Multi-Mirrors, would like input...

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Multi-Mirrors, would like input...

Postby kary on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:04 pm

Since I have started using a head and neck device I find that it might be useful to add one of those rear view mirrors that have multiple mirrors running across the top to aid in seeing around the car without having to move the head as much.

My question is what are the draw backs to such a thought? Anyone shed any experience with this?

Thanks!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby lowyder993s on Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:20 am

This is what I use:

http://www.allviewmirror.com/

It's nice in that it doesn't have the sections like a wink type mirror does. If you're going into club racing (and it looks like you are...woohoo!), you'll most certainly want 1 of these over the conventional windshield mounted mirror. They eliminate the blind spots where guys like to hide just before turn in. I also stuck convex mirrors on BOTH outside mirrors. I don't want to be the guy that shuts the door on a faster closing car. So...will we see you @ CFOS club racing? Vegas?
Jim
97 c2s street
76 RSR wing-thing #352 track -for sale
71 3.8 RS+ Track
lowyder993s
Time Trialer

Postby Pete Millikin on Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:32 pm

The wink mirrors have flat mirror panels but give great visibility because the panels are individually oriented to the driver position. Cars appearing on the mirror ends (the ones in passing position) aren't reduced in size as with the convex mirror styles like Longacre.

The allview mirrror is a single, larger, flat mirror. This helps but might not give the visibility of a Wink mirror.

That said, Wink mirrors are pretty cheaply made and take some familiarization. People tend to either love em or hate em
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:56 pm

Kary:

I've driven a couple of cars equipped with the Wink mirrors as Instructor. The way they're set up, the "seams" are invisible, making for a single broad image ... at least in the cars I've driven.

Although a bit slower in speed, the wink mirror gave me superior viewing (as opposed to conventional mirors) at the DE's with nothing more than a shift of the eyes.... I like them. I also drove an early 911 at Fontana with a wink mirror. It worked well for me. My student was the same height as me, so I think that helped make it work well.

I think Pete's comments are all valid.

My 2 cents.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby MikeD on Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:25 pm

lowyder993s wrote:This is what I use:

http://www.allviewmirror.com/

It's nice in that it doesn't have the sections like a wink type mirror does. If you're going into club racing (and it looks like you are...woohoo!), you'll most certainly want 1 of these over the conventional windshield mounted mirror. They eliminate the blind spots where guys like to hide just before turn in. I also stuck convex mirrors on BOTH outside mirrors. I don't want to be the guy that shuts the door on a faster closing car. So...will we see you @ CFOS club racing? Vegas?

For a guy who spends so much time behind everyone you seem to have spent a LOT of time, money, energy focused on the rear. ;)

I have a wink mirror, but have not installed it yet. I think I'll like it once it's there though. It seemed like the thing to do when I test fitted it.

Jae loaned me a big mirror that clamped on my stock rear-view. Didn't really work well in my cockpit with the tiny little rear window I have.

HTH
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Chris Benbow on Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:55 pm

Having spent a lot of time over the past two years in the 944 spec with cup cars blowing by at 50 mph differentials I can whole heartedly endorse the Wink. It gives a nice, undistorted (objects in the mirror aren't closer than they seem) panoramic view of what is behind. The only place you can't see is behind your own head.
Placement can be an issue depending on how close to the windshield you're sitting. Also with a roll cage there is a bar up there competing for space, but generally it's not a problem.
Get the 5 mirror model as this is the best width to fill the space.
Construction isn't bulletproof but I never had a problem. I've heard the the mirrors can eventually come loose and fall out at inopportune moments. The solution is to put a dab of silicone adhesive into the inner corners of each mirror.
With racing they're indispensable, IMHO.
Last edited by Chris Benbow on Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Benbow

Postby lowyder993s on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:49 am

For a guy who spends so much time behind everyone you seem to have spent a LOT of time, money, energy focused on the rear.

Uhhh...I didn't see you @ POC racing this weekend.

I'd be careful installing that Wink...it may be awful close to that big head of yours! :wink:

When you going out next? My brother got signed off for POC racing, so we'll be doing the Tribute. Let's try to finish this race for once and not soil the track, K? :twisted:
Jim
97 c2s street
71 3.8 RS+ Track
lowyder993s
Time Trialer

Postby MikeD on Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:27 am

lowyder993s wrote: Uhhh...I didn't see you @ POC racing this weekend.

Nope, had to miss it :(. And I was in turmoil all weekend because of it :( :(.

lowyder993s wrote: I'd be careful installing that Wink...it may be awful close to that big head of yours! :wink:

Who me :shock: ?!?!?!

lowyder993s wrote: When you going out next?

Hopefully the Jan TT, but that's not for sure yet.

lowyder993s wrote: My brother got signed off for POC racing, so we'll be doing the Tribute.

Excellent! So he was in the clinic ths past weekend? Ethan and I will be in the 4 hour (not sure which car yet though). I presume you two will do the full enduro?

lowyder993s wrote:Let's try to finish this race for once and not soil the track, K? :twisted:

Yeah, yeah, yeah! Like it made any difference at all :roll:
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby lowyder993s on Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:34 am

Yeah...we'll do the 4 hr. Ethan's a brave man if he puts you in his car. It'll be fun...we'll have a few battles each time we lap you guys. Smack talk and it's still 6 mos away :roll:
Jim
97 c2s street
71 3.8 RS+ Track
lowyder993s
Time Trialer

Postby MVZ944T on Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:42 pm

Kary,

I have one in my car, was in it when I bought it. Works good, would not want to be without it.

Mike
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions