GPX Region at Streets of Willow

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Re: Without the bowl....

Postby jack miller on Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:46 pm

Mike wrote:
jack miller wrote:
Mike, I am thinking about using the bowl counterclockwise in Nov. Is that any safer than CW? I'll make a final decision the day of the event, but any advance info's appreciated. We ran it CW w/bowl in January w/no incidents.

Jack are you saying we will use the bowl for sure? Maybe just not sure which direction at this time?
:idea: Could you possibly make your decision to use the bowl (regardless or direction) before the early bird entry fee expires? :idea:

I ran the bowl CW last time with SDR and thought the only tricky part was the chicane at the end of the straight from the bowl. I was looking forward to running it CCW with PCA next month. CCW would make the chicane much slower/safer. I thought the bowl was one of the track's more interesting features.

Imho balancing the commute/expense/thrill I think a DE at the Q has everything SOW without the bowl can offer.

In case it's not obvious :wink: my vote is for CCW with the bowl.

Thanks for all your help with the TT program :!: :D
Mike G

Sorry, Mike, but I can't commit to any configuration that I have not run before I actually experience it. Since I kind of wear the safety chair hat at TT events, I'll need to make the final decision on the morning of Nov. 13. Odds favor using the bowl, tho', since I've been looking forward to running this config for a year now. Come on dude.
jack miller
Autocrosser

Postby MikeD on Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:03 pm

jack miller wrote:Sorry, Mike, but I can't commit to any configuration that I have not run before I actually experience it. Since I kind of wear the safety chair hat at TT events, I'll need to make the final decision on the morning of Nov. 13. Odds favor using the bowl, tho', since I've been looking forward to running this config for a year now. Come on dude.

OK, now I'm confused. Are you saying that we will run counter clockwise, but it may or may not include the bowl? Or, are you saying that we will of course use the bowl, but you are not sure if it will be clockwise or counter clockwise?

We ran it clockwise with the bowl earlier this year. So that shouldn't be the issue. Seems like the safety issue is counter clockwise including the bowl then, right?
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Mike on Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:35 am

MikeD wrote:
jack miller wrote: Odds favor using the bowl, tho', since I've been looking forward to running this config for a year now. Come on dude.

I'll take that as he'll run the bowl if he can 8) and that I should send in my entry now. :D
Mike
Club Racer

SOW pics are up

Postby Greg Phillips on Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:35 am

OK, I was a littl eslow, but the pics from the GPX Ax at Streets of Willow are now up in NikonNet.com. Thanks to Mike and his crew for a great day, although I was a little tired after 2 days at Pahrump.

http://home1.nikonnet.com/servlet/com.a ... emberguest

If that doesn't work, go to www.nikonnet.com, and click the "Albums" button.
Then log in using the following information:

Login ID: phigr@pacbell.net
Guest password: nikoneditor_1997695840
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Postby jack miller on Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:25 am

MikeD wrote:
jack miller wrote:Sorry, Mike, but I can't commit to any configuration that I have not run before I actually experience it. Since I kind of wear the safety chair hat at TT events, I'll need to make the final decision on the morning of Nov. 13. Odds favor using the bowl, tho', since I've been looking forward to running this config for a year now. Come on dude.

OK, now I'm confused. Are you saying that we will run counter clockwise, but it may or may not include the bowl? Or, are you saying that we will of course use the bowl, but you are not sure if it will be clockwise or counter clockwise?

We ran it clockwise with the bowl earlier this year. So that shouldn't be the issue. Seems like the safety issue is counter clockwise including the bowl then, right?

YOU'RE confused? Dude, you've confused me. I thought I knew what I meant, but now I don't know anything. :banghead: :lol: See Mike G's response...Send in your money.
jack miller
Autocrosser

Postby Michael Dolphin on Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:05 pm

All in all, I think that Mary Jo's suggestion is the best approach -- counterclockwise with cones on the highside of the bowl.

The bowl does add an element of exceptional caution, but I think most would agree that hitting that chicane coming downhill from the bowl (clock-wise) gives you a minimal margin for error.

I never like to wait until the first incident if I can see it in advance. I had a committee of drivers (veterans and newbies) review it at our event and the decision was unaminous to forgo it.

By the way, I have driven it at speed at a "fun" event without the pressure of best times and decidedly did not like it at all.

My two cents worth......
Michael Dolphin
Zone 8 Representative, PCA
Co-Chair, 2005-2010 Zone 8 Speed Festival
Past President - Grand Prix Region
Current: '68 912 - '77 Carrera 3.0 (Euro) - '99 996
Michael Dolphin
Autocrosser

Previous

Return to General Discussions