Observing FOS

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Observing FOS

Postby bryanearll on Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:44 pm

Hello Guys,
It's very easy to watch events at the FOS and say.. 'I can do that.'

The wide track, banked turns, and excellent viewing belighs the speed, or so it seems.

I watched a couple of hours today of the Club Race and I assume DE going on (BTW - to PCA North America it would be nice to have a schedule for the paid viewers.)

I spoke with Chuck Hassel just after he finished his runs (140mph on the straight and 125 into the corner). From the infield the cars seemed to be CRAWLING to me. First track trip for me so I have no perspective at all; but from the stands I would have felt very comfortable out there in a Lincoln Navigator. So it's all about perspective. Chuck's exhileration was intoxicating and it felt like "yes, I need to be there".

Still, the event did quantify (for the moment) my intent and interest in Club Racing. I'd like to drive to the track not trailer.

Walking past the Racer's Group pit, where a driver had encountered a tire, it reminded me that 'things happen'. A budget for racing should start with considering the vehicle a loss.

I enjoyed watching so many of you run. "Hey, I know that guy!"
How cool is that!
Bryan Earll

BTW - BEST VANTAGE POINT WAS IN THE INFIELD AT THE HARD 80 DEGREE BEFORE THE CHICANE.
Bryan Earll
'01 996 C2 #339
bryanearll
Time Trialer

Re: Observing FOS

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:22 am

bryanearll wrote:Hello Guys,
It's very easy to watch events at the FOS and say.. 'I can do that.'

The wide track, banked turns, and excellent viewing belighs the speed, or so it seems.

I watched a couple of hours today of the Club Race and I assume DE going on (BTW - to PCA North America it would be nice to have a schedule for the paid viewers.)

I spoke with Chuck Hassel just after he finished his runs (140mph on the straight and 125 into the corner). From the infield the cars seemed to be CRAWLING to me. First track trip for me so I have no perspective at all; but from the stands I would have felt very comfortable out there in a Lincoln Navigator. So it's all about perspective. Chuck's exhileration was intoxicating and it felt like "yes, I need to be there".

Bryan, the speed is very deceptive from the stands. Driving my 944 at 118 on the front straight, and 112 to 115 on the 30-degree bank was "envigorating" to say the least, but from the stands you'd wonder if I was stuck in 3rd! :roll: The infield allows a ton of high-speed drift, but you have to be practically at track-level viewing to really see it. It's 1000-times more intense from inside the vehicle. 8) You definitely wouldn't want to drive it in a Navigator! :shock:

bryanearll wrote:Still, the event did quantify (for the moment) my intent and interest in Club Racing. I'd like to drive to the track not trailer.

You can definitely drive to the track and drive the track, depending on your tire set-up. One year I drove Azenis tires, and drove up to, drove on the track, and drove home on one set of tires/wheels.....twice! :D It's totally possible, especially since the track surface is so smooth, your tire wear is less than at a DE at the Q.
:wink:
bryanearll wrote:Walking past the Racer's Group pit, where a driver had encountered a tire, it reminded me that 'things happen'. A budget for racing should start with considering the vehicle a loss.

The string from before; about warantees; should think about that point of view.

One thing that kept me from the big-tracks and bigger events was the notion of losing my car in a big Oops! I didn't go to the bigger events until I was confident I could handle different scenarios. Still, since I can't control the actions of potential idiots out on the track :cry: , every time I go to the "big" show, I'm mentally prepared for anything.... even the potential loss of my precious $4500.00 944. :shock: Sad, but true...... :evil:

bryanearll wrote:I enjoyed watching so many of you run. "Hey, I know that guy!"
How cool is that!
Bryan Earll

BTW - BEST VANTAGE POINT WAS IN THE INFIELD AT THE HARD 80 DEGREE BEFORE THE CHICANE.

Definitely the best seat in the house. :wink:

Bryan, keep working on your driving skills, qualify for the DE's at the Q and practice, practice, practice. 8) Big track events are really the greatest show on earth, if you have the time and money to participate. :wink:

See you down the road, and at the Q. 8)

Dan
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Return to General Discussions