Question for Autocrossers

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Re: Helmets

Postby jack miller on Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:48 pm

Greg Phillips wrote:
paul-silver wrote:Wow, even for DE and TT? I know M rated is OK for autoX, but I would have expected SA to be required for DE and TT events. Chicago region allows M for autoX but requires SA for track events.

Paul

We are not in Chicago anymore 8)
Proabably not a huge diffrence between SA and M other than flammability standards for SA

Greg

Chicagoans are notoriously careful about fire.

As for the rest of the comments, thank you for sharing your ideas and reasons why you attend and don't attend TTs. TT events have averaged about 50 drivers each event. I thought having 60 would be perfect, so it's not like we're looking for 120 like an AX. No way. TTs are about track time! And, I couldn't handle the extra work. I just thought there might be a few AXers who might like the experience. As always, if you're one of those, don't hesitate to contact me directly or post a question on the forum. P.S. - we forgot to publicize this, but newbies get a first time rate of $150 for the entire weekend.

Oh, speaking for my instructor crew, we're definitely not interested in changing the 5 pt. harness rule for TT. I'd underscore Jad's observations. Put the safety stuff in before you buy anything. Once you've been off the track at a high speed, you'll never ask why you want it.
jack miller
Autocrosser

Postby ajackson on Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:16 am

Even though I tend to think that a lot of people never move up from AX'ing because of the saftey equipment, I understand its reason and am not going to argue for lower requirements for TT's.

Would lower saftey requirements make any sense for the QDE's? I see a lot of people moving up to TT's via QDE's... While faster than an AX course, they can't be the same as a big track and maybe the rules should reflect that.
Alan Jackson
77 911S 3.2L
ajackson
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:28 am

"Would lower saftey requirements make any sense for the QDE's? I see a lot of people moving up to TT's via QDE's... While faster than an AX course, they can't be the same as a big track and maybe the rules should reflect that."

Actually, last year we did in fact adjust the 5-point requirement for first-time QDE drivers. They had to have a mounted fire extinguisher, helmet, etc. However, we did allow 3-point factory installed restraints for the first two events. After that, 5-point systems were required. With the great instructing, and emphasis on safety last year, we had no injuries, and no incidents/accidents at the QDE's (although Dan Andrews got our adrenalin going with one of the longest spins in QDE history :shock: ).

You'll have to check with the A-X Chairs about the standards for this year's QDE's.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:34 am

I can't believe my car classification range got edited out of that post! :shock:

Sorry for all of those I offended by listing our lowest car class :oops: NOT
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby paul-silver on Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:36 am

Greg Phillips wrote:Proabably not a huge diffrence between SA and M other than flammability standards for SA

I thought the key difference between M and SA ratingswas that M rated was good for one good smack, while SA rated was good for a primary smack followed by a series of secondary smacks, which you would presumable get bouncing around inside an automobile.

Paul
paul-silver
Autocrosser

Postby Greg Phillips on Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:21 pm

paul-silver wrote:
Greg Phillips wrote:Proabably not a huge diffrence between SA and M other than flammability standards for SA

I thought the key difference between M and SA ratingswas that M rated was good for one good smack, while SA rated was good for a primary smack followed by a series of secondary smacks, which you would presumable get bouncing around inside an automobile.

Paul

As opposed to bouncing down the road after crashing your motorcycle? :shock:

Greg
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Previous

Return to General Discussions