7/24 auto-x event

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

7/24 auto-x event

Postby kary on Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:56 am

hey, I just wanted to thank everyone that helped put on this event. After being an auto-x chair for 2 years i know how much effort this really takes to pull off well. Good job everyone.

It has been a long time since I have run an auto-x and found the track to be very challenging. Though auto-x is very different than big track driving I found that I was very rusty with some of my skills. Luckily they started to come back to me during the day :D

I guess the main thing I want to say here is do not under esstimate the needs to drive auto-x to keep your car handling skills and fundamentals intact, otherwise there might be a big price to pay on a big track!

I also found the friendship and time to chat with people to be fantastic as it was nice to see folks that I have seen a few years!

And for those of you that beat my time ( 8 of you ), all I can say it I'll be back and around 300 lbs lighter which should make up for the 1.5 second differential, though using street tires as I did might also change the outcome :lol:

Great event everyone!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Burl East on Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:56 pm

Kary,

I hardly seemed as if you were rusty. Hustling that anchor around on (what were they, Conti Mud and Snows?) street tires for a 9th best. Dude, that was great.

:P
Burl East
X-CDI
#975 'David M' Stompin RS America
BMW Z8
Aston Martin DB9 (as soon as I get some scratch)
Burl East
Autocrosser

Postby rss996 on Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:46 pm

Great day at the track....It is fun to see improvement every month for a newbie!!!

See yall in Aug...

Robert
rss996
Autocrosser

Postby martinreinhardt on Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:34 pm

Great AutoX with a challenging track design, I wasn't able to figure out this track at 100% all day long.

Special thanks to Steve G. and Bill I. for helping with my 'DME relay' problem early in the day.
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Sat AX

Postby Rsylvestri on Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:52 pm

Hi there,

This is my first post and yesterday was my first AX. I had a blast and was glad I did the 12/03 Performance Driving school.
All seemed to run smooth with 140 or so drivers there, so I give all involved a pat on the back. Now I can't wait for the next couple of AX's in the coming months 8>)

Rick Sylvestri
'76 Carrera 3.0 #418 CC07
'95 993 C4, sold
'77 911S targa 3.2
'09/'10/'11/12' TT Tech chair
Rsylvestri
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:39 pm

Burl, thanks for the compliment even though you pasted me good! Though it was not bad considering I had to drive a battleship, too stiff of a suspension, very heavy wheels, all purpose tires with treads, and oh yeah, the sun was in my eyes during the last run :lol:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Great Job, gang....

Postby Michael Dolphin on Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:54 pm

Please add my compliments to the AX team for the Zone 8 Autocross. I was disappointed that I was too late to enter (my fault -- too slow to leave Pasadena). However, I enjoyed the camarerie as well as spending the greater part of the day as an observer.

The encouraging obsevation was the flexibility of the team in dealingwith the huge number of entrants, the unexpected oil incident and the resulting delays and -- no drama or trauma, cool and calm heads prevailing. Congrats.

By the way, someone should book Burl East :lol: for "Last Comic Standing".

See you much earlier for the next one.
Michael Dolphin
Zone 8 Representative, PCA
Co-Chair, 2005-2010 Zone 8 Speed Festival
Past President - Grand Prix Region
Current: '68 912 - '77 Carrera 3.0 (Euro) - '99 996
Michael Dolphin
Autocrosser

Re: Great Job, gang....

Postby ttweed on Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:14 am

Michael Dolphin wrote:See you much earlier for the next one.
Hey Michael-
Thought I saw you in the pits on Sat. Sorry you didn't get to run. Next time you come down, I hope you can bring my TTOD trophy from the last SOW event you put on for Grand Prix region, if there is one. That's the only Zone 8 event where I have ever won TTOD, after several years of trying, with only a few seconds and thirds as my best results previously. I promise to cherish and display it suitably if it ever shows up. :D

Thx,
TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Return to General Discussions