EVO 2 seats for comfort/ N.County Roll bar Help

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

EVO 2 seats for comfort/ N.County Roll bar Help

Postby Rsylvestri on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:27 am

I'm thinking of buying the EVO2 seats and was wondering on the comfort. I've sat in the seat but not for an extended period of time.
I travel up north in the C4 about 5 times a year (7hr drive) and was wondering if I could just leave the new seats in for the trips.

Other than the Nor Cal. trips it is a weekend/AX/DE car, I'm in the process of trying out a Chrome Moly 1.5"roll bar w/seperate hoop that I'm buying from a local PCA'r S.Gerken. It didn't come with any hardware and it needs the 4 square plates with the welded bolts so I or some shop in N.County can install.
I'd like to try some TT's this year so seats & a roll bar are a must. I already have the Scroth 6 point cam lock.
Thanks in advance for any advice in my search.
Rick...
'76 Carrera 3.0 #418 CC07
'95 993 C4, sold
'77 911S targa 3.2
'09/'10/'11/12' TT Tech chair
Rsylvestri
Time Trialer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:23 am

Rick,

Just a heads up, but a 1.5in diameter bar is not legal under PCA Zone 8 rules.

Here is what the rules says:

Roll bars are mandatory in "open" cars, all cars entered in any Improved class or higher, and are strongly recommended in all cars. Roll bars are not mandatory for Autocross, but are recommended. Minimum dimensions are: Wall thickness .120", diameter 1¾". A 3/16" diameter hole shall be drilled in a non-critical area too allow verification of the wall thickness. The driver’s helmet must clear a “straight edge” placed between the top of the windshield directly in front of the driver’s head and the top of the roll bar directly behind the driver’s head. Boxsters may use a roll bar extension such as the Brey-Krause unit. The 996 Cabriolet will be measured using an 8.5” block to represent the hidden roll protection. Roll bars must be braced. Full roll cage dimension is 1½" diameter. The roll bar hoop and all braces must be seamless, ERW or DOM mild steel tubing or chrome molybdenum alloy steel such as SAE 4125 or SAE 4130. It is recommended that mild steel tubing be used as chromium alloys present difficulties in welding and must be normalized to relieve stress. Proof of the use of alloy steel will be the responsibility of the entrant. No aluminum roll bars or cages allowed. Full roll cages are required for cars without a supportive front windshield.

There may be changes to this rule for next year as I bellieve this bar is legal for POC and PCA club racing. However, it is not legal in Zone 8 for 2006 even if you are not mandated to have a bar. (running in stock class for example)

Steve Grosekemper
PCA-SDR Rules chair
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby RickK on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:24 pm

How can any bar not be okl if you are not mandated to have one at all?
RickK
Time Trialer

Postby Pete Millikin on Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:23 pm

Rick - I have the EVO 2 seats in my car. They are pretty roomy so would probably be ok for you. Give me a buzz and you can try them out.
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby MikeD on Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:13 pm

I've got EVO 2's also. Was orignially planning to swap them in and out. But they are comfortable enough to use all the time. I've driven to No. Cal. and back a few times. They could use a little more padding for the seat bottom, but other than that they were very comfortable.

HTH
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:01 pm

RickK wrote:How can any bar not be okl if you are not mandated to have one at all?

Let's say someone in PSS installs a few pieces of bent tubing held together with 6mm bolts and attached to the floor with #6 drywall screws. Now let's say they crash and the bar not only fails to protect them but contributes to their injury.

(Yes, I know this is an extreme exaggeration, but bare with me)

That bar is not legal for Z-8 and therefore by allowing it we can jeopardise our level of liability. The insurance states we run the event per zone 8 rules as a reasonable level of safety.

The rules are there so we don't have to evaluate every piece of equipment. Run items allowed by the rules and you will be OK.
Rules are also not perfect, and thats why they get modified every year.
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby RickK on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:19 pm

Steve,
Thanks for explaining that, I'm sure others were confused by that type of technicality as well.
RickK
Time Trialer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:34 pm

RickK wrote:Steve,
Thanks for explaining that, I'm sure others were confused by that type of technicality as well.

Well after all, I am the technicality chair... :wink:
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby Rsylvestri on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:16 pm

OK

I havn't paid for the bar and was wondering about the size. It had a Club Race sticker on it and the owner said to just see if it fits. I only want to do this once so I guess it's going back to the owner.

Now what I've read is the DAS is also illegal for PCA events, is this correct? I guess the AutoPower and the one from OG Racing will pass tech for DE's/TT's right?

Hey (Group9) Cary, You still running the special on 2-EVOs,brackets and sliders? I'll check your site...
'95 993 C4, sold
'77 911S targa 3.2
Rsylvestri
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:12 pm

Rsylvestri wrote:OK

I havn't paid for the bar and was wondering about the size. It had a Club Race sticker on it and the owner said to just see if it fits. I only want to do this once so I guess it's going back to the owner.

Now what I've read is the DAS is also illegal for PCA events, is this correct? I guess the AutoPower and the one from OG Racing will pass tech for DE's/TT's right?

Hey (Group9) Cary, You still running the special on 2-EVOs,brackets and sliders? I'll check your site...

They are available on the site, take a look!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Seats

Postby Rsylvestri on Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:30 am

Thanks for the offer Pete, I might just do that.

Kary, What is the time out when you order and receive these seats? I'll call you later in the day.
Also was wondering if the anti sub bar would work on the 993 or do I just have to drill holes for my 6point subs?

Rick
'95 993 C4, sold
'77 911S targa 3.2
Rsylvestri
Time Trialer

Postby 993Panzer on Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:55 pm

I have the DAS rollbar in my 993 and the EVO2 seats. Both work great for me. I've driven to Phoenix at least 4 times in the EVO2 seats, no problem though you may want more padding, my butt didn't mind the minimal padding.
Dave Gardner

1996 993 (cc5 #329)
993Panzer
Club Racer

Postby JamesWilson on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:11 pm

I won't butt in on a sale, but I have an EVO2 on display as well in San Diego if you can't try one out before ordering it. I will respect the wishes of Group9 and just offer a test-ride. FWIW, the "Evo" series of seats became discontinued from Sparco in December, get them while you can while we wait for a mystery new model to arrive.
This Space For Sale
JamesWilson
Autocrosser

Seats

Postby Rsylvestri on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:57 pm

Thanks James,

I'm not locked into anyone right now, just thought if I did get the EVO2's Kary's package was a good deal.
I'd also like to try some Pole Positions, I'm thinking of getting those in leather for wear/ more of a stock look.

Dave,
Is the DAS roll bar going to have to come out for zone 8 functions?

The roll bar I ordered is being made by Auto Power and will install in a few weeks.
If anyone has the Recaro PP I'll be going to the AX this Sunday and would appreciate a check on size.
Thanks, Rick
'95 993 C4, sold
'77 911S targa 3.2
Rsylvestri
Time Trialer

Postby JamesWilson on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:07 am

I have Recaro Pole Positions ready to sit in as well. I will be out of town on Sunday at an SCCA autocross at California Speedway, but will probably be in the shop on Saturday corner-balancing the new racecar.....if you'd like to come down, let me know what time range.

Again, not butting in on anyone's sale, don't want to violate any advertising rules for posting here (we are advertising shortly in the Windblown Witness).
This Space For Sale
JamesWilson
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions