Hoehn's got a 997!

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Hoehn's got a 997!

Postby sean996 on Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:55 pm

Supposedly they were just peeling it out of the wrappers this morning . . . ready for viewing this evening!!! :D

Sean
sean996
Autocrosser

Photos of 2005 911 at Hoehn

Postby twitte on Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:50 pm

In case you can't make it to Hoehn, here are some photos of the car at Hoehn that Sean was mentioning....

http://www.n2.net/diving/Porsche/2005porsche/2005.htm
Ted Witte
twitte
Time Trialer

Postby Curt on Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:14 pm

(Curt looks around real quickly and sees none of his fellow early car enthusiasts are looking.......)

coughcough I LIKE IT cough cough I Like It ALot!!! cough cough

I don't know WTF that whole center console nonsense is..... but other than that it's very nice. Plus, look at the gas mileage, it's better than all of my cars!
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby gulf911 on Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:42 pm

After seeing the headlights, new front markers and flared rear ala 993, it appears Porsche was listening.... :shock:
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby rss996 on Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:13 pm

Looks awesome in person...I like the front end and wider rear alot more than my 996....I I have to go work harder now to afford one someday...
Or go find me a rich old gal that wants to feed my Porsche addiction....

Robert
rss996
Autocrosser

Postby Mike on Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:27 pm

rss996 wrote:Or go find me a rich old gal

Not satisfied with the medium income "old gals"? :wink:
Mike
Club Racer

Postby rss996 on Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:24 pm

If its an old gal, she better be rich!!! :lol:
rss996
Autocrosser

Postby Curt on Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:19 pm

rss996 wrote:If its an old gal, she better be rich!!! :lol:

Amen! I keep telling my wife when she turns 36, I'm trading her in for two 18 year olds. She LOVES that joke! :roll: :D
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:14 am

After seeing the 997 in person, I think the front looks a lot more modern and less 993 like which is a good thing to me. I liked the car, but it is definitely an evolution, not a revolution. Neither Amy nor my mom, who both know Porsches pretty well, could tell the 997 was the new car when they saw it. The differences are in the details.

Nice overall, but $99K for a nicely equiped S seems a bit steep :roll:

The new GT3 is in the current autoweek.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby rss996 on Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:38 am

I agree with Jad for the most part. I think the biggest difference is in the interior! Very nice inside and just looks a bit updated on the outside. I would love to see just how much better the drive is though than a 996.

I feel the price is crazy for what you get over an 04 996 in terms of performance. You can get a great deal on a 996 and trick out suspension etc., all while investing about 20k - 30k less???

These prices will soften once the hype is over. I'm going to get one in a couple years used from someone willing to take a bath on his 997s once his 997 GT3 or Turbo comes in!

See yall on the 11th!
rss996
Autocrosser

Postby ceokid on Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:30 am

WOW :D
ceokid

Postby kary on Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:50 am

gulf911 wrote:After seeing the headlights, new front markers and flared rear ala 993, it appears Porsche was listening.... :shock:

I think you are right. One of the first things the Hoehn sales person said to me as we were looking at the 997 lines was "I think Porsche was listening becasue the lines are much better than the 996". He went on to say that he could not believe Porsche was still producing the 996 along with the 997. Very funny really when there is a lot full of 996's going no where :P

I found the lines and the entire look of the car very pleasing to the eye. I sat my 993 next to it and there is a very close body line match to the 993 though more subtle, but they made some nice changes to differentiate the 911 from the 986 and the 996. Having a 996 next to a 997 there is an obvious difference. The track is wider on the 997 which is nice though "it is still a very nice street car", not my quote, quoted by the sales guy. The sales guys seemed to truely understand the difference between a street car and a tweener track car and a full track car. Kind of nice to see given some of the threads on this board.

The cost for one as sitting there (997 s) was $80K. I imagine, in the true Porsche philosophy, one could get this car price to $100K with all the bells and whistles, but then whats the point. The computer in the center console was laughable really, but then this car really was not meant for the track, now was it? The chrono package was interesting in that it could do split times etc...I guess they are thinking a little about the track :-) People were and are paying $100K for 996 cabs with some bells and whistles, wow!!! If I were them I think they might want to buy a MB sports car

:lol:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

997S Test Drive

Postby Steven Dente on Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:07 pm

Both Denise and I test drove the 997S this wekend. I have to say we both loved this car. As many of you know I have never been a big fan of the 996. The new styling of the 997 is a great improvment. I happen to like it alot. I have always thought the 993 S2 to be the best looking car Porsche has ever produced. The 997 is goes a long way to capturing the things I liked best in the 993 styling. The flairs are still a little too subtle for me, but the roof line in the 997 is better. The cockpit fits me much better as well. I really like the total package and believe this car's styling does capture the traditional Porsche feeling.

It may be that I am getting older, but the new interior and available option packages also apeal to me. I love the new dash, the sport seat option is great, the side bolsters really work. It can comfortably fit the large size difference between Denise and I. With the memory seat option it means Denise and I can easily share this car. Normaly it takes a lot of work when we change drivers.

Performance wise the car is super flexible. The sport settings are much more than marketing (finaly and active system that works). It affects not only suspension, but engine behavior. Despite Chris Hucks request for mercy, I drove the car hard during my test drive. Flat out in 3rd around 90 degree street corners, four wheeel drifting and the car was flat and stable. It was truly impressive is sport mode. Most of the way to the GT3 I currently drive on the street. In regular mode the car is still a performer but very comfortable. Great combination. The 255 H.P. (I feel this is conservative) is most of the way to the GT3. The way this 3.8 is programmed the H.P. is much more usable than the GT3. With the power and torque comming on at lower RPM and over a broader range it is more usable on all but the biggest tracks. The 997 is much more fun to drive on the street. With a few tweeks it may be able to match the GT3 in H.P..

I suggest you guys go test the 997s for your selves. The raw numbers only tell part of the story. It is a huge improvement over the 996. How much did Denise and I like it? I have a free GT3, yet we stepped up and ordered one for January delivery. That should say it all.
Steven Dente
Steven Dente

Postby MikeD on Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:58 pm

Ya know, having an older brother I became very accustomed to getting hand-me-downs. So if you are looking for someone to hand this obviously insufficient and inadequate free GT3 off to, I would be willing to take that burden on as my own. But only for the good of the cause you understand. I will even promise to excercise it regularly no matter how tough or painful it may be.

:bowdown: :bowdown:
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Thanks for the offer

Postby Steven Dente on Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:22 pm

I have always said that Mike isone of those people who you can count on to step up when you need help. Mike I just can't burden you with such a heavy task. In order to protect you I will make other arrangements. I have untill January.

Thanks for the kind offer...
Steven Dente
Steven Dente

Return to General Discussions