The last time Trial Format...

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby Curt on Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:27 pm

I think I just figured out how to be competitive. I'm only going to count the points that are on the left side of my car. I mean, I only sit on the left side of the car, right? With my selective point counting, it looks like I'm now in GSS. :D
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby Mike on Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:35 pm

gulf911 wrote: ....you are going to run in AR aren't you??

Yes AR, 10 points for the cage touching the shock towers ensured that.

gulf911 wrote:
When's the car going to debut?

Cary/ERP and Jae/Mirage are engineering some very cool rear suspension upgrades. Late May it will be ready for testing. :D

AM was sure fun last couple of years, seems a rules change (at least locally) really was not needed. :?:

back on topic.....
Some really good comments regarding the TT timeing. Some may find added safety in Sunday’s timed session format which allowed more than one lap to get heat in the car, tires, brakes and driver.

Regarding the timed run starting grid. I prefer to base it on best time of the weekend. It may more accurately represent each cars capability providing a grid sequence that promotes in trail spacing, not compression. That is unless your object is to penalize someone for not running or just running poorly Sunday morning?
Mike
Club Racer

Postby Curt on Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:54 pm

gulf911 wrote:
I will ask Steve what we (AM boys, you, me, Curt, Mick, Lewis, Tom Tweed , Mike G etc.) could do to compete in AM against a 3.6 and 315 rears. The rule change has made all of our cars obsolete in that class.

Run in FI? Sell our cars? Run Spec Miata?

Buy the club a new calculator?

Run with the Alfa Romeo club? The BMW Club? NASA?

Put graphics on our cars that say "I am Rolands B'yatch"? :D

How about hire Hans Stuck to drive our cars in AM? No, I don't think Hans could overcome that deficit.

Steal Rolands transponder and reprogram it to add 5 seconds to every lap he completes, oh wait, that wouldn't have helped you, now would it Dan? :D

Ouch! :D :D
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:29 pm

A couple of comments;
As for the format, I hated it last year because I tried to battle Bill Dawson and we really screwed each other with his car being so fast on the oval and me being so fast on the infield. If we would have separated ourselves we both would have had better times.
This year I was smarter and had a fairly clean run. The 30-minute race format was a lot of fun, I know I got the car to go as fast as it was going to go and put it away.

As for a 3.2L car never running in the 1:51.xx zone, I ran 1:51:4 in practice in a very un-aerodynamic 914-6 with a 225HP 2.7L motor. I changed suspension, wing and gearing choices since last time and was able to run flat out from the oval to turn 3. My constant weather induced ignition problems kept me from running a good time in timed runs. (I have other excuses as well, if you would like to hear them)

As far as a wicked 2.7L 911s, I bet Anthony DiLanzo would have placed right between Roland and Bob Ehrman. Very fast car and driver.

I hate sticking up for Roland, but his motor is only a stock 95 993 motor with exhaust and chip. No magic, just a good running motor. As for his total points I guess someone will have to check his tech/reg sheet next weekend. The car is very well balanced however. Good power/stick/aero package.

This track is a very interesting track because it is not just a HP track (Big willow) or just a handling track (Button willow) it is a combo track. Everything must be perfect with no overkill. A 600 HP 912 is just not going to win here.

All in all I had a really good time with some great friends. I got to run with people I don’t usually get to because of the rain. I ran neck and neck with Carl Scragg and Bernie Bogard in the rain because my slicks were no match to their “rain” tires. The rain session video looks great with all the “panoramic” views of the track exiting each corner.

See you all at Button willow.
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby kary on Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 pm

Steve Grosekemper wrote:A couple of comments;
This year I was smarter and had a fairly clean run. The 30-minute race format was a lot of fun, I know I got the car to go as fast as it was going to go and put it away.

A fairly clean run? I was behind you, but catching you the entire session. There was not anyone in front of us the entire session, well except for you being in my way :shock:

:lol:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:38 pm

In your way?
You should be thanking me for providing you with such fine incentive!
I did notice you catching me towards the end of the session and knew I was not going to improve my times wth my failing ignition so I packed it in early.

BTW- Nice driving... and I will try to do a better job of keeping up the pace next time.
Steve Grosekemper #97
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby kary on Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:41 pm

Steve Grosekemper wrote:In your way?
I did notice you catching me towards the end of the session and knew I was not going to improve my times wth my failing ignition so I packed it in early.

BTW- Nice driving... and I will try to do a better job of keeping up the pace next time.

Yes, thank you Steve!!! It was nice to chase someone, wish Jack would have stayed with us on the first lap, that would have been fun also!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Red Rooster on Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:40 pm

Steve Grosekemper wrote:"....As for a 3.2L car never running in the 1:51.xx zone, I ran 1:51:4 in practice in a very un-aerodynamic 914-6 with a 225HP 2.7L motor."

*** and probably alot lighter than the 911 3.2L AM cars too...?

"As far as a wicked 2.7L 911s, I bet Anthony DiLanzo would have placed right between Roland and Bob Ehrman. Very fast car and driver."

*** True Anthony is very fast, small detail...he is running a high strung 2.9L w. carbs (correct me if I'm wrong on this...but he's quik in any combo.

"I hate sticking up for Roland, but his motor is only a stock 95 993 motor with exhaust and chip. No magic, just a good running motor."

