Roll cages are expensive, but........

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Roll cages are expensive, but........

Postby Curt on Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:59 pm

I'm not sure if most of you saw this buried on page 5 of the Hans device thread, so I'll re-post it here. It really hits home when you see it happen live and happen to know who the guy is hanging there in his restraints.

I was at the HSR races in Palm Springs this weekend. From the grandstands, all I could see was a huge trail of dust. When the dust cleared, I saw that it was Ted Myrus' car and the firemen were sprinting to it. I was relieved when I saw Ted get out. The car looked bad when he was putting it in the trailer. I hope it can be saved.

Ted said it rolled 2.5 times!!!!!

Curt Anderson
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:23 pm

Yes, I saw this in the other thread but glad you posted this in it's own space. I installed a new cage about 1 year ago because I was worried about an impact of any sort. Our Porsche's are built very well, but not so well that they would not cave in on you. Cages are expensive ( a good is a few grand) but how much is your life worth? I decide mine was worth more than $2000 :)
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:07 pm

WOW. I am glad to hear Ted is ok. I am not sure if a H.A.N.S. helps much on a roll, but maybe it does. I though it's main use is on headon impact with a wall or non moving object. The roll bar or roll cage is a must no doubt there.

:( Sad, I really loved this 356 and it's vintage color theme and racing look. I hope Ted and his car will be back on track soon.
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Ted

Postby Paul Davis on Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:38 pm

:D :( :D :(

HI Ted, Paul Davis here. I am glad you are Ok, but very sorry for your loss of your car. I must tell you, as Kathy and i drove up through the pits and I saw your car with a cover on it, my heart dropped to the ground, my first reaction from the cover was that you had not faired well. Thank goodness this was not the case.

I was happy to see you moving around very comfortably with no apparent issues, that Hans couldn't have hurt.

If there is anything we can do, just give us a call, see you guys on Sunday if you make it by.

Paul Davis
If your not scared, your not going fast enough
Paul Davis

Postby Ted Myrus on Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:25 pm

Thanks for everyones' concern and best wishes. Physically I'm O.K. just some soreness on the top of my shoulders. The harness yanks down when you do a little inverted flight. The emergency crew are top flight. They arrived promptly, inquired as to my condition, righted the car, and extricated me. They asked where the battery switch was and I said on the top of the left front fender. They had tip the car to kill the battery before rolling it on to its feet. I had already shut off the ignition and fuel pump.

With regard to safety equipment my car has race seats, a full cage, window net, 5-points, and fire supression system. I wear a full face helmet with a face shield. I've had the cage 3+ years and the HANS this year. All year I've critized the HANS for restricting my lateral movement and visability. They're designed primarily for whip lash and to prevent spinal injury, however, in my case limiting my head from bobbing around was a good thing.

My crash was a result of driver error. I took my eye off the ball. I'd been around those two turns numerous times, knew the line and my capability. However, mid point in the turn I took the opportunity to pass a 911 on the inside, had a bad line, carried too much speed, came out of the corner out of shape, put a wheel in the dirt that resulted in an "E ticket" ride.

My first evaluation of the damage to the car is that it is mostly cosmetic. There is not one straight panel on it! Needs a roof clip and a left front fender. I think the rest of it is repairable. Mechanically it looks reasonable.

I must appoligize to my wife and son for scaring them. :wink:
Ted Myrus
Time Trialer

Postby TheStig on Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:59 am

Thank God you're ok Ted. I'm sorry to hear about the car. You made the right choice for safety equipment though and prove that these products are most effective on reducing injury. I hope you can get the 356 back together there. At least it was the car and not the man behind the wheel that got hurt.

Good luck to you Ted.
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
1986 Porsche 944 #382 Up For Sale - Inquire Within!
1987 Porsche 928 S4 If it's too loud, you're too old!Image
TheStig
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions