Are extended waranties a good investment on 996??Need advice

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Are extended waranties a good investment on 996??Need advice

Postby rss996 on Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:04 pm

I have a 2000 996 C2 Coupe w/ 19k miles...Out of warranty in mar of 04...I will only auto x it due to baby on the way, wife, and 2 daughters....

Should I look into an extended warranty or are they a waste of money?

Kind of freaked out by all the 996's and there major engine problems..Boxter's too...

I have found a ton of info on Rennlist and horror stories of engine replacements and rear main seal leak after rear main seal leak...

Thanks for any advice.

Robert
rss996
Autocrosser

Extended Warranty

Postby twitte on Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:47 pm

Robert,

I have a 2000 996 and bought the extended warranty. My air conditioner went out right after the warranty expired and the cost to repair it was about $2,500. Thank goodness I had the extended warranty! It was worth the money (to me anyway). I extended it by 4 years, and up to 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Ted Witte
twitte
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:54 pm

Sort of depends upon how long you have had your car and what kind of issues if any you have had with it. If you have had it for a long time and nothing has gone wrong with it you might skip the extended warranty. On the other hand if you have had major or just consistent pesky issues then you probably should buy it and right quick.

In general we are just buying these warranties to have peace of mind and to avoid that big bill one day when the engine needs to be replaced. So if you are going to aggressively auto-x the car or are fairly aggressive on the street, your chances of something happening are obviously increased.

You need to decide what you can live with as the those stories on Rennlist are real and are probably only the tip of the iceberg :x
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:10 am

Don't forget, many people use the Rennlist because of problems, the people with perfect cars don't post saying another day, no problems.

Warranties, especially extended warranties are insurance. Thus, the warranty company is making money on the deal. On average, you are better off NOT getting them. That said, the piece of mind is very valuable and you are protected against the $10K repair.

You need to decide how risk adverse you are and buy the appropriate amount of insurance (warranty) for you.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Kim Crosser on Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:40 am

You may also want to read the forum thread "Voided manufacturer's warranty on cars". (Last posting I saw was from 1-2 weeks ago, so look down a ways in the forum list.)

Basically, the official PCNA policy is that racing (including AX) voids the warranty. So if you are getting the extended warranty thinking you might bend or break something at an AX - it may not help.
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby jack miller on Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:29 am

Kim Crosser wrote:You may also want to read the forum thread "Voided manufacturer's warranty on cars". (Last posting I saw was from 1-2 weeks ago, so look down a ways in the forum list.)

Basically, the official PCNA policy is that racing (including AX) voids the warranty. So if you are getting the extended warranty thinking you might bend or break something at an AX - it may not help.

Porsche never made an issue out of the activities on my car when my engine blew. They will hassle you if you've missed a downshift and overrevved the engine; the computer knows everything. Fortunately my car only had one small, first gear occurance of that. They gave me a new engine. My car had 46k miles on it and was within a week of 4 years old. I think DE, AX type stuff will not be an issue w/warranties. Racing? Who knows. I wouldn't race the 996 anyway. I do think PCNA would have a hard time saying DE/TT track events void the warranty when Porsche Driving Experience is a big part of their marketing. All that said, get the warranty if you're going to drive the 996 in AXs.
jack miller
Autocrosser

Postby MikeD on Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:26 am

jack miller wrote:Porsche never made an issue out of the activities on my car when my engine blew. They will hassle you if you've missed a downshift and overrevved the engine; the computer knows everything. Fortunately my car only had one small, first gear occurance of that. They gave me a new engine. My car had 46k miles on it and was within a week of 4 years old. I think DE, AX type stuff will not be an issue w/warranties. Racing? Who knows. I wouldn't race the 996 anyway. I do think PCNA would have a hard time saying DE/TT track events void the warranty when Porsche Driving Experience is a big part of their marketing. All that said, get the warranty if you're going to drive the 996 in AXs.

I would have to second what Jack said. I have not had a blown engine, but I have had a number warranty issues taken care of. And it's pretty darn obvious what I do with my car ;). The guys at Pioneer Centers are really good about taking care my car. I have not tried Hoehn, but I've heard they are a Poseurs Dealership (i.e. "Porsche's are for Poseurs and should be treated as such") and would not even consider taking my car there.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:07 am

I also agree with Jack M. and Mike D.

If I would have known that a warranty extention was offered by Porsche North America, then I would have extended it on my Boxster.

The problems with my Boxster started around 50k miles with a leak in the powersteering hose, clutch and cracked flywheel, 2nd and 4rd pignon gears broke (can not be repaired) = replacement gearbox, half shafts and these are just the major problems.

GET THE WARRANTY
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby rss996 on Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:31 pm

I will check with Hoehn and see the cost...

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

Robert
rss996
Autocrosser

Postby rss996 on Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:39 pm

Pioneer said they will give me GE Capital's 2 yr 75k miles 5 star program for 2715...3 yrs at 3100 and 75k total miles.

Sounds good to me!

Robert
rss996
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions