RAIN?

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:46 pm

Now, all you Drivers really need to take it easy if it does, in fact, rain. Remember, safety first. You might just have to slow way down :cry: .... to about what I typically do when it's dry :? .........through the straight and banked-turns. If that's the case, you can throttle down and wait ..... and wait..... and wait.... until the turn in at turn 3.

While you're waiting for Turn 3 (as I do) you could whistle a few tunes: 8)

Slip-Slidin' Away - Neal Simon
Row, Row, Row your boat - Trad.
Proud Mary (Rollin' on the River) - Credence Clearwater Revival
Ride Captn' Ride (Jad's theme) - (author unkown ... that '70's thing :roll: )
Tale of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot (or is it Light-weight?)
Sailing - Christopher Cross

Or, you cold pull out novels by Tristan Jones (Solo Sailing the Seven Seas, Ice Bound!, etc.) or catch a few scenes from Pirates of the Carribeean on your dash-mounted DVD/Hotlap display. :shock:

I know Toyota makes an intake manifold snorkel for their Australian Land Cruisers; I wonder if it can be converted to the driver's side window of a track car for the drivers? :?

Do diver's masks come with Snell ratings? :rockon:

Okay, I'm done. :surr:
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby bobbrand on Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:52 pm

Accuweather is a little more optimistic than weather channel.
At least they only say a little rain on sat and sun, and dry friday.
bobbrand
Autocrosser

Postby David Ray on Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:50 pm

I guess those of us on the bubble might have lucked out. Today's forecast: showers fr,sa,su.
David Ray
Autocrosser

Postby Curt on Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:52 pm

Seriously, every time the state of California is experiencing drought conditions, maybe the San Diego Region could do the state a service and schedule a bunch of driving events. :lol:

It has really been ridiculous over the last couple of years.
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby MVZ944T on Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:16 am

Okay, so what does Porsche NA have to say about the factory no rain dance? I considered going out and buying a set of rain tires, but since I don't have wipers, defogger, and for some reason taking a high boost turbo car out on a wet track when I have to pay the repair bills, assuming the car would be repairable, kind of bothers me.

As far as a refund goes, I am sure that the track will not refund the money for the weekend. I don't think Zone 8 could afford to. Any time I enter an event, I figure that entry money is spent, whether I run or not, part of the sport the way I see it.

For all of you that want to run the infield track in the wet, you might want to consider all that wet grass, much of it with concrete right behind it.

So I suggest we hire a bunch of Hooters girls to go out and perform a rain dance several times during the weekend, just in case. If it does rain well, what the heck, we can just watch!! :rockon:
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby bobbrand on Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:56 am

The weather channel is now saying cloudy Friday and Sunday, with a chance of rain Saturday. That's better than it was yesterday.
Accuweather is similar - sounds like Saturday will be a rainy day, but we may still have an event.
Not so good for the Concours.

http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/weekend.html?locid=USCA0806&from=search
bobbrand
Autocrosser

Postby MikeD on Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:43 pm

Speaking of rain. I was watching the Golden Gate region's most recent DE/TT at Infineon a couple weeks ago. Pouring rain most of the time I was there (and they still ran BTW). There was a Boxster that went off track on the inside of T2 (I think it's T2 anyway) and got stuck in the mud. It took two emergency vehicles and crew to get it unstuck on back track again (no tow hook as it was a street-stock car). Driver and instructor couldn't do anything but sit helpless and wait. Kind of funny to watch, but I'm sure very frusterating being a participant. The car went off early in the session and that corner flew the yellow for almost the entire session.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Kim Crosser on Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:34 pm

Not to bum everyone out more than necessary, but http://www.MyForecast.com is currently predicting 97% probability of 0.54 inches of rain at Fontana on Saturday. :(

Friday, they say 56% probability of 0.06" of rain, and Sunday is 41% probability of 0.06", so it looks like Friday/Sunday events should be ok, but Saturday is looking pretty iffy...
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby MikeD on Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:38 pm

Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:44 pm

Oh well, Fontana in the rain is better than work any time :wink:

I can't really complain because where I am from it was 3 month lots of snow, 3 month 100F (very hot) and then 6 month of rain. This is still better, but I start to wonder if this isn't "Rainy California" where I moved to. :roll:
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby gulf911 on Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:38 pm

What happens if it rains/pours for (TT) timed runs?? Is it 5 points for everybody? Its not worth sliding my car into a wall for a ribbon. :roll:
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby Curt on Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:50 pm

Look at the bright side Dan. If it rains most of the weekend and you skip several run groups, your tires might last all 3 days. Not worth it for the ribbon? That ribbons worth at least $750 in brand new tires to you, so what's a few hundred more for some body work to a guy with your race budget? You bought brand new tires before the last event too. There are Formula 1 teams that use tires longer than you . :D :D :D

Plus, if you have to hit a wall or two to beat Jad, wouldn't it be worth it? :lol:

They can't cancel a national PCA Club Race because of rain. There are people coming in from all over the country for this. Think how many transporters are already in route to this event. Of course they are bringing rain tires too.
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby Kim Crosser on Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:17 am

Ouch - rain seems to be moving in earlier than expected and may hit both Friday and Saturday. New forecast (http://www.MyForecast.com) is

Friday - 68% prob. of rain, 0.59" expected
Saturday - 79% prob., but only 0.11" expected
Sunday - 41% prob., but only 0.06" (trace) expected

Probably the best to hope for is for the rain to speed up a bit more and clear up on Saturday.
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby Burl East on Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:48 pm

The final word in weather is NOAA - everybody else gets their data from them. Go to NOAA.GOV and enter Fontana. There is a satalite photo lower right that you can click to expand. Color enhancement #4 tracks active participarttion the most closley.

1 inch on the map on your monitor is about 500 miles which is typically about a day or so. Make your own call.

Good luck PCA SDR :)
Burl East
X-CDI
#975 'David M' Stompin RS America
BMW Z8
Aston Martin DB9 (as soon as I get some scratch)
Burl East
Autocrosser

Previous

Return to General Discussions