TT Question - Lap Times

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

TT Question - Lap Times

Postby ajackson on Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:04 pm

I just signed up (on Fri) for my first TT at the Speed Festival. I am going to rent a transponder since I don't have one, which I assume is for timed runs. Is there anything I should do to make sure I can mount it on the car? Will I be able to get my times throughout the weekend with it or do I need a hotlap type device? I am going to take my car in for a complete going over (I'll also probably change oil, flush brake fluid, etc) -- anything else I should worry about before the event?

Thanks,
Alan
Alan Jackson
77 911S 3.2L
ajackson
Time Trialer

Postby Robert on Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:58 pm

With respect to your question about the transponder...if you mount it properly, every lap you drive during the event will be timed and a printout of each lap will be posted in Garage 2.

Generally, for temporary transponder installations, we recommend using one of the license plate mounting holes. A bracket that will hold the transponder and allow you to mount it in one of these holes will optionally be provided with your rental. Just unscrew one of your existing license plate screws, screw in the bracket on top of your plate, place the transponder in and secure with the supplied hitch pin. Note that it's wise to also throw a piece of sturdy tape over the entire assembly as the threads that take the license plate screw are just plastic on some cars.

P.S. As of this evening there is a wait list for transponders. Don't fret quite yet...some drivers may cancel and worst case POC will probably rent you one.
Robert
Time Trialer

Postby Tawfik on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:01 am

Robert: Sorry to hijack this thread but do you need any help with timing at Fontana?
1997 993 Targa Speed Yellow
1991 Mazda Miata (My go Kart toy)
Engine swap to 1.8 & Aftermarket Turbo
2005 CRG w leopard 125CC
2003 MW8 chassis w Rotax 125CC engine (my other GoKart)
Tawfik
Time Trialer

Postby GregJAdelman on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:35 pm

I am in the same boat and what is strange is that last year I did not have to have a transponder. I personally do not even run in the actual TT on Sunday. I go for the experience and simply to learn the track. It would be ashame if we can not run because there is a shortage of transponders. Hopefully POC will have some for us. Does anyone know where we can buy them besides PCA?
Greg Adelman
Stellar Financial Mortgage
GregJAdelman

Postby ajackson on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:54 pm

I did an internet search and found a bunch to buy (including ebay) from various sources. My problem is that this is my first event and I don't want to spend the extra $350 just to try one TT event.

I would guess that they would let us run without one and not have any timed laps.
Last edited by ajackson on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Jackson
77 911S 3.2L
ajackson
Time Trialer

Postby Robert on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:59 pm

Correct, you will be allowed to run without a transponder, however, you will be gridded at the rear of your run group every session. We grid based upon lap times and we can't get your times if you don't have a transponder.
Robert
Time Trialer

Postby ajackson on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:31 pm

I'd probably be at the rear anyway -- just gives me that much longer before I start having to point people by.
Alan Jackson
77 911S 3.2L
ajackson
Time Trialer

Postby GregJAdelman on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:58 pm

Exactly! Good to know. I'm just there to have fun at this point and enjoy the track. I can time myself from my in car video to get an idea as to how fast I am. Thank you for the info and I'll see you at the event. Car 1771.
Greg Adelman
GregJAdelman

Postby sushinav on Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:48 pm

Hey Alan,
I have a Powerbleeder you can borrow to do your brake fluid. Works great. And I work for beer. :)
87 911. 74 look, Bali Blue.
71 Superbeetle.
Sick with Gearheadia
sushinav

Postby GregJAdelman on Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:56 pm

This is where you can get your significant other involved and have her push the brake pedal for you while you release that highly toxic fluid from the bleeder nipples. WOW, that sounded kind of strange and almost inappropriate....but I am going to stick with it. Super Blue brake fluid all the way. :D
Greg Adelman
GregJAdelman

Postby Robert on Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:38 pm

The transponder rental problem has been solved. Anyone who is unable to rent one because they are either currently on the waiting list or they sign up going forward will be able to rent one from POC. No prior reservation is necessary. Simply register with PCA at the Speedway Credentials building, then proceed to the POC window to rent from POC. Plan to leave a physical credit card with POC (I suggest you bring an extra card as you will not have use of it for the entire weekend). The card will be returned to you when the transponder is returned to POC. You will then need to notify me of the transponder number by writing it down on a piece of paper which you will then drop off at my pit (RV space 1-029).
Robert
Time Trialer

Postby GregJAdelman on Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:52 pm

Excellent! Thank you.
Greg Adelman
GregJAdelman

Postby ajackson on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:13 am

Will we have to pay a separate rental fee to them or is it covered through the pca rental?
Alan Jackson
77 911S 3.2L
ajackson
Time Trialer

Postby Robert on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:04 am

We're still working that out but it will not cost you more regardless of whether you end up paying PCA through your existing registration form or whether you get a credit back for that fee and pay POC directly. I will post an update on that once it's been worked out. Either way though, everyone who wants a transponder will have one.
Robert
Time Trialer

Postby Robert on Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:48 pm

Update: the cost of transponder rental, whether it be from PCA or POC will be covered through the rental request and charge made on your PCA TT registration form. The only difference is that those whose status on the TT Participants list (http://www.pca.org/zone8/Speedfest/2006/Z8SFestTTList.php) is shown as "Transponder with POC" will need to leave a physical credit card with POC for the weekend which will be returned when the transponder is returned to POC.

Note that the list is moving up as people purchase transponders, so please check regularly to see if you are still listed as "Transponder with POC". If you are not, you will not need to leave a physical credit card.
Robert
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions