My WSIR "slow" excuse :)

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Re: My WSIR "slow" excuse :)

Postby Mike on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:43 am

JHPGT3 wrote: , until I learn to be at max throttle in #8 (which could be never).

Your not now! Sheez are we in trouble when that happens...
or is this just more sand bagging.
Were your lips moving when you typed that???
Mike
Club Racer

Postby JHPGT3 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:50 am

Incidently, let it be known that I found the way to beat Jim at Willow.
(1) I ask for a lot of advice
(2) I follow him around the track and learn his line
(3) I have him spend time with me showing me how to pass him at high speed in various sections of the track
(4) I have him set up the G2X in the car
(5) I have him on the telephone after 8 beers at night providing "consulting" on how to download the data and use the G2X software.
(6) I borrow his tools
(7) I smoke his cigars
Now the only thing left that I'm working on is getting him to help me change some tires!!!!! :lol: That could be worth another second! :wink:
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby JHPGT3 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:53 am

Mike wrote:
JHPGT3 wrote: , until I learn to be at max throttle in #8 (which could be never).

Your not now! Sheez are we in trouble when that happens...
or is this just more sand bagging.
Were your lips moving when you typed that???

My actual max speed in #8 is 10 mph less than in #1.
I would think that to drive the track properly, max speed in #8 should be higher than #1, yes?
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:58 am

I am full throttle from #5 to the entrance of #9.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby pdy on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:08 am

kary wrote:I am full throttle from #5 to the entrance of #9.

Begging to differ, your own graph shows that your speed flattens out through turn 8, whereas it keeps rising on the front straight.
A severe headwind would still produce a curve, not a 'Mesa'.
pdy
Time Trialer

Postby MikeD on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:11 am

JHPGT3 wrote:#9 leads to a straight where you are pedal to the metal, full throttle. The exit speed in #9 is critical because it will detrermine your maximum speed in the section of track that follows (the front straight).

Believe it or not John, I do know what a Type 1 turn is ;).

JHPGT3 wrote:The speed thru 7-9 is not full throttle for most of us, so the exit speed from #5 does not determine the max speed in that section of track (only your cajones determine that)
I realize in writing this that, with the Boxter, maybe you are full throttle from #5 to the entrance to #9. If you are, I would agree that #5 is more important. But, in my case, until I learn to be at max throttle in #8 (which could be never), #9 will be more important.

I'd be willing to bet that it's not just Boxsters that are flat from turn-in on 5 to the braking zone for 9. Jack M., Mike G., Kevin R., and Bill B. specifically some to mind. Sounds like a new goal to set for yourself John ;).

I will give you that it is very common to confuse T9 and T5 as to the most important corner on that track. T9 just makes logical sense as it leads onto the front straight after all...
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby MikeD on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:12 am

... and Kary...

Hey Kary, I thought you didn't like to go balls out on that track??? Maybe I am thinking of a different track :?
Mike Dougherty
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby JHPGT3 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:20 am

MikeD wrote:
JHPGT3 wrote:#9 leads to a straight where you are pedal to the metal, full throttle. The exit speed in #9 is critical because it will detrermine your maximum speed in the section of track that follows (the front straight).

Believe it or not John, I do know what a Type 1 turn is ;).

JHPGT3 wrote:The speed thru 7-9 is not full throttle for most of us, so the exit speed from #5 does not determine the max speed in that section of track (only your cajones determine that)
I realize in writing this that, with the Boxter, maybe you are full throttle from #5 to the entrance to #9. If you are, I would agree that #5 is more important. But, in my case, until I learn to be at max throttle in #8 (which could be never), #9 will be more important.

I'd be willing to bet that it's not just Boxsters that are flat from turn-in on 5 to the braking zone for 9. Jack M., Mike G., Kevin R., and Bill B. specifically some to mind. Sounds like a new goal to set for yourself John ;).

I will give you that it is very common to confuse T9 and T5 as to the most important corner on that track. T9 just makes logical sense as it leads onto the front straight after all...

So, Mike, I'm curious, is your fastest max speed on the track in turn #8 or the front straight?
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby MikeD on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:28 am

JHPGT3 wrote:So, Mike, I'm curious, is your fastest max speed on the track in turn #8 or the front straight?

Dunno. I don't have DAS like all you Money Bags racers do :D.

But I don't think "max" speed matters. What would make a faster lap time:

A) Spending my time increasing my speed from 120 to 125MPH over 1/2 mile.
B) Spending my time increasing my speed from 120 to 123MPH over 1 mile.

??
Mike Dougherty
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby lowyder993s on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:28 am

pdy wrote:

Begging to differ, your own graph shows that your speed flattens out through turn 8, whereas it keeps rising on the front straight.

T8 the car is scrubbing off speed as it is rotated, once the car is unwound and settled the speed increases to T9 braking zone. Exit T9 is significantly lower than entrance T8, AND the car is settled the whole way up the straight. I have short 3,4, and 5 gearing and I am usually w/in 2-3 mph of top speed T8 and front straight.
Jim
97 c2s street
76 RSR wing-thing #352 track -for sale
71 3.8 RS+ Track
lowyder993s
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:32 am

pdy wrote:

That is incorrect as I know where my foot is and I know that I am not acceerating in that turn due to wing drag, wind, bumps and being in a overdrive 5th gear with a low horsepower car. So you can beg to differ all you want but there is nothing left for accerlation through 8 in my car in that gear. The front straight accerates because it is going down hill at the end before the brake zone.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby kary on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:34 am

MikeD wrote:... and Kary...

Hey Kary, I thought you didn't like to go balls out on that track??? Maybe I am thinking of a different track :?

No I do not mind doing it in 8 but I think you are confusing my dislike for WSIR as a track that requires skill versus balls. I find balls tracks to be less interesting than skill tracks that require driving. This iof course is a long debate ........
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby lowyder993s on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:34 am

MikeD wrote:
JHPGT3 wrote:So, Mike, I'm curious, is your fastest max speed on the track in turn #8 or the front straight?

Dump those JRZ's and you'll have enough to put a G2 in the boxster AND the tow rig :D
I think you'll have fun w/ Ethan's @ Trib.
Jim
97 c2s street
76 RSR wing-thing #352 track -for sale
71 3.8 RS+ Track
lowyder993s
Time Trialer

Postby MikeD on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:50 am

lowyder993s wrote:
Dump those JRZ's and you'll have enough to put a G2 in the boxster AND the tow rig :D

Heck NO!! Those things are a God send! And probably the only thing the kept me in front of you last year... when I was in front of you anyway :|

lowyder993s wrote:I think you'll have fun w/ Ethan's @ Trib.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. If I kiss his &^* enough he might even let me put it in my car for a little while during FoS :D.
Mike Dougherty
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby kary on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:21 pm

lowyder993s wrote:
MikeD wrote:

I think you'll have fun w/ Ethan's @ Trib.

Mike, you might have trouble with Ethan now that he has a G2X. He found out that he had some engine issues that he could not pin point but now he can see it with the data. Watch out!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions