can I run a Ferrari 355 or 360 at the AX and DE's

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

can I run a Ferrari 355 or 360 at the AX and DE's

Postby sean996 on Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:04 pm

Hey everyone,

I've got a new 996 I've been AX'ing and I'm thinking of buying a Ferrari 355 or a 360.

Will "those that have the power" allow me to AX and DE one of these cars on a REGULAR basis (like every event)?

I'll keep ownership of a P car to keep my membership.

Thanks,

Sean Dynes
sean996
Autocrosser

Postby martinreinhardt on Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:37 pm

They may let you drive in X class once in a while.

I would seriously look into a GT3 or a Lamborghini (if it has to be fast and italian) before buying a Ferrari.
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby sean996 on Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:13 pm

Hey Martin,

Do you know any people that have tracked 355's or 360's?

I don't know if I'm being biased towards Ferrari's, but compared to Lambo's, I've heard they're a lot more reliable/trackable.

I just bought my 996 last November and was led to believe it had a dry sump . . . the window sticker, sales people, and Porsche mechanics all said it was, but it's not. Before I buy a GT3, I want to make sure I understand all of the technical aspects of the car.

Sean
sean996
Autocrosser

Postby Bob Gagnon on Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:07 pm

The standard 996 and GT3 have nothing in common as far as engine and transmission. The standard 996's "integrated dry sump" is really a marketing gimmick designed to obscure the fact the engine is really a wet sump engine.

Be assured the GT3 is a true dry sump engine based on the very first 911 engine's crankcase. The same crankcase is at the heart of every racing 911 engine ever made and every Porsche racing engine ever derived from the 911. The current GT3 engine is in the same series as the GT2 and Turbo, and the Le Mans winning GT1 engine. It is the real thing, Titanium rods, replaceable Nikasil cylinders and all....the standard 996 is junk by comparison for racing use.

The gearbox in the GT3 is derived from the G50 gearbox of the air-cooled cars and has a competition heritage as well. You can get all kinds of LSD's, gears and oil pumps etc for this gearbox. Same comparison to standard 996 as above.

There are a wealth of racing parts for the GT3 from the GT3 RS and RSR and Carrera Cup cars for the suspension and engine available from Porsche Motorsport

If you want a reliable car to track for less money to buy and operate get a GT3 IMHO.... and there would be no questio whether you could run PCA events :mrgreen:
Bob Gagnon
Time Trialer

Re: can I run a Ferrari 355 or 360 at the AX and DE's

Postby ttweed on Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:02 pm

sean996 wrote:Will "those that have the power" allow me to AX and DE one of these cars on a REGULAR basis (like every event)?
Sean-
It has been my understanding that X-cars are limited to entry in events that are under-subscribed. For autox, this is rare. For DE and TT's, you may be able to run another marque, as entries are often needed to meet the minimum break-even point.

There is a red Ferrari 360 that runs most SCCA Solo2 events locally. You may want to go to one and talk to that owner. Their next event is Sun., Aug. 1st, in the west lot.

I agree with everything Bob G. said above. The GT-3 is the real deal- a race car for the street- imminently trackable. No comparison to the 996. Ditto for the GT-2.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Burl East on Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:59 pm

Bob,

I just want you to know that Spong Bob is the best Avatar on the site and I am very upset that I did not think of it first. :P
Burl East
X-CDI
#975 'David M' Stompin RS America
BMW Z8
Aston Martin DB9 (as soon as I get some scratch)
Burl East
Autocrosser

Postby kary on Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:44 pm

Burl, I think it really makes it even more superior of an avatar since his name is Bob as well!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Bob Gagnon on Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:24 pm

Thanks guys.

A little story about Spongebob.

A friend of mine named Marty Schacht decided I needed a "Team SpongeBob Squarepants" windshield header. Marty had one custom made and visited me at an autocross one day to install it secretly while I was out doing my corner working. He took a while installing it, and I returned before he could finish, so I only have "Team SpongeBob"

Hence the beginning of me and Team SpongeBob (without the Squarepants)

Up until that time I had not heard of SpongeBob.
Bob Gagnon
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:30 pm

Bob, I recall running with Martin at the first CFOS (when I first met him) and he had the Sponge Bob sticker on his windshield. It was really funny to see and if he had another at the time I would have put one on my car. As it turned out Martin and I became track buddies and have been running about three events every year with the next one being at Laguna Seca with POC in August. Martin is a great guy as are you Bob! Anyway, you should revive the Sponge Bob racing team and make some smaller stickers as well. I will certainly join the team and do some advertising on my car. What do ya say? Rennlist has the Hey Wait for Me racing Team, let's start another Sponge Bob racing!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby MikeD on Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:57 pm

Kary, if you slowed down a LOT you could join Hey Wait For Me Racing. They let me in as I drive a "Chick Car" so it's a given that I'm slow :lol:
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby ttweed on Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:58 pm

Mike D wrote: you could join Hey Wait For Me Racing
Those guys are hilarious! You ought to post all their slogans here, Mike, I know a lot of people would get a kick out of them. My favorite is "If you spin enough times, sooner or later you're bound to hit an apex." :D

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby kary on Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:55 pm

Mike, thanks for the compliment. I feel at times I am getting faster and then at other times I feel like I have slowed. Having a failed LSD and a screwed up alignment over the past three events may have something to do with my feeling like I am slipping. I did not feel good about my last California Speedway Time Trial post, though more than respectable It should have been down there with Jack! I'll get to your level one day Jack :)

Mile, I would not consider your car a chick car in its current configuration. You spend more time with your car on tracks getting to know how far you can push it and the "Hey wait for Me Racing Team" will revoke your membership :shock: :D
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Curt on Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:51 pm

I think Bob needs to DRESS UP as Sponge Bob before we give him the best avatar award. :D

Don't forget the name of my race team Half Fast Motorsports. We spelled it the nice way, but the naughty way it's pronounced is more fitting of our approach to race preparation. :lol:
Curt
Time Trialer

X cars at TTs

Postby jack miller on Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:37 am

Yes, absolutely. We'd love to have Ferraris or any other track-worthy car join us at the TTs and DEs. Please note that you need 5-pt harnesses (both seats if you require an instructor) and a fire extinguisher. We've had Vettes, Vipers, BMWs, various Japanese cars and god knows what else at our events. Fun!

See you there.
jack miller
Autocrosser

Postby David J Marguglio on Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:06 am

Thank goes for QDE's too, right Jack?
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Next