Thought for 996 bashers...

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Thought for 996 bashers...

Postby rss996 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:38 am

Any of you "Air cooled" fanatics ever stop to think that if it was not for the 996, and the "grocery getters", Porsche might be out of Business? You could be paying more, than you already are, for parts...Oh I forgot, one does not usually need any parts for their soul.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Maybe you should thank the next person you see in the "best selling C4 CAB"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just something to ponder! :twisted:

Have a nice day! :lol:
rss996
Autocrosser

Postby Curt on Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:49 am

Who cares what we think anyway?

By the way, most of the "enthusiasts" I talk to have no problem whatsoever with the Boxster. Of course, we'll never admit it in person to their owners. Hairdressers have to drive something, don't they? :D :lol:

Parts might be cheaper, if other companies were allowed to make and sell them.
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby rss996 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:12 am

I have seen all the garb on rennlist etc of the 996 haters over the last couple of years. I do agree that the 997 front looks better but I think its a reach to say the"hips" are back, how much wider is it than the 996? Seems to look only a hair wider from the rear to me....

Anyway, I think the 997 will be an inprovement over the 996 and that each generation is better than the previous one. That is what this SHORT TIME enthusiast believes.

All in all Porsche needed to get mainstream or die, so its project 996 might go down as the lowly era that saved the company from ruins....

See you Sat! :D
rss996
Autocrosser

Postby David J Marguglio on Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:16 am

Just so we are clear, it was the boxster that saved the fledging company. So perhaps you should all thank Mike, Martin, meself, and all the other hairdressers out there. :lol:
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby MikeD on Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:27 am

Curt wrote:By the way, most of the "enthusiasts" I talk to have no problem whatsoever with the Boxster. Of course, we'll never admit it in person to their owners. Hairdressers have to drive something, don't they? :D :lol:

Ha!! A closet Boxster lover! Plus the Tinky Winky outfit. I wonder if there's something Curt needs to ... wait, hold on... forget I said anything... nevermind.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby MikeD on Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:43 am

David J Marguglio wrote:Just so we are clear, it was the boxster that saved the fledging company. So perhaps you should all thank Mike, Martin, meself, and all the other hairdressers out there. :lol:

People like to forget that little fact Dave. That and the fact that the 996 was derived from the Boxster and not the other way around. "Why, the 996 just has to be the best, first, etc, it's... it's... it's the FLAGSHIP after all!" So the Boxster could NOT have saved the company in the 90's and the Cayenne could NOT have saved the company in the 00's. Wonder what's going to save the company come 2010? Hmmm... maybe... here's an orignal thought: RACING!!!

I don't despise the 996, it is a decent car. Although, I think the only version I would probably own as a driver would be the GT3. But I do get tired of this attitude that it is the best car Porsche ever made, everything else is just a filler in space and time. Because after all no company ever in the history of man has ever gone backwards in their thinking, manufacturing process, design, or management. That just never happens!
Mike Dougherty
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Jad on Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:03 am

Don't forget, the 993, Boxster, 996 and Cayenne would never have existed were it not for the first savior, the 944 :D

Unfortunately, I don't see how racing is going to save the company. Every series, including F1, is trying to become a spec series so that no one dominates and all the manufacturers have a chance to win and thus spend money. Hard to save a company like Porsche by running neck and neck with the 350Z, BMW, Lexus, etc. Unless you have M. Schumacher driving, it is really hard to dominate as even in F1 they are doing everything the can to slow him down, just failing for now. IRL Chevy engines are partially built by Ford? Nascar has no variation other than headlight sticker and if someone does lose, they get to change until they don't. Same with SCCA touring and GT. How can a Focus, Protege, MX6, Acura RSX & TSX, BMW 3 series, Nissan Sentra and who knows what else all be basically equal? The proposed rule changes in F1 are nearly as bad. Makes for fun close racing, but doesn't convince me to go buy a particular brand.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby David J Marguglio on Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:23 am

Yeah, I agree with all that Jad. Pretty soon all the pro teams will be racing spec 944. But I do think it would be helpful for Porsche to field a LM team if only for LM and skip ALMS and that new euro endurance series. Hell, look what it did for Audi. Case in point, when my wife was looking to replace her 3-series I made her go drive the A4. Prior to their racing effort and domination in P900, I would never event have thougth about an Audi. They still think suck, but thats another story.

