakes to let me go by before the passing cones. :shock:
He let me go and signed me off after the middle of the second run and recomended me for TT's. In regards to doing a TT, do I need to do another DE before I am eligable for a TT? I've got 7 AX and 1 DE under my belt.
It seems this will be the only venue in the coming years around here unless a track that can make environmentalists, politicians, San Diegans and drivers happy is built.
My $.03

Our TT schedule is not out yet, but should be soon. Please plan on coming out to the first event. You'll have a ball. It's a great addiction to share with a very fun group. :D
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Rsylvestri on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:43 am

I almost forgot I went to the Performance driving school Dec./03
I was talking to some of the guys and it seems some of the TT tracks are more Novice freindly. I heard the HANS is going to be enforced in '07', so I guess that means the rules stay the same in '06'? I'll look for the rules, regs. and requirements here.
Thanks guys, I'll check here for the new schedule.
Rick
'76 Carrera 3.0 #418 CC07
'95 993 C4, sold
'77 911S targa 3.2
'09/'10/'11/12' TT Tech chair
Rsylvestri
Time Trialer

slight correction

Postby jack miller on Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:38 pm

RickK wrote:7 ax and 1 DE is plenty to have you qualified for TTs. The min. requirement is 4 ax or 2 ax and the 2 day school the club puts on.

TT prerequisite is 6 AX or equivalent. Any 6 track days will usually do. Driving school counts as two.

Schedule is set as you can see from another post. We're happy to have new drivers. At this point, I don't see any worry about having too many cars (a la POC). Mark your calendar.
jack miller
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions