G2X Datalogger 1st Impressions

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

G2X Datalogger 1st Impressions

Postby lowyder993s on Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:27 pm

I've been looking for awhile for an affordable datalogger. I purchased a Racepak G2X from Kary @ Group9motorsports. It is GPS based. This weekend was its maiden voyage @ Willow Springs. Here's what I found:
Easy to mount...the G2x comes w/ a dash display...unlike others like the DL1 which requires a separate purchase. I mounted the display in the center of the dash angled towards the driver. I have a gutted out car, so drilling holes in it is no biggee. A streeter, may want to use a bracket w/ a velcro attachment. The display has big #'s and are easy to see in bright sunlight. It displays Tach and speedo in real time or during race conditions you can set to lap # and lap time. It has user programmable shift lights and a gear selection display in the middle.
The brain was mounted on the passenger floor. The antenna has a strong magnet on the bottom, it can be mounted on the roof and has been tested to 190 mph. I chose to stick it on the dash and it picked up the satellites just fine. I was able to completely program the unit in about 20 min. I got real good at it since the factory forgot to do a bench test that allows the display and brain to work together. It would not hold my shift points or remember my gear ratios when I turned the car off. Racepak told me how to do the test and now all should be fine.
Info:
There was a wealth of info that was recorded and stored in the flash card. I downloaded to my computer and was able to see what my section times were and lateral G's thru the corners. It also gives a teoretical fastest lap for the session (about 3/4 sec. faster than my fastest lap time). Theoretical fastest lap would be the lap w/ the fastest time in the session for each corner and straight. I'm still muddling my way thru all the info, but when uploaded and evaluated at the track (which is what I plan to do), should make for some significant changes to lap times.
If you're interested, contact Kary at Group 9 motorsports or go to the Racepak website @ www.racepak.com.
I have no interest or affiliation in either, just a short evaluation on a new toy.
Jim
97 c2s street
76 RSR wing-thing #352 track -for sale
71 3.8 RS+ Track
lowyder993s
Time Trialer

Postby Curt on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:45 pm

Sounds very cool. The "theoretical fast lap time" is based on combining your best times through each section of the track?
Curt Anderson
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:59 pm

Curt wrote:Sounds very cool. The "theoretical fast lap time" is based on combining your best times through each section of the track?

Yes.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Mike on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:22 pm

First off I have no experience with data log interpretation.
I am very interested in getting one myself.

Perhaps in the future this forum can provide a place for all the compatible data log system users to share lap data.

Theoretical fast lap time.
Is this lap time possibly not attainable?
On occasion “best” section times may have occurred to the detriment of either or both the preceding and/or following sections.
With this data should a racer first validate the section times in a theoretical fast lap before using it as a meaningful goal?

:rockon: I predict Jim will get his 1:28 in 06!
Mike
Club Racer

Postby kary on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:32 pm

Mike wrote:First off I have no experience with data log interpretation.
I am very interested in getting one myself.

Perhaps in the future this forum can provide a place for all the compatible data log system users to share lap data.

Theoretical fast lap time.
Is this lap time possibly not attainable?
On occasion “best” section times may have occurred to the detriment of either or both the preceding and/or following sections.
With this data should a racer first validate the section times in a theoretical fast lap before using it as a meaningful goal?

:rockon: I predict Jim will get his 1:28 in 06!

Mike, I think that in certain situations track lines from one lap to another might cause the best lap to be not completely true. On the other hand most of the time the laps follow the same line and it is related to how fast you can enter a corner. It appears to me from looking at Jim's data, that entering turns faster than slower, higher G loads, yields his fastest lap. He can get more in each corner following the same line if he can do it in every corner for a single lap. I think it is pretty close. So get max G's in each corner and you can measure this by looking at all the corners that are logged.

By the way, Jim's fastest theoretical lap would be in the 28's. He will do it using this tool. He already explained to me via email what he saw in the data. Just needs a bit more time to work with the tool and his driving, just a matter of time!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby lowyder993s on Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:20 am

I predict Jim will get his 1:28 in 06!

Jim will get his 28 next week.

I was on hoosiers w/ 10 cycles and a bad rear bearing. The bearing is fixed and I've got stickers to use w/ ACRA.

The theoretical fast lap time was based on 12 laps, of which 4 were in the :29's and 6 were in the 30:'s. Lap 1 and 12 were throwaways since they were warmup and cool down laps.

I think the theoretical fast time IS attainable. What may occur is that when session lap times are closer (running more consistantly), the TFL will be closer to what the fastest lap time is. In general, I don't do susp. or tire pressure changes. W/ this I feel the G2 will be able to show if setup changes affect lap times.
BTW...there has been some discussion as to how accurate GPS is at plotting COG (course over ground) The G2 had my fastest lap @ 1:29.120...timing and scoring for the event (AMB) had it @ 1:29.117. That is about a 1 ft. difference. Close enough for me.
Jim
97 c2s street
71 3.8 RS+ Track
lowyder993s
Time Trialer

Postby JHPGT3 on Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:20 pm

lowyder993s wrote:

I was on hoosiers w/ 10 cycles and a bad rear bearing. The bearing is fixed and I've got stickers to use w/ ACRA.

The theoretical fast lap time was based on 12 laps, of which 4 were in the :29's and 6 were in the 30:'s. Lap 1 and 12 were throwaways since they were warmup and cool down laps.

I think the theoretical fast time IS attainable. What may occur is that when session lap times are closer (running more consistantly), the TFL will be closer to what the fastest lap time is. In general, I don't do susp. or tire pressure changes. W/ this I feel the G2 will be able to show if setup changes affect lap times.
BTW...there has been some discussion as to how accurate GPS is at plotting COG (course over ground) The G2 had my fastest lap @ 1:29.120...timing and scoring for the event (AMB) had it @ 1:29.117. That is about a 1 ft. difference. Close enough for me.

FWIW, rumor has it (shhhh --we must keep this a secret) that Jim did 1:27.4 at Willow this week!!! But, don't say I told you!!
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:01 pm

JHPGT3 wrote:
lowyder993s wrote:

FWIW, rumor has it (shhhh --we must keep this a secret) that Jim did 1:27.4 at Willow this week!!! But, don't say I told you!!

Yes, he did!!! Well done Jim!!!

I think he is finding that the tool yields results. I think 26's are certainly possible. I did not ask him what the theorectical best time was given his faster times. Maybe 25's ??? :wink:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby lowyder993s on Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:20 pm

In regards to the Theoretical Fastest Lap, I don't know what's worse...you two or the computer :wink:

I'm just diggin' this toy! Got it programmed to hold the gearing and shift points. Next hurdle was setting start finish. Worked like a charm, now I've got a hot lap timer for sale! Display shows lap time as the car crosses start/finish and holds to T1. Planning on being @ WSIR in Jan. Look out Dawson! :P
Jim
97 c2s street
71 3.8 RS+ Track
lowyder993s
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:43 am

JHPGT3 wrote: FWIW, rumor has it (shhhh --we must keep this a secret) that Jim did 1:27.4 at Willow this week!!! But, don't say I told you!!
WOW! A 1:27.4? Jim, you're my new hero! That's faster than Kevin Roush's V3 track record at WSIR. Or is your car in V2 now with the 3.2 and other improvements?

:bowdown:

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby lowyder993s on Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:07 am

Or is your car in V2 now with the 3.2 and other improvements?
No...it's a V1 car now. Believe me...I'm no Kevin Roush, not by a long shot. I'm running 4 sec a lap behind the mid-pack cup cars, so in a sprint race I usually don't get lapped.
Jim
97 c2s street
71 3.8 RS+ Track
lowyder993s
Time Trialer

Postby JHPGT3 on Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:33 am

Kary,
Just for the record, the timer had nothing to do with Jim's improved results this time. Maybe next time.
He hadn't used it to analyze anything prior to doing his 1:27s. He was just using the display in the cockpit, which he really likes.
Why don't we just follow him around the track, do some 1:27s and send the other timers back!!! :lol:
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Red Rooster on Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:51 am

Just want to say I can vouch for Jim and his 1:27.48 It's valid 'fo sure. I was there and Jim called me over to check out his cockpit display...I was doing consistant 1:30.xx laps that same session and I could not stay with him.

Jim was safely driving at W A R P speed....all day

Kudos to ya bud...you deserve it. :D
Johnny Riz
Red 73 911 AM #255
Red Rooster
Autocrosser

Postby lowyder993s on Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:59 am

Thanks Grizwold :D

Fun time for sure...we'll have you in the :29's in Jan! Had some fun w/ the longhoods out there as well. Here's some of Riz and those guys:

http://videos.streetfire.net/player.asp ... CD337520FD

Here's some more, including Mike G and his phat a$$ ride!

http://videos.streetfire.net/player.asp ... EE33087995

Fixed bad links
Jim
97 c2s street
71 3.8 RS+ Track
lowyder993s
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:21 am

JHPGT3 wrote:Kary,
Just for the record, the timer had nothing to do with Jim's improved results this time. Maybe next time.
He hadn't used it to analyze anything prior to doing his 1:27s. He was just using the display in the cockpit, which he really likes.
Why don't we just follow him around the track, do some 1:27s and send the other timers back!!! :lol:

John, if you believe that the tool had nothing to do with his recent times you are not understanding the tool. He understands from his previous data that he can go faster into corners than he did before. What you are seeing is him improving on what his first session with the tool told him to do. Maybe some newer tires helped too but he is just getting into now. God knows what he will be capable of once he really starts using the tool.........Yikes!!!!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Next

Return to General Discussions