997 impressions

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

997 impressions

Postby Chris Huck on Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:48 pm

“Clarity, Tension, Precision”
Porsches’ positioning statement gives you a clue. Nothing radically changed, but extreme effort put in to upgrade and improve every single component on what has already been the most popular Carrera ever. Starting with a 996, thinking “Evolution, not Revolution,” 698 people spent 1036 days perfecting the incarnation, optimizing the parts, the details – all of them! 1,500,000 kilometers of test driving has led to the ultimate 911s- the 2005 Carrera and Carrera S.

Seeing the car for the first time it appears remarkably similar to the 996. Looking closer you immediately notice everything is different. A new shape to the hood, the headlights, the rear spoiler, the wheels, the side mirrors, the door pulls and even new seals around the windows. “Hydrophobic windows” in fact, designed to shed water and minimize dirt build up on the glass! The nose is more aggressive, the tail more graceful and the interior the most luxurious of any Porsche yet! Larger and more supportive seats, with a higher headrest, more evocative of the 964 seats – but better! Better than an SL, better than an XLR, better than an XKR, better than a 645. This is truly a better 911!

Engine developers and chassis engineers shared the same goals of improvement as did the ergonomics engineers – Make it better! Scrutinize every part, make it more precise in every operating temperature, more comfortable, yet more sporty, more agile, and oh yes – faster!

No detail was overlooked. From the finished appearance of the front storage compartment to the dressed out engine compartment, 40% more rigid chassis to the improved aerodynamics, every component has been addressed. A smoother ride, yet better cornering, a quieter interior, yet more aggressive exhaust – by far! A car at the pinnacle of performance, but the best of comfort, right down to its 325 watt, 4 subwoofer, 5 channel surround sound system, a first for any sportscar in North America.

Driving it you feel cradled, connected to the road and totally in control of the car. No vibration or harshness, just the noises you want to hear. Whether you opt for the 3.6 liter, 325hp Carrera or the 3.8 liter, 355hp Carrera S, the car feels extremely aggressive in its’ capabilities. With either the standard Carrera 18” wheels or Carrera S 19” wheels your grip on the road surpasses that of any other 2+2 car available today.

The technology is astounding.
The standard Porsche Communication Management system provides integrated electronic controls over your Bose stereo, On Board Computer, user adjustable settings like door opening, daytime running lights, unlocking options to name just a few, and optional DVD Navigation system with all guidance information for the entire United States and Canada on a single disc.

Porsche Stability Management system blends the capabilities of ABS, ASR, EDTC, and ABD to allows 7-9 degrees of wheel slippage in aggressive driving while helping keep an out of control driver safe. With the optional Sport Chrono Package, PSM pushes that back, approaching 20 degrees, as well as raising the rev limiter and providing accelerated throttle response, resulting in dramatically increased performance characteristics!

Tire Pressure Monitoring system, optional on both Carrera and Carrera S, uses sensors on all 4 wheels to check the tire pressure 3 times each second and sends updated reports on air pressure to the driver once every second when large variation is noted.

The new LED third tail light is illuminated within .1 millisecond of depressing the brake pedal, while the earlier bulb system took 100ms. At 65mph this translates into 10 feet sooner notice to the car traveling behind you!

Optimized Cooling Airguide optimizes the cooling efficiency of the new and larger radiators and brakes. Exhaust flow from the radiators is directed into the wheel housing liners instead of downward in front of the wheels. This means less dust raised at idle, improved cooling and reduced lift at speed.

Adaptive Sport Seats provide larger and more supportive electronically adjustable base and side bolsters to cradle you in exquisite comfort.

Despite all this technology, Porsche has yet again managed to increase the service interval from every 15,000 miles, to just every 20,000 miles with the new 997. Individual ignition coils means the spark plugs are the only part of the ignition system requiring maintenance. Timing chains on the camshaft and intermediate shaft are totally maintenance free and the transmission fluid change on the optional Tiptronic has been increased from 96,000 to 120,000 mile intervals. Fewer visits to service equates to a reduced cost of ownership!

If you haven’t heard yet, the 2005 Carrera and Carrera S arrives at US showrooms August 28th. Call and schedule an appointment to test drive one at your local Porsche dealership now. You will be amazed!

The author, Chris Huck, is an 8 year Porsche Sales veteran at Pioneer Centres in San Diego. 858-695-3000
Chris Huck
Admin

Re: 997 impressions

Postby Mike on Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:09 pm

Chris Huck wrote:“Clarity, Tension, Precision”
698 people spent 1036 days perfecting the incarnation,
The author, Chris Huck, is an 8 year Porsche Sales veteran at Pioneer Centres in San Diego. 858-695-3000

Hi Chris sounds like an awesome machine.
That one spec... 1036 days divided by 698 people = 1.48.
If I do the math, it it true 698 people spent only a day and a half on the 997?
Could be my hair color or the AX but that appears to be an unusual spec to me.
I know they spent more time than that, took me that long to get ready for the AX. :D
Mike
Club Racer

Postby Chris Huck on Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:24 pm

I can see your confusion. I've never been good at math either. :wink:

I was understanding 698 people over 1036 days = 723,128 total manpower days of effort . :!:

One of us is bad at math LOL
Chris Huck
Admin

Postby Mike on Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:28 pm

LOL :D
I wonder if the 993 with a more similar oval 997 headlight configuration will now appear more current?
Just a thought. :D
Mike
Club Racer

Postby Chris Huck on Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:42 pm

Math For Dummies :D -

1036 days = 2.8 years

So Porsche managed to employ 698 people for under 3 years to work on this project.

Doesn't sound quite so impressive this way , does it?

Now  :bowdown: to the master mathmetician ROTFLMAO
Chris Huck
Admin

Postby Jad on Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:46 am

Hey Chris,

After reading that post, I think you should be in sales :D Oh wait, sorry..... :wink:

Hopefully, there will also be a Carrera S RS? or something without adaptive seats, PSM, 2500 watt 100# stereo, just the basic comfort items for the pure Porsche enthusiast that doesn't need the full GT3 racecar. That would make a nice complete 911 line up.

See you on the 28th! I would leave my checkbook at home, but that didn't help last time :roll:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Return to General Discussions