Running a PCA club race, qualifications?

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Running a PCA club race, qualifications?

Postby kary on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:01 pm

I was trying to find the document for the rules for PCA club race in terms of car preparation and driver qualifications. Can someone point me to them or tell me at least the driver qualifications necessary?

Thanks!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby DonNewton on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:12 pm

Kary, beware of the following info as it may be somewhat dated and is derived from when I was CI in Potomac: To "qualify" for a PCA novice license, you need to have your local CDI write a letter to National attesting to your all-around good behavior and stellar looks, your ability to drive "in a crowd" without wetting yourself or causing someone else to wet themselves, and you must have completed "x" number of track days. So, it seems to me that you've accomplished just about all of those, except that stellar looks thing. You have to look good on the podium, ya' know. . . :twisted:
Don Newton
Newton DesignWerkes, Inc
619 948 9108
DonNewton

Postby kary on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:16 pm

DonNewton wrote:Kary, beware of the following info as it may be somewhat dated and is derived from when I was CI in Potomac: To "qualify" for a PCA novice license, you need to have your local CDI write a letter to National attesting to your all-around good behavior and stellar looks, your ability to drive "in a crowd" without wetting yourself or causing someone else to wet themselves, and you must have completed "x" number of track days. So, it seems to me that you've accomplished just about all of those, except that stellar looks thing. You have to look good on the podium, ya' know. . . :twisted:

Don thanks for the input. I suppose I should start kissing some butt with the CDI, eh?

Regarding the good looks I have a plan for that! I will wear my race suit and my helmet on the podium (If I make it to the podium), that way they cannot revoke my license after the fact. Now I just need to figure out a way to have the good looks to qualify for the novice license because I do not think they will talk to me about my qualification through my helmet :)
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby MikeD on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:54 pm

Kary,

When I went through the process almost 2 years ago, you needed 12 HPDE days within (I believe) a 2 year period (time with PCA, POC, NASA, & SCCA count, but I believe TracQuest [and similar groups] do NOT count). Plus you need, as Don suggested, a letter or recommendation from the Zone 8 CDI (Vince K., sorry region CDI's do not count). He recommended me, so I'm sure he'll have no problems recommending you. Once you have that and all the paperwork done you will get a call from the lovely , where she will grill you on the ins-and-outs of club racing.... j/k. Actually, it's about a 10 minute interview where she goes over some basic points.

Then you will become a "Rookie Candidate". This means that you will have to attend a briefing the night before your first race weekend. Then you will be required to participate in all the practices during the weekend. This will include the practice starts. And just before the first race of the weekend you will be presented with a certificate in the drivers meeting. Be ABSOLUTELY sure you attend this drivers meeting. No attendance, no certificate, no race... still rookie candidate for the next event... thank you for your money come back and see us again some time (actually, I believe the strictness of this policy depends on the steward, but I wouldn't want to put the entire weekend on their generosity).

Once you've done that you just have to do 4 races with a big X on the back of your car and your fully race licensed.

Now for the car... and for this you may want to double check the rules. I am not sure if your car is still in "stock" class or if it would be in GT. GT might require fuel cell and other stuff. But if you are still in stock (D or C depending on mods, if memory serves) you are almost there. Just add a cut-off switch, seat back brace, and make sure your roll bar meets the requirements. Other than that you should have everything else as your car is already TT ready.

If you want more help, lemme know I can spend a little time reviewing the rules to make sure I didn't miss anything.

HTH.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:04 am

Kary,

Try this, it is a link to the national club race link (which can be found on our wonderful SDR Rules page)

http://www.pca.org/pca/clubrace/docs/forms.htm
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby jrgordonsenior on Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:23 am

Kary it's a realitively easy process. I would start by calling Susan Shire, the PCA Club Racing License Coordinator at (847) 272-7785.
She can walk you through the process as she did me last May. You will easily qualify, hell I did!

http://www.pca.org/pca/clubrace/license.htm
Spec Boxster-sold
997 S-garage queen
jrgordonsenior
Autocrosser

Postby Chris Benbow on Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:00 pm

Also check the physical exam forms.
If you're over 40 yo you need to get an EKG. You will also need your blood type to put on your helmet.
Chris Benbow

Postby jrgordonsenior on Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:31 pm

Chris Benbow wrote:Also check the physical exam forms.
If you're over 40 yo you need to get an EKG. You will also need your blood type to put on your helmet.

The EKG is not mandatory. The verbage says "at age 40 a baseline EKG should be performed"
Spec Boxster-sold
997 S-garage queen
jrgordonsenior
Autocrosser

Postby JHPGT3 on Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:35 pm

jrgordonsenior wrote:

The EKG is not mandatory. The verbage says "at age 40 a baseline EKG should be performed"

Johnboy,
Is that your interpretation or did you get a ruling on that from PCA.
Shall we talk about how much fun we had this week-end?
JP
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby jrgordonsenior on Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:41 pm

JHPGT3 wrote:
jrgordonsenior wrote:

Johnboy,
JP

Well I didn't get one, of course my BP's 115/75....

I had such great visualizations of your face when I was blocking you in 3 & 4....I actually starting giggling there for a few moments until that bump going over 6 got my attention....
Spec Boxster-sold
997 S-garage queen
jrgordonsenior
Autocrosser

Postby kary on Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:22 pm

jrgordonsenior wrote:
JHPGT3 wrote:
jrgordonsenior wrote:

Johnboy,
JP

I had such great visualizations of your face when I was blocking you in 3 & 4....I actually starting giggling there for a few moments until that bump going over 6 got my attention....

John, so how was your G2X this weekend? JIm said his was great once he got the firmware set right!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby JHPGT3 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:51 am

kary wrote:
jrgordonsenior wrote:
JHPGT3 wrote:
jrgordonsenior wrote:

Johnboy,
JP

John, so how was your G2X this weekend? JIm said his was great once he got the firmware set right!

John, if you had looked in your rearview mirror, you would have seen my face and you wouldn't have needed "visualizations" --I was within inches of you at one point! :lol: (nice driving, and nice 2nd place finish in the race!)
Kary, I never got it mounted. There wasn't time. As a matter of fact, I never opened the box. Should we send it back to get the software fix Jim referred to?
Anyway, we had a great time at POC WSIR this week-end. John Gordon and I got our POC Comp Licenses (having completed our 2nd Racer's Clinic)and placed #2 and #3 in the race on Sunday :D . The only way it could have been better would have been to have had more PCA/SDR folks there!
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby MVZ944T on Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:03 am

Just remember why you got third Muffinhead!\\

PS. Good job, just with I had been running so I could squished the Bee!
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby JHPGT3 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:43 am

MVZ944T wrote:Just remember why you got third Muffinhead!\\

PS. Good job, just with I had been running so I could squished the Bee!

That was too bad about your car, Mike, but nice of you to stick around for the week-end. Did any of the video come out?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, you'll get your chance to squish the Bee in Jan.
:lol:
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions