AutoX date conflict?

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

AutoX date conflict?

Postby B Wulff on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:25 pm

The May 13 AutoX date at the Q conflicts with the
SBR Zone8 AutoX....
There is a DE on the at the Q on May 14

If the dates for the SDR AX and DE were swaped I could do both the
SBR Zone event and the SDR AutoX..

Does anyone care?
B Wulff
Autocrosser

Postby ttweed on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:07 pm

If they're running the SBR region autox at the Camarillo airport, still, I don't care. Not much of a venue. :(

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Brad Roberts on Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:12 pm

Tell us more about the Camarillo airport venue.

Is it setup like 99% of the *other* PCA autox's in the USA? Instead of 1.8 mile 90mph autox's ?? Image

The only other LARGE autoX venue I can think of "Maverick" region in North Texas when they run Mineral Wells (old Army helicopter base)

B
Brad Roberts
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:00 am

Brad Roberts wrote:Tell us more about the Camarillo airport venue.

Is it setup like 99% of the *other* PCA autox's in the USA? Instead of 1.8 mile 90mph autox's ??

The last Zone 8 autox at Camarillo was run on a taxiway that was about 45' wide. Basically a "wiggle-up, 180 turn, wiggle-back" kind of course.

We are fairly lucky in Zone 8 to have the venues we do. Only 4 of the 10 Zone autocrosses last year were held on "typical autox", very tight, "postage stamp" courses. The Speed Festival event was pretty disappointing to me, as it was held in one of the small inner lots at CA Speedway, while the larger outer lots we usually use are much more satisfying. Riverside region held a night autox at the National Orange Show grounds in San Berdoo that was awfully small and tight, and I didn't attend the one in Camarillo or the last one of the year put on by Arizona region at McDowell Mountain Park, but I heard it was very disappointing to some entrants, with runs in the low 30-second range on a very dirty course.

Several of the other venues in Zone 8 rival Qualcomm for fun factor, however. The Grand Prix region autox at Streets of Willow, for one, and the Golden Empire region events at Minter Field are a blast-- longer and faster than most courses at the Q these days. See my report in the Windblown Witness this month (in the mail soon, according to Greg, but available online at http://www.pcasdr.org/img/2006/Newsletter/Jan06webA.pdf)

Another Zone 8 venue that is really a hoot is the Pinal Air Park outside of Tucson used by the Southern Arizona region. I wrote up a report on that one for the Witness this last year too, in the June issue (archived at http://www.pcasdr.org/img/2005/Newsletter/05JunwebA.pdf) It is a 1.2 mile roadcourse on a National Guard air base-- easily as fun as the west lot at Qualcomm.

I heard Cal Club used to hold SCCA autocrosses at Buttonwillow in the old days, with a few coned gates to cut down speeds on the straights!

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Return to General Discussions