GPX Region at Streets of Willow

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

GPX Region at Streets of Willow

Postby Michael Dolphin on Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:05 pm

Thanks to the San Diego members who turned out for our 4th Annual Day Away from Work Autocross at Streets of Willow this past Monday. The event was a management success -- no incidents and an on-time schedule.

Should I mention that over 55 drivers had as much as 80 minutes of on-track time?

Results to be posted probably this evening. However, TTD was your very own Burl East -- and the competition was fierce.
Michael Dolphin
Zone 8 Representative, PCA
Co-Chair, 2005-2010 Zone 8 Speed Festival
Past President - Grand Prix Region
Current: '68 912 - '77 Carrera 3.0 (Euro) - '99 996
Michael Dolphin
Autocrosser

Postby gulf911 on Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:55 pm

Burl??? I wondered why he had a smile on his face when he found out I wouldn't be there! :lol: Just kidding of course...Nice job Burl!
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:42 pm

Good Job Burl
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby Burl East on Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:55 pm

If only I could have stomped David in winning my life would be complete. Thanks to all you really fast guys that did not show.

Michael, it was a great day at a great track :) :roll:

You guys are really in for it Saturday - I have new mud and snows - and when you consider the tire chains I now run, tranction is massive (as are sparks and the occasional fire) :rockon:
Burl East
X-CDI
#975 'David M' Stompin RS America
BMW Z8
Aston Martin DB9 (as soon as I get some scratch)
Burl East
Autocrosser

Postby David J Marguglio on Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:54 am

Burl: Yes, many have the life-long dream of beating me, sadly for most, it will remain just a dream. But holy crap! I must commend you for your muds and snow chains ambush ploy...I was caught unprepared and must regroup. :lol:
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:33 am

Good job, Burl. Sorry I couldn't go this year and defend my TTOD from last year. 8) Did you run the bowl section this year, or the old course config? Were practice sessions run with the usual GPR "optimized-autox" car spacing (we don't want to call it a TT format, right?)

TT
(getting the '67S ready for some more 944 wupping tomorrow)
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Burl East on Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:16 am

Tom,

The course was without the bowl (which I did not miss since I have never been on it). The AM was continious lapping with passing on the front straight with a point (same as our TT format).

We had a ton of track time and it was only in the high 80's so all in a great day at Willow.

You guys can also get chains for your cars - they give them away free at Jack in hte Box when you order the grown up man meal. :P
Burl East
X-CDI
#975 'David M' Stompin RS America
BMW Z8
Aston Martin DB9 (as soon as I get some scratch)
Burl East
Autocrosser

Without the bowl....

Postby Michael Dolphin on Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:00 pm

Tom, we did not do the bowl -- even the Willow driving shcool doesn't use it for cars. The exit from the bowl is very long and very fast -- and several cars have not made the chicane change in time to save bent wheels or a-arms. Big brakes help a lot, but big cajones also factor in.

Yes, we did use the "optimized auto-x spacing" formula application for 25-minute run groups at a time. Thus, somewhere around 14 or more potential laps per run-session.

Had a full set of Yokohama any-tires available for raffle and the usual full goodie bags and T-shirts. In fact, I saw that at least one of the Pahrump drivers from the same weekend was wearing our 2003 Day Away event shirt.

Doing it again in late March or April. Don't miss this one.
Michael Dolphin
Michael Dolphin
Autocrosser

Postby B Wulff on Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:44 pm

Thaks for putting on a great event!!
Where will the results be posted?
B Wulff
Autocrosser

Results

Postby Michael Dolphin on Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:28 pm

Results to be posted by tomorrow evening on the Zone 8 website -- www.pca.org/zone8
Michael Dolphin
Michael Dolphin
Autocrosser

Re: Without the bowl....

Postby jack miller on Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:49 pm

Michael Dolphin wrote:Tom, we did not do the bowl -- even the Willow driving shcool doesn't use it for cars. The exit from the bowl is very long and very fast -- and several cars have not made the chicane change in time to save bent wheels or a-arms. Big brakes help a lot, but big cajones also factor in.

Mike, I am thinking about using the bowl counterclockwise in Nov. Is that any safer than CW? I'll make a final decision the day of the event, but any advance info's appreciated. We ran it CW w/bowl in January w/no incidents.
jack miller
Autocrosser

Postby Mike on Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:25 pm

jack miller wrote:
Mike, I am thinking about using the bowl counterclockwise in Nov. Is that any safer than CW? I'll make a final decision the day of the event, but any advance info's appreciated. We ran it CW w/bowl in January w/no incidents.

Jack are you saying we will use the bowl for sure? Maybe just not sure which direction at this time?
:idea: Could you possibly make your decision to use the bowl (regardless or direction) before the early bird entry fee expires? :idea:

I ran the bowl CW last time with SDR and thought the only tricky part was the chicane at the end of the straight from the bowl. I was looking forward to running it CCW with PCA next month. CCW would make the chicane much slower/safer. I thought the bowl was one of the track's more interesting features.

Imho balancing the commute/expense/thrill I think a DE at the Q has everything SOW without the bowl can offer.

In case it's not obvious :wink: my vote is for CCW with the bowl.

Thanks for all your help with the TT program :!: :D
Mike G
Mike
Club Racer

Postby gulf911 on Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:05 am

As far as the track goes...There is no comparison of any track layed out at the Q, to Streets. Just the elevation changes alone are worth the price of admission (sort of) . The surface is about 10 times better, which is less hard on the tires, and it is a much longer coarse. Besides Pahrump, its one of the funnest tracks I have ever been on. I still feel the price should be more in line with other clubs however. POC is running the same venue the weekend before, I haven't found out what they charge yet, but, it used to be under $200.00. My vote is CCW with the bowl.
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby Jeff Grow on Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:13 am

jack miller wrote:Mike, I am thinking about using the bowl counterclockwise in Nov. Is that any safer than CW? I'll make a final decision the day of the event, but any advance info's appreciated. We ran it CW w/bowl in January w/no incidents.

Even though we had no incidents running CW in January, the concern expressed by some was with the speed cars achieved going down the hill from the bowl into the chicanes. If run CCW, you would be going up hill in this section, then I think the bowl would be a decreasing radius (not positive).

CCW would probably be perceived as being safer, unless someone knows of a "gotcha" that results from running this direction.
Jeff Grow
Admin

Postby mnettles on Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:51 am

POC's stated concern with the bowl counter-clockwise is that some genius would go too high and catch a tire on the high side of the exit and then flip down "the ravine" (I haven't found the ravine yet....). Maybe a few cones would be in order to remind the less cautious about that hazard..... In any case, I'll voice my preference for running with the bowl, counterclockwise.

mj
mnettles
Autocrosser

Next

Return to General Discussions