data acquisition systems

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby kary on Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:45 pm

A thing an instructor mentioned to me about the video was you could compare lines/apex points more accurately than the mapping systems that are using gps and the accelerometer interpolation . . . specifically he mentioned brake pressure changes during braking . . .

Rarely have I seen any video that could show difference in lines due to camera position. Only the most expensive systems with multiple cameras are ever going to really show you where the car is on the track. It is hard to see where the car is over the front fenders with those videos.

You are correct that GPS wheel spin calculated lines are not perfect but then they are relative comparisons, not absolute. Don't try and over analyze and do not try and over do it. Use DA for comparison purposes at the moment. You will soon out grow video as any sort of tool and it takes far too long to analyze.

In the spirit of sharing do let us know what you decide upon though!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby sean996 on Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:08 pm

Tim Comeau wrote:I was just reading about the xtreme3x.com product. Cool that it integrates up to 4 cameras at once with the data. I've put in a call to them regarding recording time capability. Retail is 3K! :shock:

Tim,

That website didn't work . .. is that address right?

Thanks,

Sean
sean996
Autocrosser

Postby sean996 on Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:15 pm

kary wrote:
A thing an instructor mentioned to me about the video was you could compare lines/apex points more accurately than the mapping systems that are using gps and the accelerometer interpolation . . . specifically he mentioned brake pressure changes during braking . . .

Rarely have I seen any video that could show difference in lines due to camera position. Only the most expensive systems with multiple cameras are ever going to really show you where the car is on the track. It is hard to see where the car is over the front fenders with those videos.

You are correct that GPS wheel spin calculated lines are not perfect but then they are relative comparisons, not absolute. Don't try and over analyze and do not try and over do it. Use DA for comparison purposes at the moment. You will soon out grow video as any sort of tool and it takes far too long to analyze.

In the spirit of sharing do let us know what you decide upon though!

Will do Kary, thanks again.

Sean
sean996
Autocrosser

Postby kary on Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:27 pm

sean996 wrote:
Tim Comeau wrote:I was just reading about the xtreme3x.com product. Cool that it integrates up to 4 cameras at once with the data. I've put in a call to them regarding recording time capability. Retail is 3K! :shock:

Tim,

That website didn't work . .. is that address right?

Thanks,

Sean

This product is not out yet but due at the end of the year start of next year. I have been talking with racepak about the product but no real information about it yet other than the price point is north of $2800.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby sean996 on Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:38 pm

I downloaded the race technology video demo . . . it basically allows you to sync as many independently captured videos as you want to their DA system . . . so this led me to figuring out the best way to capture multiple video sources.

Seems like there a few multi source DVR's around $500, but I'm not sure a car bouncing around a track or the Q is a friendly environment for the hard drives . . . so I investigated some wireless video feeds to send the data back to the DVR in the pits/parking lot . . . the video transmitters and receivers didn't seem to expensive (I'd want 4 though), but I wonder how they would do in our environment?

Things are definitely adding up to the point that a turn key system for $2-3k doesn't seem like too bad a deal, but this wouldn't have the live video feed to the pits which has got me geeked up :D

I'm going to contact the video transmitter manufacturer and I'll post any new developments.

Sean
sean996
Autocrosser

Previous

Return to General Discussions