Loose nut .... not behind the wheel

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Loose nut .... not behind the wheel

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue May 02, 2006 9:27 am

The Time Trial at Streets was a blast. My car never ran so well 8) ...... except: the power steering belt "squeeked" a couple of times while parking it. :roll:

So, after a busy week, I finally got around to cleaning the car of all the tire-marks (dog-gone Red Run group and their sticky tires :grr: ) and brake-dust grime. After cleaning it, I decided to check the power-steering belt. Yep, a tad loose and floppy, as belts go.

So, I lifted up and jack-stand'ed the front; pulled the aero-pan, and looked at the power-steering pump ... only to find the 13mm nut that holds the pump to the stud is........ :shock: GONE! :shock: :? Well, that would explain the loose belt. :?

So, I go to loosen the eye-bolt turn-buckle that tensions the belt, and as I apply the wrench .... the right-hand threaded eye-bolt flexes in a most peculiar way. Grabbing the eye-bolt with fore-finger and thumb, I give a slight, gentle .... push-pull ...... only to have the eye-bolt shear in two in my fingers. :evil: :x Inspection of the eye-bolt reveals what appears to be heat-failure (foamy-looking metal) of the bolt.

So a phone call to the guru of essoteric 944 parts (Tim Comeau), and parts problem solved. Since Tim removes power-steering units from 944's for Spec racing, these odd little parts are some of his more unique, if abundant, parts hanging in his "shop." G*d Bless you, Tim, for holding on to these little gems.  :bowdown:

After a quick visit to Tim, I install the new turn-buckle assembly. Voa-La! I have power steering again. W.I.I.T. (While I'm In There) I check the turn-buckle assembly on the alternator/Air-Con units. Although the eye-bolts are sound and the belt is taught, the locking nuts on either side of the turn-buckle are loose. :shock: :roll: So, I tighten them, too.

So, those of you with these fun drivers, and with around 200K+ miles, might want to inspect around this area after (or better yet, before) a big track event. You never know what "loose nut" might show up.

See you on the twisties ...... with power steering and air-con blowing :rockon: .

Dan'o
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby gulf911 on Tue May 02, 2006 5:56 pm

"The Time Trial at Streets was a blast. My car never ran so well ...... except: the power steering belt "squeeked" a couple of times while parking it."

Well, I didn't hear any squeaking, but why were you parking it in the corners???... :shock: :lol:
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Wed May 03, 2006 5:19 pm

gulf911 wrote:

Well, I didn't hear any squeaking, but why were you parking it in the corners???... :shock: :lol:

Because ... when a certain blue and orange car impedes me and goes so slow in the corners, spins in the corners, and generally slows the whole string down ...and I'm not allowed to pass them in the corners .... it's best to just pull over, park, and wait about 10 minutes :x for it to stop spinning, move out of my way, and go to the straights :roll: ... where it can actually use the throttle without spinning :shock: :oops: :lol: .

(You knew that was coming....)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby gulf911 on Thu May 04, 2006 8:59 am

:roll:

What is all this spin non-sense?? Yeah I spun ONCE all day, and that was unfortunately during a timed run... :oops: Although... even with the spin...(read parked) I still beat your first timed run and was a whole .4 sec off of your second.... nice try though.... :lol:
Dan Andrews
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Thu May 04, 2006 9:05 am

It all about timing.... you do a loud screeching spin when EVERYONE is standing around watching, and you will pay :lol:

At least you were driving, Curt is still harassing me with his avatar and it isn't even me :roll:

Plus, I thought Dan C. was pretty fast in the corners, it was just the straights were he seemed to park :P
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Thu May 04, 2006 4:45 pm

gulf911 wrote::roll:

What is all this spin non-sense?? Yeah I spun ONCE all day, and that was unfortunately during a timed run... :oops: Although... even with the spin...(read parked) I still beat your first timed run and was a whole .4 sec off of your second.... nice try though.... :lol:

Touchy touchy, Dan-dude!

Yup: your "Livery'ed 3.2L" with 40% higher-HP, 20%-less-weighted fully race-prepped  :bowdown: AM car beat my stock weighted, stock 2.5L low-HP "touring" :roflmao: GP car even with your spin. Gee, imagine that :roll: .....Good driving on your part! You really taught me a lesson ...(both feet in, right? :lol: )

Like I said....(You knew that was coming....) :lol:

Next time, spin in the bowl, where no one can see you 8) :shock: .

Thanks for the support, Jad. I followed your advice of the past: in the corners, keep the throttle planted. BTW: I discovered a corded tire after the event. I guess I had less tire than I thought after that event. :?

Dan
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Curt on Fri May 05, 2006 11:43 am

Jad wrote:At least you were driving, Curt is still harassing me with his avatar and it isn't even me :roll:

<<<<<<<<<----------- Sure looks like you Jad. Oh come on, sometimes you gotta take one for the team. Don't blame this spin on your wife :oops: :D

The nice thing about Dan A's spins is that when you add the smoke of all four tires locked up to the smoke pouring out of his exhaust pipe there's too much smoke to clearly photograph his spinning car, unlike Jads (see avatar). It's like he's David Copperfield out there with ALL the smoke and spinning and disappearing fast lap times.

And I'm about ready for my comeback you punk b'yatches. Look for a freshly upgraded cams, raised compression, headers, stupid ugly huge winged orange car to contend for last place in AM. Right where I was before I spent all this money. hmmmmmmm? :?: :?: :?:
Curt Anderson
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Fri May 05, 2006 1:54 pm

Maybe if you spend a little more, last place will be all yours :roll:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Curt on Fri May 05, 2006 4:39 pm

Speaking of spending money, how's that head gasket looking?:P

And just to give you and Dan C some ammo, sometimes when Dan A. and I get frustrated enough with what these things cost, we talk about running 944 spec cars. I even talk about Spec Miatas :roll: Heck, a Spec Miata you can buy parts for at 7-11 and get it race prepped at Jiffy Lube. THAT'S what I'm talking about!
Curt Anderson
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Sat May 06, 2006 6:59 am

Curt wrote:Speaking of spending money, how's that head gasket looking?:P

Atta boy Curt! Keep those cheap-shots coming.
And just to give you and Dan C some ammo, sometimes when Dan A. and I get frustrated enough with what these things cost, we talk about running 944 spec cars. I even talk about Spec Miatas :roll: Heck, a Spec Miata you can buy parts for at 7-11 and get it race prepped at Jiffy Lube. THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Curt!!!! SSHHHHHHHH! :nono: 944Spec racers are Porsche's "dirty little secret:" they're inexpensive to build and maintain; really really fun to drive; parts are everywhere; and they seem to out-live most "other" Porsches during enduro's. Along with the fact that you can "real-in" most rear-engined P-cars costing twice...... no, sorry; three times as much....in the corners at many big-track and DE events (as witnessed by Chuck Sharp at Big Willow, Jackie Corwin at Spring Mtn., and even li'le ol' me on film at a Q-DE), the guys and gals who drive them are very nice people to hang and help-out each other when in the pits.

But, don't tell everyone. Tim C. and some of the local shops can only build so many at a time :roll: . Besides, watching the $$-signs flowing from the tail-pipe of an RSR clone in our cheapy $5K cars - as we rapidly approach them in the corners - is really fun for 944 drivers :shock: :lol: .

See you in my mirrors ...... :roflmao:

Dan'o
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby gulf911 on Sat May 06, 2006 12:23 pm

"Besides, watching the $$-signs flowing from the tail-pipe of an RSR clone in our cheapy $5K cars - as we rapidly approach them in the corners - is really fun for 944 drivers"

ummmm...yeah...complete 944 spec cars don't cost 5k... :roll: And the only way you could approach an 'RSR' clone on a corner, would be in Hollywood... :lol: Please note we drive 'RS' clones... :wink:
Dan Andrews
gulf911
Pro Racer

Return to General Discussions