Cayman, not BoxCoupe

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Cayman, not BoxCoupe

Postby Jim Knoke on Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:25 pm

:shock: Porsche announces development of Cayman sports car; vehicle to slot between Boxster, 911 Posted Date: 2/23/05

from AutoWeek

Porsche long-rumored fourth vehicle line has finally been announced. Called the Cayman S, the vehicle will be a two-seat sports car based on the Boxster. Porsche says it will be available for the 2006 model year.

Positioned and priced between the 911 Carrera and the Boxster S, the Cayman will be powered by a 295 hp, 3.4-liter, six-cylinder boxer engine mounted amidships. Porsche also claims the Cayman's increased space utilization will make it a more practical type of sports car.

The Cayman S joins the Carrera, Boxster, and Cayenne in the automaker's lineup. It derives its name from a small, nimble crocodile species called the caiman.
Jim Knoke

Postby Awolf on Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:27 pm

Is this not the best posssible combination off all things Porsche? I mean optimal engine location: mid, Weight: less than a 997, Rigidity and chassis: Stiffer than a boxster close to a 997, Looks: Very nice in my opinon, Power: Very acceptable. And the possibilty of a clubsport model ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I am frustrated they showed us all this before it came out. It's like opening a candybar in front of your dog then leaving it on the counter where he can see it but not reach. Im pulling the equity out of my house if this thing comes out and it is true to form. Sorry, Just a little excited!
-Andrew

Oh and here is the direct link to that article. http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101865
85.5 Guards Red 944 #954
Awolf

Postby ttweed on Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:56 am

Awolf wrote: Power: Very acceptable. And the possibilty of a clubsport model ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
If they put a GT3 engine in the thing and lightened it up, I would pay attention. Otherwise, it's just another "integrated dry sump" wasserpumper.... :D
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby rss996 on Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:35 am

Such a play on words...."Integrated Dry Sump"......

GT3 engine, come on that would llower their profit margin and upset the fat shareholders!!!!!!!! :lol:
rss996
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions