"think sunshine"

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

"think sunshine"

Postby JHPGT3 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:37 am

JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Re: "think sunshine"

Postby Dan Chambers on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:22 pm

Got Rain tires? :bigcry: :banghead:

You guys be careful out there!! :wink: I don't want to hear any sad stories about off-track soggy adventures. :nono:

See you at Streets of Willow.

Dan'o
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby JHPGT3 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:31 pm

Since I posted this, it's getting slightly better. Saturday went from 50% rain down to 30%.
Keep thinkin' positive about Sunday!!!!!
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Rsylvestri on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:46 pm

Dan Chambers wrote:

Dan'o

Speaking of Streets,
Do you guys go up on Friday eve. or early Saturday morn. Just trying to plan my first TT in April and make reservations at Inn of Lancaster.

Be safe at FOS
Thanks, Rick
'76 Carrera 3.0 #418 CC07
'95 993 C4, sold
'77 911S targa 3.2
'09/'10/'11/12' TT Tech chair
Rsylvestri
Time Trialer

Postby JHPGT3 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:41 pm

Rsylvestri wrote:
Dan Chambers wrote:

Dan'o

Speaking of Streets,
Do you guys go up on Friday eve. or early Saturday morn. Just trying to plan my first TT in April and make reservations at Inn of Lancaster.

Be safe at FOS
Thanks, Rick

It's a mixed bag, Rick. Some of us go up Thursday night and do a test/tune Friday before our PCA event. Most others come up Fri late afternoon or early evening and registration is open Fri evening. The remainder drive up early Sat. am, but that requires leaving at 4:00 am (from SD)(getting up and out at 3:30ish) so you can be there at 7:00 am for registration, tech and getting prepared. Drivers' meeting usually starts at 8:00 am.
Sounds like it's best to come up the night before, doesn't it? :)
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Streets

Postby Rsylvestri on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:59 am

JHP,

Can I do a test day on Friday with no instruction at Streets? I have 1 DE signed off and ready for TT's in '05 and 10 or so AX's, I don't have an '06 competion permit.
I'd love to come up early Friday morning and check the track out.
'95 993 C4, sold
'77 911S targa 3.2
Rsylvestri
Time Trialer

Re: Streets

Postby JHPGT3 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:33 am

Rsylvestri wrote:JHP,

Can I do a test day on Friday with no instruction at Streets? I have 1 DE signed off and ready for TT's in '05 and 10 or so AX's, I don't have an '06 competion permit.

Rick,
"Friday test/tune" is something that Willow Springs allows most Fridays, on the big track, for people who buy an annual membership, and for experienced drivers, in race prepared cars (that's a mouthful, huh? :wink: ) You need to call the Willow Springs admin office for more info.
Last year, another group had the SOW track rented for the Friday of our PCA event and let me run with them to heat cycle some tires. If they've rented the track again this year, I'm sure they'd be happy to have you join them --it was a pretty informal group that wouldn't require much track time. Call the Willow admin office and ask who has the track rented for that date and then follow up with them.
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby JHPGT3 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:35 am

Look what all this positive thinking has done for us!!!!
The forecast changed from 60% chance of rain to "0%".
:) :)
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Rsylvestri on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:17 am

Thanks John,

May the sun be with you ;)
'95 993 C4, sold
'77 911S targa 3.2
Rsylvestri
Time Trialer

Postby jrgordonsenior on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:47 pm

JHPGT3 wrote:Look what all this positive thinking has done for us!!!!

Ahh they're just guessing... But just in case John, keep on doing that rain dance out in front of your house. I'm sure your neighbors are amused....
Spec Boxster-sold
997 S-garage queen
jrgordonsenior
Autocrosser

Postby JHPGT3 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:24 pm

jrgordonsenior wrote:
JHPGT3 wrote:Look what all this positive thinking has done for us!!!!

Ahh they're just guessing... But just in case John, keep on doing that rain dance out in front of your house. I'm sure your neighbors are amused....

I think it's the loin cloth they like best. :lol:
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:30 am

Rsylvestri wrote:
JHP,

Rick,
"Friday test/tune" is something that Willow Springs allows most Fridays, on the big track, for people who buy an annual membership, and for experienced drivers, in race prepared cars (that's a mouthful, huh? ) You need to call the Willow Springs admin office for more info.
Last year, another group had the SOW track rented for the Friday of our PCA event and let me run with them to heat cycle some tires. If they've rented the track again this year, I'm sure they'd be happy to have you join them --it was a pretty informal group that wouldn't require much track time. Call the Willow admin office and ask who has the track rented for that date and then follow up with them.

Rick:

I am neither the TT safety Chair, or the Willow Admin. officer, but I would strongly advise finding a qualified Instructor to ride with you on Friday for your first time out at Willow; especially the big track or "Big Willow" as it's sometimes called.

That track has some really fast sections; some with surprise "gotcha's" at the end - like turn 8/9 - that could put you in some real hazardous situations based on your limited axperience at big tracks. As the "Fasted Track in the West" it will let you find the limits of your car, but you better be ready to handle it.....

Also, remember: you're not driving "Streets" on Friday, you'll be on "Big Willow." these are two very different tracks.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying, get someone to help you through that track. Someone with a strong knowledge of both the track, and how your Porsche will behave on that track will make it a fun day, vs. a scary day. Be safe. Be smart. Know your limitations. Seek advice.

My 2 cents.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby jrgordonsenior on Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:10 am

Race Prepared Cars Only= Roll cage, extingusher or suppression system, race seat and 5-6 point harness, etc. There are no corner workers hense the strict safety requirements.
Spec Boxster-sold
997 S-garage queen
jrgordonsenior
Autocrosser

Postby Richard Plotkin on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:14 am

It went from 60% chance of rain to NO rain. Damn, you guys are good......
Richard Plotkin

Postby MikeD on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:44 am

Jrgordonsenior is right. Car must be race prepared. Plus I believe all drivers at the test and tune have to be race licensed with a sanctioning body (i.e. PCA, POC, NASA, SCCA, Alfa Club, etc). Test and tune is open passing, no safety crews, no corner workers.

If you only have 1 DE day under your belt I would highly recommend NOT doing the test and tune, even if the track will let you.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Next

Return to General Discussions