Upcoming Willow Springs Time Trial

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby JHPGT3 on Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:21 pm

MikeD wrote:Point of order: "sub 1:30" is 1:29.9 and under. "1:30's and under" could be 1:30.9 and under.

Yeah, Mike, and you're probably one of these guys that would question or argue what the term "is" means!!! :lol:
Check your PMs re our lunch plan.
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Otto on Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:53 pm

Did you say Bernie Bogard in a GT-3? You are right then, between Bernie, Chris and Evan pushing each other, we will see a 1:30.
Otto H. Obrist
1986 944 Turbo # 577
Otto
Time Trialer

Postby MVZ944T on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:03 am

I have to agree with John (did I say that). Weather permitting, this will probably see a lot of pretty fast cars and one of the more hotly contested red run groups in recent history. If we can get Chris O'Donnel to bring his car, it will give all of us something to chase. Jae, are you listening?
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:36 am

JHPGT3 wrote:I need to clarify something (I'm not hedging; I really didn't make myself clear). When I said sub 1:30, I didn't add fractions, but I MEANT any 1:30 time from 1:30.0 to 1:30.99.
Please don't bet me --7 out of the 10 are already there. I just need three more to step up to the plate, and I know what happens, especially with certain members of this esteemed group when the competitive juices flow. :lol:
OK, that's all I'm saying!!!
My whole point was that this is going to be competitive like none other (at Willow), and I stand by it!!
P.S. I forgot John Gordon. If he shows up, he's also already in the :29s, so I've got 8 guys who are already there, with him. Of course, I'm assuming everyone else on my list shows up.
Incidently, the egg nog is indeed delicious tonight! :wink:

John, the reality of your forecast is simple, those that can do it in practice need to show up in the 2 timed runs and post the times. It is a little harder than practice runs given the tires are not warm, the wind comes up in the afternoon, the temperatures cool down, etc..... I agree though that the club driving is improving significantly. I like that!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby JHPGT3 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:13 am

kary wrote:
JHPGT3 wrote:I need to clarify something (I'm not hedging; I really didn't make myself clear). When I said sub 1:30, I didn't add fractions, but I MEANT any 1:30 time from 1:30.0 to 1:30.99.
Please don't bet me --7 out of the 10 are already there. I just need three more to step up to the plate, and I know what happens, especially with certain members of this esteemed group when the competitive juices flow. :lol:
OK, that's all I'm saying!!!
My whole point was that this is going to be competitive like none other (at Willow), and I stand by it!!
P.S. I forgot John Gordon. If he shows up, he's also already in the :29s, so I've got 8 guys who are already there, with him. Of course, I'm assuming everyone else on my list shows up.
Incidently, the egg nog is indeed delicious tonight! :wink:

John, the reality of your forecast is simple, those that can do it in practice need to show up in the 2 timed runs and post the times. It is a little harder than practice runs given the tires are not warm, the wind comes up in the afternoon, the temperatures cool down, etc..... I agree though that the club driving is improving significantly. I like that!

I've really never studied whether the norm is to do better in timed runs than practice runs or vice versa. My gut reaction is that most (not all) do their best times in the 2 timed runs and this is due to some combination of adrenalin and sandbagging!! Let's save all the data from next time out and look at it!!
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Willow times

Postby Bill Addy on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:30 pm

1:35:528, that was Tim Comeau's time during the Green group race 12/4/05 in his spec car in traffic :D . If those pesky 944 spec/GSR cars can do that, anything is possible :wink:

Good times...good times.
Bill Addy

92 968 Coupe
79 911SC (Shelley's)
85 944 (Jason's)
944spec (sold..DOH!)
Bill Addy
Autocrosser

Postby MVZ944T on Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:20 pm

One of the POC guys (Dillon I think), got down in the 1:34's last event in a spec car! He must have dis-connected his brakes!! Makes me feel like a weenie in my turbo.
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:22 am

MVZ944T wrote:One of the POC guys (Dillon I think), got down in the 1:34's last event in a spec car! He must have dis-connected his brakes!! Makes me feel like a weenie in my turbo.

MMMMMM, MMMMM, MMMMMMM! Gotta love what a $12K Porsche race car can do. Of course, being a good driver helps :roll: 8)

Your comment about having no brakes might just be true. :shock: As Dente told me once while instructing: "That pedal in the middle of a 944 floorboard is just for looks .... maybe a footrest, at best! Stay away from it and your times will improve dramatically." :lol: :lol:
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby jrgordonsenior on Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:16 pm

[quote="JHPGT3I've really never studied whether the norm is to do better in timed runs than practice runs or vice versa. My gut reaction is that most (not all) do their best times in the 2 timed runs and this is due to some combination of adrenalin and sandbagging!! Let's save all the data from next time out and look at it!![/quote]

Sandbagging John? Who in the world would do that???

I'm planning on attending.....
Spec Boxster-sold
997 S-garage queen
jrgordonsenior
Autocrosser

Postby jack miller on Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:00 pm

JHPGT3 wrote:
kary wrote:
JHPGT3 wrote:2 more thoughts:
I can name 10 for sure who will be at or below 1:30. And there are at least 2 more, who have a better than even chance to also be there.

Ok, name them.......

I hesitate doing this because I may have left someone out by mistake (my apologies to all I may unintentionally offend)

In no particular order

Dawson
Grosskemper
Gagen
Copp
Van Zandt
Meggs (a friend from POC)
Riz
Payne
Ehrman
Schmidt
also possible
Bogard
Benbow
Clements

Also there's Jack M. He could easily be Top 10 also. I just don't know what he's been doing lately.

I've lightened my car by 800 pounds, have a 3.8L being installed, and got a new, clean paint job, and...oh wow, Santa and his reindeer just flew by my Kona condo. Aloha from Hawaii.
jack miller
Autocrosser

Postby MVZ944T on Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:26 pm

Jack,

You just have way too much money. Ha ha! So what class will that put you in? That should put you back at the top of the heap for sure!
I am still contemplating building a 3.3ltr turbo. More hp, way more torque, less boost! Also more $$.

Merry Christmas,

Mike VZ
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby lowyder993s on Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:04 pm

I've lightened my car by 800 pounds, have a 3.8L being installed, and got a new, clean paint job, and...oh wow, Santa and his reindeer just flew by my Kona condo. Aloha from Hawaii.

Bastige :D Can't wait to see it go!
Jim
97 c2s street
76 RSR wing-thing #352 track -for sale
71 3.8 RS+ Track
lowyder993s
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:36 pm

jack miller wrote:
JHPGT3 wrote:
kary wrote:
JHPGT3 wrote:2 more thoughts:
I can name 10 for sure who will be at or below 1:30. And there are at least 2 more, who have a better than even chance to also be there.

Ok, name them.......

I hesitate doing this because I may have left someone out by mistake (my apologies to all I may unintentionally offend)

In no particular order

Dawson
Grosskemper
Gagen
Copp
Van Zandt
Meggs (a friend from POC)
Riz
Payne
Ehrman
Schmidt
also possible
Bogard
Benbow
Clements

Also there's Jack M. He could easily be Top 10 also. I just don't know what he's been doing lately.

Jack well done!!! I just did the same but only took out 500 lbs but I bought a 993 TT motor so things will be different at willow this January....
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:47 am

Am I missing something or was Jack just kidding. I thought the reference to seeing Santa fly by was as real as taking 800 lbs out of the car??? :?:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Chris Benbow on Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:50 am

I agree Jad,
It seems pretty difficult to take 800 lbs out of any Porsche without replacing a lot of body panels.
Chris Benbow

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions