New SoCal Track Approved!

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

New SoCal Track Approved!

Postby Ward Komers on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:15 pm

A new track has just been approved to begin construction in the Thermal area of Riverside county. Grading starts in July...

http://www.thermal122.com/Club/Scripts/home/home.asp

The developers say they'll rent it out for club events.
Ward Komers

Re: New SoCal Track Approved!

Postby Don Middleton on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Ward, Bill Behun and I stopped to check it out while on our way to Chuckwalla recently. They told us they would NOT rent to clubs. When we got to Chuckwalla, the owner/director of the track told us that Thermal could NOT rent to clubs as part of their deal with the County. :?
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Postby gulf911 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:07 pm

It will be interesting to see how quickly they change their minds if/when their lots aren't all sold. Seriously? An agreement not to rent to clubs? Is this a liability/insurance issue? :roll:
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby Mmagus on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:33 pm

gulf911 wrote:It will be interesting to see how quickly they change their minds if/when their lots aren't all sold. Seriously? An agreement not to rent to clubs? Is this a liability/insurance issue? :roll:

Yeah...Their lots, that you can build a nice comfy place on to house your stuff...but not you...because you will NOT BE ABLE TO SPEND THE NIGHT in it!!!! Its zoned industrial. :roflmao: :roflmao: (Nice business plan they have there.)
85.1 944 Sparky
'87 924S "Tuffy" #123, CC03
'81 928 "Leviathan" Gone to the great beyond.
Mmagus
Club Racer

Postby Don Middleton on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:05 pm

gulf911 wrote:It will be interesting to see how quickly they change their minds if/when their lots aren't all sold. Seriously? An agreement not to rent to clubs? Is this a liability/insurance issue? :roll:

Well, to hear it from the Chuckwalla Valley owner/manager, the only way the County would give the Thermal guys the permits and approvals was if they kept in line with the whole Palm Springs thing, i.e. upscale and exclusive.
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Postby pecivil on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:13 pm

I was at a private presentation there a month ago for Lotus owners. They specifically pointed out one of the many benefits of giving them a giant pile of money was that they would not be renting out the track to those pesky "Club People". I s**t you not. The vibe was "We want rich people to buy in so we can get richer". They made it quite clear they saw club rentals as very non desirable.

The joke was on them if they thought Lotus owners are rich! But they did mention Ferrari's as a desirable car to have at the site about a million times. I quickly noted I will probably never drive there. :banghead:

but the proposed track layout looked really awesome. Long, and many possible variations. And yes there is no overnight stays allowed at your track pad. You can store your car overnite however.
Monte Griffiths - #779
2010 Cayman
pecivil
Time Trialer

Postby JERRY B on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:39 pm

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: That Is Just Wrong
JERRY BUMPUS
Semi Retired Autocross Chair
2004 Cayenne Turbo The Great White Beast
2006 Cayman S The Other White Car
91 944s2 aka The White Car
89 944 TAZ The Not White Car
87 944s Ka BOOOM Car sold
86 944 aka The Black Car sold
JERRY B
Time Trialer

Postby SDGT3 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:33 am

I've seen their business plan and quite frankly, it's going to be a tough sell. It's usually the 2nd or 3rd owner of a track that turns a profit.
Peter Busalacchi
SDGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:11 am

Let them build it, then we can find a way to sneak in :wink:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby JERRY B on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:25 pm

After they build it and go bankrupt, we can buy it, YEE HA :beerchug:
For the Porsche X car club
JERRY BUMPUS
Semi Retired Autocross Chair
2004 Cayenne Turbo The Great White Beast
2006 Cayman S The Other White Car
91 944s2 aka The White Car
89 944 TAZ The Not White Car
87 944s Ka BOOOM Car sold
86 944 aka The Black Car sold
JERRY B
Time Trialer

Postby Ward Komers on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:05 pm

I spoke to the planner for this project (who sits a few cones away from me)...He said that it's true that overnight stays aren't allowed and the "houses" have no bedrooms. The County has no restrictions on the facility being rented out or to whom, so we may have an opening there.

From what I'm hearing, they aren't going to have any problems selling their lots...They've got corporations (tire, brakes, auto manufacturers, etc.) already lined up to buy.
Ward Komers

Postby pecivil on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:16 pm

From what I'm hearing, they aren't going to have any problems selling their lots...They've got corporations (tire, brakes, auto manufacturers, etc.) already lined up to buy

they said this at the meeting we had too. The lots would sell out fast and gets yours now. They said there would be real professional racing events held there too but didn't say what type of series it would be.
Monte Griffiths - #779
2010 Cayman
pecivil
Time Trialer

Postby Mmagus on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:32 pm

pecivil wrote:
From what I'm hearing, they aren't going to have any problems selling their lots...They've got corporations (tire, brakes, auto manufacturers, etc.) already lined up to buy

they said this at the meeting we had too. The lots would sell out fast and gets yours now. They said there would be real professional racing events held there too but didn't say what type of series it would be.

While this may be absolutly true. Having literally grown up on a used car lot I can verify that one of the oldest sales pitches going is the "standing room only".

In many (not all) cases there is a fairly simple test to tell if a sales person is lieing...their lips are moving. :roflmao:
85.1 944 Sparky
Mmagus
Club Racer

Postby gulf911 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:54 am

Just had to ask and they answered , here is their response on renting to Car Clubs...

"Kart track is public, trusting the club includes Thermal members, such track rentals could be possible.
Please contact corporatepartners@thermal122.com to discuss further"
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby Mmagus on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:31 am

:roflmao: [quote="gulf911"]Just had to ask and they answered , here is their response on renting to Car Clubs...

".............. trusting the club includes Thermal members, ..............."[/quote

EXCELLENT!!!

Ok, so....

Who is gonna pony up for the $50,000+ membership?

Anyone?

Bueller....

Bueller......

:roflmao:
85.1 944 Sparky
Mmagus
Club Racer

Next

Return to General Discussions