AAA Truck & Trailer Towing Snafu....

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

AAA Truck & Trailer Towing Snafu....

Postby jrgordonsenior on Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:34 pm

I was denied towing for my trailer last night by AAA (Auto Club of So Cal), when my dually blew it’s transmission on the way up Hwy. 14 to Willow Springs. I subscribe to their "Premier Service" and "RV/Trailer Towing package" described as:

“Recreational vehicles are vehicles used for recreational purposes such as motor homes, camper vans, cab-over campers and trailers including camping and fifth-wheel trailers. Even boat trailers, utility trailers and horse trailers**** that are used for recreational purposes are considered RVs and are eligible for service under RV and Motorcycle Roadside Assistance.”

They claimed that since I had a race car in the trailer, it was therefore a commercial trailer and not a recreational trailer and thereby not covered. I explained that it was my race car, my trailer, and my truck and that I was an amateur racer. When I asked what the difference was between hauling a dune buggy or ATV’s in the back, she explained that since I was hauling a race car that could win money it was commercial not recreational. Of course I started laughing at that assertion and tried to explain that this was amateur racing not professional with an occasional trophy, but NEVER any financial prizes awarded. She said well how are we to determine if you’re a pro or amateur (watch me drive?). I explained that there were only a handful of pro drivers like NASCAR or INDY drivers compared to the thousands of amateur drivers around the country. I told her I have a career that has nothing to do with racing, that it’s simply an amateur passion. They wouldn’t budge and I ended up paying the AAA hauler who showed up to haul the truck an extra $120. to haul the trailer too.

My point of this rant is that if you’re carrying RV/trailer towing coverage you may or may not actually be covered. I think next time I’ll just lie and tell them I have a dune buggy inside, or a car I’m restoring, or some BS like that. I am filing a formal protest and requesting compensation for the tow.….
Spec Boxster-sold
997 S-garage queen
jrgordonsenior
Autocrosser

Postby RickK on Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:53 pm

That sounds very frustrating and makes no sense. How do they know people hauling ATVs or dirt bikes are not professionals? Obviously, there are plenty of venues to race or compete professionally, SCORE, CORR, X Games, etc.
RickK
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Very bad-luck story, and quite a bummer. Since I'm a AAA Premier Member also, this is quite worth taking note of.

I might suggest next time you explain that you are: "Transporting a car from point A to point B that is not currently running." AKA relocating a vehicle. In essence; you are transporting a vehicle to and from a destination .... re-locating it. Since U-Haul rents towing apparatice that transports vehicles behind their moving rental vans - during the relocation process - this is a reasonable statement that should cover all vehicles when being towed.

Now; what do I mean by not currently running? Since you are driving the truck while transporting the car, technically, the car is not running :roll: .... the engine is off and the vehicle is stationary on the trailer ....., and the truck is running, and moving. :wink:

It is virtually impossible to be driving both vehicles symultaneously, the truck is "running" and the car is not. 8) Therefore, you're transporting a car that is not "running." And since you are re-locating the car for temporary use at another facility, you are "relocating" the car, just as you would your personal vehicle , behind a moving van to another .... even temporary .... residence. So: you are "relocating a car from point A to point B that is not currently running."

Just a thought........
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Kim Crosser on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:15 pm

Dan,

Not that I disagree with your advice, but just out of curiousity - did you take the same ethics and semantics classes as Bill Clinton? :lol: This just sounds so deja vu...

"No - I did not have moving relations with that vehicle."

"It depends on your definition of "running" in that context."
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby kurquhart on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:27 am

What was the final outcome with AAA - did they cover the trailer tow or not?

I just added the RV/Motorcycle coverage based on a phone conversation with AAA that assured me that "non-commercial race cars" are covered. One question the rep asked me was "does it look like a normal car?", which it mostly does. Perhaps sponsor logos would disqualify it...
Kris Urquhart
1990 C2
2005 CS
kurquhart
Time Trialer

Postby jrgordonsenior on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:38 am

I haven't taken the time to follow up with them yet, but I still plan to. They have never called me back to take my complaint, they always say they;ll have someone call you back. The tow for the trailer only cost $120., and I appreciate the reminder. AS a matter of fact I'll call them right now....

kurquhart wrote:What was the final outcome with AAA - did they cover the trailer tow or not?

I just added the RV/Motorcycle coverage based on a phone conversation with AAA that assured me that "non-commercial race cars" are covered. One question the rep asked me was "does it look like a normal car?", which it mostly does. Perhaps sponsor logos would disqualify it...
Spec Boxster-sold
997 S-garage queen
jrgordonsenior
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions