Still waiting for my 2005 trophy...

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Still waiting for my 2005 trophy...

Postby Black Dog on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:06 pm

More through good luck (and Chuck Hasel missing a few AXs), I ended up number one in NS for 2005. I was not able to attend the gala event in January, and heard after the fact that not attending = no trophy.

At one of the Feb AXs, someone took down the names of those of us who had trophies coming, but I've heard nothing more.

I can't imagine why trophies were not made for all who had won them, regardless of whether they attended the dinner, but I would still like have mine.

Any word of where this stands?

Thanks,
John Ross
John Ross
Black Dog

Postby martinreinhardt on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:34 pm

Don't get me started on the 2005 trophies story !!!! :roll:

"Our club needs serious help in the year end awards area" :evil:

There should be enough money for awards. If not club members should come first and then if something is left give it to the charities. :roll:

The Autox Ribbons are good, but as for the season awards I do expect something bigger. :D Just to compare: The SCCA Solo II event awards are better and bigger then our year end awards.

Sauerkraut, I know ...
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby Don Middleton on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:03 pm

John, I was asking the same question of the trailer at the March 12 AX. Martha suggested that Kathy Alnwick was still working on those additional class trophies from 2005. Kathy was the individual that collected our names. Try sending her an email and see if she is still making progress. Let us all know what you hear. :?

And, to Martin's motion, here's a "second"...
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Re: Still waiting for my 2005 trophy...

Postby ttweed on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:48 pm

Black Dog wrote: I was not able to attend the gala event in January, and heard after the fact that not attending = no trophy.
I must have missed this announcement. Is that true? It has never been that way since I started autocrossing in '97 or so. The trophies for people who didn't attend the banquet have always been distributed at the first autox events of the next season in the past. Why would the club cheap out on this, now? It's not like the autox program doesn't make any money. To have to pay to go to the banquet to get your trophy seems like an insult to me, after putting out the effort to attend events all year.

I didn't go myself and have never seen a trophy for my GS win last year, so put me down as one of the dissatisfied.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Don Middleton on Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:44 pm

Tom, what makes it worse is that we had such limited seating at the event, you probably wouldn't have been able to get in to get your trophy.

Anyway, Kathy Alnwick explained at the January AX that the feeling was that if you didn't attend the banquet, you weren't likely to be interested in the trophy. So, they only made trophies for those attending. They should have included those shut out of attendance due to the limited seating issue. :shock:

Kathy was going to have more trophies made, if requested. You may have to send her an email - imthekaps@yahoo.com - to register your request and get on the list. I recently sent her an email asking about the progress on those additional 2005 trophies, but haven't heard back yet.
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:15 pm

Don Middleton wrote: Anyway, Kathy Alnwick explained at the January AX that the feeling was that if you didn't attend the banquet, you weren't likely to be interested in the trophy.
That doesn't make any sense to me. What about the anti-social types like myself who are interested in the trophy and not at all interested in going to banquets? Considering the limited availability of seating, as you mention, it makes even less sense.

Is there some financial pressure to cut the autox award budget? I don't get it.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
ttweed
Admin

Postby Dan Chambers on Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:22 am

Okay. Here's another angle. As past AX Chair, and as past Board Member and Vice President ("retired"), I'll offer another persepective.

Every year the AX program spent copious amounts of money on trophies for award-winners at AX events. On average roughly $3000.00 per year was spent (some years more some years less). typically, of all the trophies made, half were never recieved, never picked up, never claimed.

One year, Lewis held the unclaimed trophies (somewhere around 6 or seven boxes) in his garage for nearly a year - emailing arrant recipients, announcing those people who didn't get them at A-X's/DE's to pick them up, asking the A-X Chairs and Board for help in getting them to the rightfull owners ..... all to no avail. In the end, they would up in a dumpster.

Another year, roughly 5 boxes of unclaimed trophies ($1500.00 dollars worth) wound up in the garage of the AX Chair (me). After phone calls, emails, announcements, spams, more emails - to those people whose names were on the trophies to come and get them ........ and 7 months of them in the Trailer at Qualcomm events - after a total of 11 months: 4 months in my garage/7 in the Trailer ..... Dumpster-bound.

Another year, after the season was over and the inital half-number of trophies were claimed, there were 6 boxes of trophies that wound up ...... well, I think you ge the message.

So, in 2005, faced with uncertain fiscal situations, and trying to resolve the history of throwing away over $1500.00 annually in trophies that were never claimed, the AX Chairs, with the blessing of the Board of Directors, agreed to award winners of class with photos of themselves (with sustantial savings) instead of spending roughly $3000.00 in trophies .... half of which would most likely ended up being thrown in the dumpster.

As a caveat and incentive to those attending the Gala, the winners who signed up for the Gala would have their photos prominently displayed at the gala to recognize their great driving acheivement, in a nicely framed way. This was, in fact, done. As a metter of fact, for the first times in years, the names of the drivers wards were announced so the drivers were recognized individually at the Gala. For those who may choose to skip the Gala, their photos were placed in an envelope, to be received at the next Autocross. the photos were placed in brown menilla envelopes, with the names clearly written on the top.

At the first AX in 2006, an announcement was made during the Manditory Driver's Meeting That those people who were not in attendance at the Gala could pick up their photo-award at the trailer after the meeting (and had you been listening at the meeting you would have heard this).

So, those in attendance at the Gala received their Photo ("trophy" - if you will), and those who were at the A-X and listened during the Driver's Meeting got their photos in the envelopes.

As an aside to the comments of the A-X's making "so much money:" the AX DE TT programs spend more money than any other program in the region. Track fees, insurance, equipment repair - replacement - upgrades, ancilary expenses like drinks & sodas, por-o-pots, beer, "Q" rentals, pre-payment to Willow / Pahrump / Buttonwillow ..... all these expenses consume the moneys made each year at driving events. If you cost-out the income / spending ratios, you'll find the moneys made at our driving events goes right back in to our driving events.

Also: money to charity oraganizations comes from the Charity program, not from the PCASDR's general budget. Moneys earned by the PCASDR is spent wholey on members, not Charity. Moneys earned by the Charity Chairs goes wholey to Charity, not members. These two fiscal "entities" operate wholey separate from each other.

Final word: if you placed in the top 3 of your class in AX: drove in >50% of the AX's, and didn't attend the Gala, your picture is waiting for you in an envelope. Ask someone for it at the next event.

Hope this helps.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:20 pm

Dan,

Thank you for the clarification. But I would prefer a trophy over a picture of myself. As a motivator for participation and competition in the club, I believe it is important to receive a quality award or souvenir. We all have many nice pictures from Greg and Paul.

I understand the issue about trophies not being picked up. Maybe next time the winners can register to confirm they want a trophy.
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:31 pm

martinreinhardt wrote:Dan,

Thank you for the clarification. But I would prefer a trophy over a picture of myself. As a motivator for participation and competition in the club, I believe it is important to receive a quality award or souvenir. We all have many nice pictures from Greg and Paul.

I understand the issue about trophies not being picked up. Maybe next time the winners can register to confirm they want a trophy.

Martin:

Thanks for your understanding, and input. I think your suggestion of "Trophy [ ] Yes [ ] No (click appropriate box)" is a great one. 8) Bring it up to the AX Chairs and the Registration people. Let them know. They might just do it!

All: since there are at least 5 drivers on the Board of Directors this year (including the Vice President, Treasurer, and 3 Directors at Large) I suggest you let it be known to your governing body of your interests. I also encourage you to rally your specific Chairs (AX, DE, TT) regarding your interests and concerns about what you want at the end of the year. Want a nice trophy? Let 'em know.
Want a cool dinner and awards banquet without the going to the Gala? Let them know. Want a brand new 997 Twin Turbo with VTG Technology? :shock: Let 'em know. :wink: (I'm not saying you'll get it, :cry: but you'll have voiced your interests.)

To make it easier, here's a little guidance. Simply click on the contact below, and write them a note. The time it takes you to read this, is the time it will take to get the word to your governing body of what you want. You can't get what you want if they don't know what you want. Communicate to them, or be satisfied with their assumptions. :shock:

(Oh darn.... now I've taken away any excuse you might have........)

Board@PCASDR.org
Vicepres@pcasdr.org
Treasurer@pcasdr.org
AX@pcasdr.org
TT@pcasdr.org

This is how a democracy works. Will of the members, and all that. :wink:
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Don Middleton on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:07 pm

Dan, I think we have some confusion on the trophies for non-attending banquet folks. Kathy Alnwick explained at the January AX that more trophies would have to made for those not attending the banquet. She took down names of several individuals like me and John Ross.

Anyway, I just received a reply from Kathy to an email query regarding this issue. She said she was having them made up and would make them available at the April 8-9 driving school. I don't know who is on her "list", however.
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:20 pm

Dan Chambers wrote: For those who may choose to skip the Gala, their photos were placed in an envelope, to be received at the next Autocross. the photos were placed in brown menilla envelopes, with the names clearly written on the top.

At the first AX in 2006, an announcement was made during the Manditory Driver's Meeting That those people who were not in attendance at the Gala could pick up their photo-award at the trailer after the meeting (and had you been listening at the meeting you would have heard this).

Dan-
Thanks for the explanation about the past awards and the procedure change for this last year. There are definitely good points to be made about changing things if we are wasting $1500 a year on unclaimed/unwanted awards. However, I think there is an argument to be made that the necessity for this change could have been communicated to the membership better.

I was at the first autox of the year, and I usually pay attention at the driver's meeting, if I am not off doing some late tech on a car or something. I also read the WW cover-to-cover (OK, sometimes I don't read ALL the minutes of the board meetings) and I frequent this forum for news about the club and events, etc. I would consider myself pretty well informed for an average member and I managed to be totally in the dark about the change to awards, the pictures for people who weren't at the Gala, and most everything you mentioned about the waste of past awards.

I know hindsight is always 20/20, but perhaps a more concerted effort to "get the news out" about this stuff to those who were effected (the autox "customers") might have been helpful. Perhaps publicizing the problem during the year and soliciting broad input from the membership for solutions might have resulted in a more widely understood and accepted policy. Quite a few of us, apparently, were totally unaware of this change.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
ttweed
Admin

trophies

Postby Jackie C on Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:54 pm

Since the subject came up....I understand where the money goes now, thanks Dan. I also understand how much money was spent on the drivers' part to attend almost every autocross to win each class. I didn't want to volunteer for Kathy's job and realize she is not a driver at these events, however, perhaps she didn't know what the driver's might be expecting historically. Why weren't the boxes and boxes of trophies recycled from previous years instead of thrown out? Personally, I could have photo shopped a better picture of myself with a slightly larger blue ribbon to show my sponsors for year end. I will be happy to voice my opinion to the club as you say. I think that for every driver who doesn't pick up an award, there is another driver who worked hard to compete and is quite appreciative of a small plaque to note their accomplishment as was represented by how many drivers DID show up for the gala. Just MY opinion.
Jackie Corwin
Jackie C
Time Trialer

trophies

Postby chris914 on Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:53 pm

In 2004, we went to the year-end autocross banquet where we were very impressed and had a wonderful time. I have owned my car for several years but that was the first time that I have had it running because I had bought it as a project car. Last year (in 2005) was the first year that I was able to run my car at a number of the autocross events. I have to say we were a bit disappointed that there was not going to be a separate event for the autocross banquet and were more disappointed because we would miss the end of the year banquet because that is when we have our annual family vacation.

I did win my autocross class, I was the only one in it, lol. In comparison to the year before I was disappointed that I wouldn’t be getting one of the nifty trophies that they presented from the year before. javascript:emoticon(':D') I understand the cost and waste of the trophies is not a good thing so my vote would be to only make trophies for those people that requested them.

Thanks, Chris
chris914

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:43 am

ttweed wrote:
........ However, I think there is an argument to be made that the necessity for this change could have been communicated to the membership better.

I was at the first autox of the year, and I usually pay attention at the driver's meeting, if I am not off doing some late tech on a car or something. I also read the WW cover-to-cover (OK, sometimes I don't read ALL the minutes of the board meetings) and I frequent this forum for news about the club and events, etc. I would consider myself pretty well informed for an average member and I managed to be totally in the dark about the change to awards, the pictures for people who weren't at the Gala, and most everything you mentioned about the waste of past awards.

I know hindsight is always 20/20, but perhaps a more concerted effort to "get the news out" about this stuff to those who were effected (the autox "customers") might have been helpful. Perhaps publicizing the problem during the year and soliciting broad input from the membership for solutions might have resulted in a more widely understood and accepted policy. Quite a few of us, apparently, were totally unaware of this change.

TT

Tom:

Everything you say is both valid and true. As someone who has ben intimately involved in the processes of this club I can verify that things could be done more effectively, more efficiently .... better. The system isn't perfect.

One of the event Chair's obligations is to attend the monthly Board meetings, be aware of (if not involved in ...) policy change that may affect their activities, and return to their events with information to give to the participants/club members.

In 2005 we had 36 Chair positions and 74 Chairs listed (many Chair positions require more than 1 Chairperson). Of the 12 Monthly meetings that we had in 2005, we averaged around 25 to 35 meeting attendees. These attendee were not all Chairs.

Of the Chairs that attend the meetings consistantly, about 15 to 18 regularly attended in 2005. Tom, you were a Chair yourself. How many Board Meetings in 2005 did you attend?

And........there are a multitude of perfectly good excuses for Chairs, and the general membership, for not attending Board meetings. I've heard many: everything from "I have two small children in diapers at home" to "I have better things to do with my Wednesday nights than dedicate them to PCASDR." Every one of these "reasons" is legitimate; after all this is a volunteer-based club.

The Club is based on volunteerism. In the end, it's up the the volunteers to make the system work. The less effort that is made by the volunteers, the less perfect the system will be. Yes, the system is flawed by the simple nature of the beast we call Human Nature.

The only way we as individuals might be satisfied in a system that has flaws, is if we take it upon ourselves to be responsible for the information that we care about. Personal Responsibility. It's our own individual choice.

If we choose to miss meetings, fail to read the minutes of the Board in the WW, or ask questions of the Chairs, we have to be satisfied with the results. If we choose to be more informed; take the steps necessary to find out what's important to us (Trophies, Driver's Dinners, Event Changes, Rules Changes, etc), we may be more satisfied with getting the answers we want.

Minimal effort will yield minimal rewards in a volunteer program such as PCASDR. Maximum effort will yield maximum results in a volunteer program.

I know you all hate me for saying it, but....You get what you give. Yes... I can go pound sand. And how will that improve the system?

Okay .... off my soap box and back to work.
Dan Chambers
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby ronaldtrotter on Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:49 am

Just a suggestion about awards. I am new at AX but have raced sailboats for over 30 years. During that time I have collected more dust collectors then I can display or my wife will let me display. With each trophy I appreciated the effort put forth by the organizers and the thought put into the trophies. But, I have found the awards I and the people I sailed with and against appreciated most were the practical awards (jackets, tools, bags, gift certificates, etc) Jackets and vests were the most appreciated because you used them all the time and people who saw them knew you won. A way to brag without opening your mouth.

In my AX class, me winning a award is not likely to happen anytime soon. That is unless no one else shows.(':lol:')
As to an award at the end of individual event, I just enjoy the people, cars and the ability to have a great time doing something I love. Being able to be there is award enough for me. I couldn't resist putting in my two cents. But useful and daily use is better then dusting, at least for me.
'82" 911 SC Targa
'86' Buick Grand National
'85' 944 Spec
2015 VW Sport Wagon TDI
ronaldtrotter
Time Trialer

Next

Return to General Discussions