I think, therefore, by picking and choosing the right venue, that Porsche could significantly increase their market perception and appease those of us that have been patiently waiting since 1998 for the triumphant return.
Maria Sharapova
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby MikeD on Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:23 am

Well, Jad you named just about every series except the ones that Porsche might actually participate in: ALMS and Le Mans. Check out page 34 of your August Pano. And that's not the only place I've heard that rummor. Dave Maraj (owner of Champion Motorsports) claimed that after a few years of development he would consider switching from the Audi R8 to the "new Porsche LMP" car. After all he does own the Worlds Largest Porsche Dealership.

Maybe Porsche itself will not compete but it is possible we'll see a Porsche running at the front of the pack in ALMS and Le Mans in 2006 (or so).
Mike Dougherty
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby David J Marguglio on Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:25 am

jinx!
Maria Sharapova
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:41 am

I hope you are right, but exactly how many people in the US watch those series or can name who won? Porsche may do it, but I don't see those series saving Porsche. Most people who know, already associate Porsche with LeMans dominance. A little bit of 'what have you done lately', but I think most believe that if Porsche really tries again, they will win. Although, they do need to maintain that rep despite the Cayenne and rumored 4 dr sedan 989. We'll see. :?
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Curt on Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:03 pm

rss996 wrote:I have seen all the garb on rennlist etc of the 996 haters over the last couple of years. I do agree that the 997 front looks better but I think its a reach to say the"hips" are back, how much wider is it than the 996? Seems to look only a hair wider from the rear to me....

Anyway, I think the 997 will be an inprovement over the 996 and that each generation is better than the previous one. That is what this SHORT TIME enthusiast believes.

:D

Each generation is better than the previous one? Holy smoke! You would be hard pressed to find any knowledgeable Porsche enthusiast who would agree that the 74-77 911 was better than the 69-73. I think that the 74-77's were a transition FROM a great car TO another great car in the SC. It just took Porsche a few years to get back on track. My prediction is that years from now another era of Porsche will also be considered a transition.

As for hips..... you must be kidding about this one, right? Lets say that an average 14 year old boys hips are probably the same WIDTH as a curvaceous WOMANS hips. One of them is sexy, curvy, alluring, mesmerizing, and the other is just the same number on a tape measure. The 996 guys just keep pointing to numbers on a chart, over and over. The main attraction of Porsche's has never been only about plain math. It used to be an overwhelming assault on ALL THE SENSES, well maybe not the sense of taste. :lol: Now it's just an underwhelming bottom line of numbers that look good on a piece of paper. I feel no PASSION for the 996. Back to woman analogies, the 996 is like the kind of woman your mom would want you to marry.

Hey, I was never any good with a slide rule anyways......
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby Curt on Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:15 pm

MikeD wrote:
Curt wrote:By the way, most of the "enthusiasts" I talk to have no problem whatsoever with the Boxster. Of course, we'll never admit it in person to their owners. Hairdressers have to drive something, don't they? :D :lol:

Ha!! A closet Boxster lover! Plus the Tinky Winky outfit. I wonder if there's something Curt needs to ... wait, hold on... forget I said anything... nevermind.

Mike,
Are you propositioning me? :lol:
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby David J Marguglio on Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:41 pm

Another point I forgot to mention in previous posts is that Dr. P believed that racing was the lifeblood of his car company. In fact, Porsche owes what it is today, both as a producer of cars and as a design company, to its racing heritage. But for the cutting edge engineering, development, and testing that only comes from racing, our street cars would not be the cars that they today and Porsche would not enjoy the reputation that it does. This is one of the reasons that I cringe when people talk about the club putting too much emphasis on performance driving and not enough on the social aspect. UGH!

Now, if you remove your company from that cutting edge environment for too long it will eventually stagnate. Most technology developed in racing has, and hopefully will continue to be, filtered down into production cars. In fact, we would not even have the C-GT if Porsche hadn’t designed the engine and much of its push rod suspension in 1998 for its next prototype car.

Porsche simply can not rest on it laurels. Go racing damn it!!!
Last edited by David J Marguglio on Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maria Sharapova
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby Curt on Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:13 pm

Social aspect of the Porsche Club? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

THIS IS the social aspect of the Porsche Club, smack talking about cars and racing in between driving events! :D
Curt
Time Trialer

Next

Return to General Discussions