Promising Forecast for Willow Springs

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Promising Forecast for Willow Springs

Postby David Ray on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:05 pm

http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/Rosamond/KEDW.HTML

Looks like a another great start to the TT year. 8)
David Ray
Autocrosser

Postby MVZ944T on Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:07 am

If you like wearing long johns under your driving suits and scraping ice off your windshield.
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby Pete Millikin on Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:56 am

Yikes - Well below 30 in the AM. Makes me rethink the headers versus SSI decision from awhile ago.

Who is bringing the shop heater for the garage?
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby MVZ944T on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:28 pm

I don't know but I am definitely bringing a heat lamp for my water pumper! I guess I could always put hot water in my cool suit. May have to try that in the AM.
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:40 pm

MVZ944T wrote:I don't know but I am definitely bringing a heat lamp for my water pumper! I guess I could always put hot water in my cool suit. May have to try that in the AM.

A reminder for all you water pumping racers with 100% water in your cooling system... water freezes at 32 degrees and even a little (20%) will probably keep you from having bad things happen.

Here is a little graph to illustrate the percentage to temperature ratio.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/A ... es/680.jpg
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby David Ray on Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:24 pm

Finally, the driving suit and gloves comes in handy (as a heat blanket). We complain at the summer event (too hot) and we complain at the winter event (to cold), however, if you balance it out it’s a perfect San Diego 70 degree weekend(s).

Steve, good call on the water pumpers.
David Ray
Autocrosser

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:02 am

Steve Grosekemper wrote:
A reminder for all you water pumping racers with 100% water in your cooling system... water freezes at 32 degrees and even a little (20%) will probably keep you from having bad things happen.

Here is a little graph to illustrate the percentage to temperature ratio.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/A ... es/680.jpg

:roll: Might just be the reason why I run 35% coolant (antifreeze) and 65% water with a new radiator/water pump...... :roll: BTW: haven't seen the temp above half on the gauge since the new radiator and head re-build (I hope the gauge is still working right..... :shock: ).

I guess my question is: does it make that much difference to run 100% water? I know the turbo's run way hotter than my N/A bucket, but is the freeze risk worth the removal of all coolant/antifreeze? Just curious......

Wish I were joining you all for the deep freeze..... oh, I mean Big Willow event, but the 944 pilot pillow for the track is missing, and I can't sleep down the front straight without one. Also, I think I strained a ligament in my left hand pointing by all the 911's at the last DE. :x I'm in rehab now. :lol: :lol: . See you at "Streets" and Buttonwillow (I hope 8) ).
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Greg Phillips on Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:20 pm

[quote="Dan Chambers
:roll: Might just be the reason why I run 35% coolant (antifreeze) and 65% water with a new radiator/water pump...... :roll: BTW: haven't seen the temp above half on the gauge since the new radiator and head re-build (I hope the gauge is still working right..... :shock: ).

I guess my question is: does it make that much difference to run 100% water? I know the turbo's run way hotter than my N/A bucket, but is the freeze risk worth the removal of all coolant/antifreeze? Just curious......

Wish I were joining you all for the deep freeze..... oh, I mean Big Willow event, but the 944 pilot pillow for the track is missing, and I can't sleep down the front straight without one. Also, I think I strained a ligament in my left hand pointing by all the 911's at the last DE. :x I'm in rehab now. :lol: :lol: . See you at "Streets" and Buttonwillow (I hope 8) ).[/quote]

I think the issue is that water dries and leaves no slick residue like coolant and some race groups "require" water only for the race cars. Some use water and Red-line water wetter, without coolant, but freezing weather is an issue then. But they won't cause any spins if they have a coolant leak :oops:

Greg
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Have a hot coco at the track.

Postby Mike on Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:13 am

Sat and Sun morning after you scrape the frost off your track car windshields swing by the Mirage pit for a Hot Chocolate.
It might not make you faster but it should help you stay on during your first run session on the frozen tundra.
We stocked up on Hot Chocolate and cups, hot plate and a tea kettle at the ready.
The Hot Chocolate untill it's gone will be served out of my (Mike Gagen) white 20 foot enclosed trailer. :D
Or you could just stop over anytime and join us as we huddle around the hot plate. :wink:
Mike
Club Racer

Postby Ted Myrus on Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:56 am

You guys should try ice racing, now that is cold! When I lived in N.Y. they would plow a lake to form the track. The plowed snow banks defined the course. One year I ran an air cooled VW with studded snow tires on all four wheels. The next year I ran an NSU 1000 TT with a real heater, much more civilized.

Good luck and have fun at Willow. :lol:
Ted Myrus
Time Trialer

Postby Mike on Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:27 am

Ted saw your fresh 356 on Pelican!
Looks awesome, way to get back in the saddle asap.
Car looks better than ever, way to go. :D
Click the link for photos of Ted's new car.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthre ... did=261141\

So ted what did you guys drink to stay warm? :lol:
Mike
Club Racer

Return to General Discussions