Thunderhill Raceway

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Thunderhill Raceway

Postby MVZ944T on Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:54 am

I had the pleasure of running the POC event at Thunderhill Raceway last weekend and I must say that if you have not run this track, you should. Great set up, fast, technical and well laid out I thought. Has a bit of other tracks built in. Similar straight and turn 1 as Willow Springs big track. An uphill / blind crest downhill with an off camber right similar to the cork screw at Laguna. If you get the opportunity to run there, don't pass it up. A bit of a drive, but well worth it. Just wish it was closer. I will be keeping an eye on the Golden Gate regions schedule next year!!! :lol: :D :P
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:42 am

Thanks for the input, Mike. I have wanted to run that track for quite awhile, and since I am going up to N. Cal. anyway in a week to visit my family, I checked their schedule and found a day I can run there with a group called T.E.A.M., so I'm going to tow the track car up and take a day out from the family visit to run with them on the 21st.

I'm looking forward to reducing my list of CA tracks left to experience to only one-- Sears Point. Next year I'll try to get up to Sonoma for a track day, and then I'll have run them all (I'm just sorry I started this stuff too late to have missed Riverside!)

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Michael Dolphin on Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:01 am

Tom, you are gonna love Sears Point (Infineon Raceway now).

I took the Russell Race School course there this June and it was awesome. Some real elevation changes, tricky esses and a 180 carousel surrounded by concrete walls and entered from a fairly fast straightaway (can you say -- "Brake now!!").

Next year, I definitely plan to enter a competitive event there.
Michael Dolphin
Zone 8 Representative, PCA
Co-Chair, 2005-2010 Zone 8 Speed Festival
Past President - Grand Prix Region
Current: '68 912 - '77 Carrera 3.0 (Euro) - '99 996
Michael Dolphin
Autocrosser

Postby ttweed on Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:29 pm

Michael Dolphin wrote:Some real elevation changes, tricky esses and a 180 carousel surrounded by concrete walls and entered from a fairly fast straightaway.
Yah, there's a lot more "hard stuff" to hit at Infineon than at Thunderhill. :shock: I have been there and checked out the layout, saw the Russell school Formula Fords warming up one morning, but haven't driven the track yet. They were in the middle of a big capital improvement project which I understand is finished now and the track is a little different?

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Return to General Discussions