Zone 8 Speed Fest

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Zone 8 Speed Fest

Postby pdy on Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:46 am

Big THANK YOU to all the organizers and volunteers for this event. It was great to see a lot of good, enthusiastic help, and from many regions in the zone. Awesome job!
pdy
Time Trialer

Great event

Postby jack miller on Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:15 am

Thanks to Vince and the 100 other volunteers. Job well done. It was great to see Michael Harris at the event showing the support of PCASDR. Even the rain added an interesting aspect to things.

Greg Phillips, can you track down the photos of the cars splashing thru the lake? Great Witness cover.
jack miller
Autocrosser

Postby lowyder993s on Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:23 am

Greg Phillips, can you track down the photos of the cars splashing thru the lake? Great Witness cover.

What he said!!!!

Great job...thx for the fun!!!

BTW...what was up w/ the enduro start? No pregrid?
Jim
97 c2s street
76 RSR wing-thing #352 track -for sale
71 3.8 RS+ Track
lowyder993s
Time Trialer

Postby glenn_993 on Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:30 am

I would like to add my thanks to Vince and company, and Jack too!. Great event despite the little bit of rain. Had a blast driving my 993 at 140. Just couldn't quite make the under 2:00:00 club. :( But there's always next year. :D
Glenn Marlin #24
96 993 C2 track
glenn_993
Autocrosser

Postby Jad on Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:53 am

Well run despite the challenging weather. Sure made for some interesting driving. Following Steve in the rain was very entertaining half the time as he was really slipping and sliding around, unfortunately the the other half of the time his big slicks threw up so much water I couldn't see anything and had to drive toward the sound of his engine :shock:

Not trying to be a pest as everyone did a great job, but I would love to know the final results and can't wait for them to be posted :oops:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby kary on Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:27 am

Great weekend, thanks to Vince, and Jack, and Robert, and and.. it goes on and on, Great Job!!!

Regarding TT results, there is an issue with the timing software that Robert is working out. Once it is worked out I will post them.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Carl Scragg on Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:47 am

Great job everyone! Easily the best run Speed Festival yet.

While driving in the rain on that big track with the hard walls was initially intimidating, I think it was a very educational experience. It really emphasized the need for smoothness. After I realized how much grip the tires had (or didn't have) I began to relax and enjoy the slippery track. And watching Steve drive sideways made me glad that I didn't have slicks.

IMHO the timing format was an improvement over the standard 1 warm up, 2 timed laps routine. We had 30 minutes of timed laps and everyone was pushing hard the whole session. Great fun!
Carl Scragg
Autocrosser

Postby Carl Scragg on Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:48 am

Great job everyone! Easily the best run Speed Festival yet.

While driving in the rain on that big track with the hard walls was initially intimidating, I think it was a very educational experience. It really emphasized the need for smoothness. After I realized how much grip the tires had (or didn't have) I began to relax and enjoy the slippery track. And watching Steve drive sideways made me glad that I didn't have slicks.

IMHO the timing format was an improvement over the standard 1 warm up, 2 timed laps routine. We had 30 minutes of timed laps and everyone was pushing hard the whole session. Great fun!
Carl Scragg
Autocrosser

Postby MikeD on Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:48 am

I'll add my input. Thanks Vince, Ron, Jack, and everyone else that made this event happen. I had a GREAT time despite mis-interpreting the weather and starting the sprint race Sat. with drys (Jack: you're a better man than I :D) and then breaking a ball joint 40 minutes into the Enduro.

Jim: I think a lot of people showed up at 1:45 (or later) expecting to be gridded for a 2:45 Enduro start. Unfortunately, the Enduro started at 1:45. I was very curious as to why there were so many holes in the grid. :shock:
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby lowyder993s on Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:20 am

Jim: I think a lot of people showed up at 1:45 (or later) expecting to be gridded for a 2:45 Enduro start. Unfortunately, the Enduro started at 1:45. I was very curious as to why there were so many holes in the grid

I'll post the start of the race tonite and some other hilites :twisted:
Your buddy Don Davis was a madman...he was gridded behind me at the start.

I gotta Black flag for my transponder not working :evil: :evil:
Bill H and I had a great duel going on. I was hoping to get into the 1:53's...he may have just pushed me there, but w/ an NFG transponder we'll never know.
Jim
97 c2s street
76 RSR wing-thing #352 track -for sale
71 3.8 RS+ Track
lowyder993s
Time Trialer

Postby gulf911 on Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:59 pm

Big thanks to Jack, Vince. and everyone else involved!! I had a blast. Very well run event. And a special thanks for the driving suit rental from Steve Grosekemper!! I would have had to drive back to OC to get mine on Friday morning. :cry:

To Capt. Neptune: Excellent time! I had too much rear stick and no front stick :x , lost all my time through the bank by not keeping my foot planted all the way around. :? Maybe next time. :roll:
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby kary on Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:28 pm

gulf911 wrote:Big thanks to Jack, Vince. and everyone else involved!! I had a blast. Very well run event. And a special thanks for the driving suit rental from Steve Grosekemper!! I would have had to drive back to OC to get mine on Friday morning. :cry:

To Capt. Neptune: Excellent time! I had too much rear stick and no front stick :x , lost all my time through the bank by not keeping my foot planted all the way around. :? Maybe next time. :roll:

Was that you with that big wing on the rear and nothing up front to equalize the down force?
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby gulf911 on Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:07 pm

Hi Kary,
Yep, that was me. I couldn't adjust the wing to 0 deg because the adj holes didn't line up. That would have helped a little, but that wouldn't have helped me keep my foot down on the bank... :oops: I also need camber plates in the front. I only have about 1.75 deg negative in front, which is also why the car just wouldn't turn in, and I had so much stick in the rear, even an abrupt off the gas would n't bring the rear around. That and no brakes after 3-4 laps (read no cooling) completes my excuses for the day.... :roll:
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby Chuck Hasel on Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:07 pm

The event was a total blast. Thanks to everyone, Vince, Ron, Jack, Skip, Robert ...
Chuck Hasel
1999 Carrera
Chuck Hasel

Postby JoseG on Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:04 pm

Thanks to everyone involved with putting on this event! Everyone and the weather was extremely kind & helpful in making my first autocross event a total blast. :D It was run pretty smoothly and we got a lot of track time. Kudos to all the volunteers.
Special thanks to Paul Young for the ride & giving me a place to crash Sat nite, it would have been a long drive home & back for the autocross. :D

Does anyone have email or website for the crew taking pictures?
Autocrosser
95' 993
JoseG

Next

Return to General Discussions