This is why is it so hard to find good cars

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

This is why is it so hard to find good cars

Postby RickK on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:05 pm

Ffirst off, I will preface this by saying that this definitely not about any San Diego area Porsche dealers.

I am looking for a C2 and found an interesting one on Autotrader, car is up in LA. I email the seller and ask a few questions and he responds that he is a "service manager at a Porsche dealership". Wow, I think this is going to be a great car. He tells me more about the car, how well it has been maintained, etc. and then I run a Carfax and find out that there is a factory steering u-joint recall outstanding on this car. When I emailed the seller about this he responded, "I never even checked for an open recall".

How can you expect to find any Porsche well maintained if a dealers service manager can't even take care of their own cars?

Thanks for letting me vent. :x
1980 911SC
Former 1990 C4 Cab
RickK
Time Trialer

Postby Kim Crosser on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:10 pm

Ever heard the saying about the cobbler's children who went barefoot? :lol:
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby RickK on Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:35 pm

Kim Crosser wrote:Ever heard the saying about the cobbler's children who went barefoot? :lol:

Sure, but the cobbler knew his kids needed shoes, probably even knew what size to make them - he just never had the time to make them.
1980 911SC
Former 1990 C4 Cab
RickK
Time Trialer

Postby gulf911 on Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:47 pm

Actually, if he was advertising a C2 Porsche in the auto trader I would already be suspicious...

It is only my opinion, but I don' think you should be looking in the auto trader for a 'good' porsche. PML, Panorama etc. would be a better bet. Good Luck!

Dan
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby kary on Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:01 pm

I have a friend that has come to our TT and particpates in POC that is selling his 993. Great car and set up for TT with Rollbar etc. Call me if interested.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby RickK on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:54 pm

gulf911 wrote:It is only my opinion, but I don' think you should be looking in the auto trader for a 'good' porsche. PML, Panorama etc. would be a better bet. Good Luck!

Dan

I don't totally disagree, but there are people out there who take good care of their high-end cars and just don't ever join enthusiast groups. But I do look at cars from certain sources a bit more carefully.

The problem with Panorama, etc. is that the prices are mostly way above market and seller's don't understand that. I was the same way when I listed my C4 cab in there.
1980 911SC
Former 1990 C4 Cab
RickK
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:52 pm

The other problem with Pano etc is the lead time. It is 3 months or so from when you decide to sell until the ad arrives at someones home, then often longer before they read the classified ads. In addition besides high prices, when you are trying to buy, the cars are long gone if they are decent at a decent price. I have always done better with the Autotrader or word of mouth for both buying and selling.

Then again, it is not that unusual for Dan and I to disagree :wink:

Also, there may be a difference between looking for a very rare early 70's 911 and a popular modern street car that normal people drive. :P
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:47 pm

Jad wrote:........there may be a difference between looking for a very rare early 70's 911 and a popular modern street car that normal people drive. :P

Meaning...... abnormal people drive "very rare early 70's 911's"? :roll:

Let me think about that one.......

(Sorry: didn't mean to hi-jack!)

D- :mrgreen:
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby gulf911 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:45 pm

Jad wrote:The other problem with Pano etc is the lead time. It is 3 months or so from when you decide to sell until the ad arrives at someones home, then often longer before they read the classified ads. In addition besides high prices, when you are trying to buy, the cars are long gone if they are decent at a decent price. I have always done better with the Autotrader or word of mouth for both buying and selling.

Also, there may be a difference between looking for a very rare early 70's 911 and a popular modern street car that normal people drive. :P

Maybe pano was not a good example , but I stand by my opinion that Autotrader would be the last avenue. I should have added Rennlist, Pelican, and other web based porsche classified's, as good sources. IMHO.. :wink: Unless of course Jad has an objection... :wink:
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby mnettles on Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:47 pm

Hmmmmm...... I bought my RSA through autotrader.....
mnettles
Autocrosser

Auto Trader

Postby Greg Phillips on Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:53 pm

I think the other thing to remember is the Rick is looking for a track car and does not want to pay for a pristine cream-puff Porsche. 8) The ideal car would be mechanically sound but a poor interior that would keep the price down as it is going to be tossed anyway. :lol:

Greg
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Postby Pete Millikin on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:31 pm

My $.02 is that if you are looking for an enthusiast type car, i.e. non stock, look at the enthusiast websites, publications, like Pelican, Rennlist, et.al. There may be some hits with auto trader but I think its a low percentage play. Mary Joe found a good RS America which is bit unique.

Naturally the web stuff is going to be more current.

How about the PML (Porsche Market Newsletter)? I have also seen some pretty good cars on various PCA websites. Try the Zone 8 wesite for links; also the SF region.

Bring your checkbook to the Festival of Speed - I'm sure there will be a number of cars for sale.

Rick, look forward to seeing you out on the track!!
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby RickK on Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:17 pm

Greg - Turns out cars that are not cosmetically well maintained are also not mechanically well maintained - who'd have thunk that :o

The enthusiasts sites are certainly where I look a lot but you've got to look everywhere to find what is out there. I know it is cheaper to buy a car already setup but those seem to be hard to find as 80/20 track/weekend car configs. Full out race cars are a dime a dozen.

Pete - I'm itchin' to get back out there it has been way too long already.
1980 911SC
Former 1990 C4 Cab
RickK
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:21 am

gulf911 wrote:
Jad wrote:The other problem with Pano etc is the lead time. It is 3 months or so from when you decide to sell until the ad arrives at someones home, then often longer before they read the classified ads. In addition besides high prices, when you are trying to buy, the cars are long gone if they are decent at a decent price. I have always done better with the Autotrader or word of mouth for both buying and selling.

Maybe pano was not a good example , but I stand by my opinion that Autotrader would be the last avenue. I should have added Rennlist, Pelican, and other web based porsche classified's, as good sources. IMHO.. :wink: Unless of course Jad has an objection... :wink:

Acceptable :beerchug: Though I still have found numerous nice cars in the autotrader(and sold several nice cars that way as well)
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:41 am

.... Purchased mine from a shop in Huntington Beach - Factory Werks, Gary Topel - who advertised my car in the Trader Orange County edition. :roll: :burnout:

No regrets........ 8)
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Next

Return to General Discussions