TT Info

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby glenn_993 on Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:29 am

Thanks for all the great advice. Even though I recently replaced my old tired 4Runner with a new one that can tow up 7500lbs, I think for my first time I'll stick with my street tires. See you all at Spring Mountain! First round of beers is on me.
glenn_993
Autocrosser

Postby mfoley on Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:53 pm

Before we leave the trailer topic, what brands and styples of enclosed trailers do people like the best? I have a 5.4L Expedition as my tow vehicle and am considering an enclosed (read mobile garage) trailer. What is the recommended not to exceed trailer length from experience.
mfoley

Postby kary on Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:01 pm

Mike F,
I might not be understanding your question about "recommended not to exceed trailer length", but this depends upon your tow vehicles maximum towing weight and the tongue weight your tow vehicle can handle. Am I ansering your question? Or are you talking about what is a good length to buy? That depends upon how much stuff you want to put into it, though most people who do not have parking space restrictions tend to buy 24' trailers. Mine is actually 18' with an added 4' v-nose os it is effectively around 21'-22' feet in space having a 18' trialer foot print. Not sure if either of those answered your question.

Regarding trailer brands and types, you need to decide on aluminum or other. That restricts the brands quickly if you select aluminum. I have an "Aluminum Trailer Company" trailer. Like it alot and the workmanship was excellent. They mostly custom make trailers but are very competitive in that market.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby MikeD on Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:05 pm

kary wrote:Mike F

Kary, just any FYI, "mfoley" is Mark Foley. He drives a white 944-Spec and a black 944 Turbo. 8)

Mark, I don't know the towing specs off the top of my head, but I suspect the Expedition could pull just about anything you wanted to get. Jim Copp pulls (what I believe is a) 26' enclosed trailer with his GMC 2500 pickup (at least I think that's what it is, pretty sure it's not a 3500 anyway). He's getting ready to go out to Brainard so I guess he doesn't hate it.

I'm not sure what your parking situation is like, but if you have the room, or are going to end up renting a place (Will R. says he has an outdoor parking spot in the Morena area for $70 a month :shock: ), 26' would be the way to go. You'd have plenty of room to grow into the hobby (just like me) :D.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby kary on Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:07 pm

Sorry Mark, I knew that not sure what my fingers were typing :oops:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Gary Burch on Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:33 pm

This slope is slippery,indeed. I second what Rick and Greg say. Driving to the track and running on street tires is an adventure and a thrill and no less exciting in fact it is probanly more challenging. I am sure others would diagree. But for me it works out fine.
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby mfoley on Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:36 pm

Thanks guys.

I realize weight matters, both tongue weight and gross weight. I tow a 4,500 lb, 22 ft boat now with no problem, however a loaded enclosed car trailer that is less aerodynamic and weighs substantially more must be tougher to tow. I was wondering if I'd even want to consider towing a 24 ft trailer with my relatively short wheel base Expedition.

Another question I have is about brakes. I have surge brakes on my boat trailer. Why might I want electric brakes?

Mark
mfoley

Postby kary on Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:08 pm

Mark,
You are correct about short wheel base tow vehicles and long trailers. You must be very careful to get the correct tongue weight to avoid the dreaded jac knife!

As far as surge brakes versus electric brakes there is no decision in my book, electric brakes with the prodigy brake controller. They work great!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Previous

Return to General Discussions