*** Isn't a stock non-varioram ('95) 3.6L 993 motor about 270-280 hp? in stock "from the dealer" form? ...now add that chip and exhaust...subjectively I'll add another 10hp b'tween the two and call it 280hp...that's a fair estimation.

*** If I am anywhere near being correct, that's a pretty wide H.P. spread b'tweem a stock 3.2L and a 3.6L.... 225-230 vs. 270-280hp... don't you think?...and we are all competing for the same pickle dish

"As for his total points I guess someone will have to check his tech/reg sheet next weekend. The car is very well balanced however. Good power/stick/aero package."

*** I don't question Rolands integrity and completely trust his tech/points classification. Kinda seems like a loop hole in the car classification breakdown and he is leagally taking good advantage of it. I think my next move is to do the same thing !!

Steve, just had to beak down your original msg with my reply. no harm no foul... :D
Johnny Riz
Red 73 911 AM #255
Red Rooster
Autocrosser

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:46 am

No harm or foul taken...

No one ever mentioned weight. Just engine displacement, 1900 lbs. BTW.

I believe Anthony is running a (Yes highly strung) 2.7L motor with Motec Injection. But I could be wrong. It makes big top end HP. But still a 2.7L. It only takes about 2 laps at WSIR until I can't see him anymore. Very fine driving.

I never said Roland’s 3.6 wasn't fast (272HP stock I believe) only that it wasn't a magically massaged Mark Kinninger motor. Probably and honest 290HP.

If you aren’t running a 54-point car you just aren't playing the same game. I know Dan Andrews’s car is at the low end of the AM range. A 42-point AM car is not going to be competitive.

I didn't mean Roland was cheating; Roland isn't that kind of guy. But I bet I could find 10 cars at Saturdays AX that are Miss-classified due to ignorance of the new 2005 rules.

As for Roland’s dominance I think Clark Smiths black AM car could have given Roland a run for his money.

And here's a thought totally out of left field... Maybe Roland just drove the wheels off the car?
Na....

Just my $.02 See you all Saturday.
Steve Grosekemper #97
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby ttweed on Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:45 am

Steve Grosekemper wrote:But I bet I could find 10 cars at Saturdays AX that are Miss-classified due to ignorance of the new 2005 rules.
Just as an aside, before this year's rule change, Roland's car would have been in HM, not AM.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby ttweed on Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:02 am

Steve Grosekemper wrote:I believe Anthony is running a (Yes highly strung) 2.7L motor with Motec Injection. But I could be wrong.

Last I saw it, Anthony's car had a 2.8 running EFI with TWM throttle bodies and Haltech engine management. Maybe he's changed it lately, though...

And here's a thought totally out of left field... Maybe Roland just drove the wheels off the car?
Bingo! Roland's car is not only optimized well for the class and the track, but he has a lot of experience at the Speedway now and knows how to make time there.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby jack miller on Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:17 am

kary wrote:
Steve Grosekemper wrote:In your way?

Yes, thank you Steve!!! It was nice to chase someone, wish Jack would have stayed with us on the first lap, that would have been fun also!

Kary, I had every intention of staying with you on those first laps but on the second lap I went thru the first kink on cold tires and went off big time and had to suffer my own stop and go penalty. After that I was behind a lot of cars and had to fight my way to clean air for 4 laps or so. My last three laps were ok tho', as I was reeling in the black and brown 911. Don't know who that was. Best lap was my last lap.

Next time we should mention that if someone is getting off the track during qualifying, they should keep their pace 100% until in the hot pit entrance. I was having a good lap when I came upon a to-be-unnamed Gt3, who was putzing thru the last corners with his arm out the window. My one-finger salute didn't make him go any faster, but made me feel better.

I thought the whole thing was good fun, traffic and rain included. See you at Buttonwillow. Hey, May 6-8. Las Vegas. A bunch of us are going. Try to make it!
jack miller
Autocrosser

Postby kary on Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:10 am

Jack, yes I wondered where you went. You ran a great time! Well done!

I know what you mean about slippery at the beginning. I seemed feel like with all the rain that the track never really hooked up like it did the prior years. Did you find the same?

I am going to go to the POC Tribute in two weeks, so I am going to pass on the Vegas event. Will make Buttonwillow though!

Great event, I agree about the rain, traffic, and weekend in general, great time!!!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Curt on Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:27 pm

ttweed wrote:[
Bingo! Roland's car is not only optimized well for the class and the track, but he has a lot of experience at the Speedway now and knows how to make time there.

TT

I think it's possible Roland drove the wheels off of his car. There's one thing no one mentioned. Roland took first place in the BRI at the Steets TT in January on a track that rewards great handling. At Fontana, Roland also took 1st place in the BRI on a track that rewards great handling AND huge horsepower. Is there anyone who won't concede that Roland is clearly the best driver in the entire club?
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby Curt on Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:55 pm

One other thing that is kind of interesting is that last weekend Mick Rosen and I ran a TT with the Alfa Romeo club. One of Micks friends came with us to watch. The friend used to race a 911 with VARA but sold his car years ago. He is really itching to get back into it and he asked us if we knew of any nice, early 911 race cars for sale. Mick said that Lewis had a very nice RS clone with a 3.2 that was a very nice car, well prepped, fast, great looking. The guy got very excited about because he likes Viper green and they talked asking price and if it was worth it and Mick said he thought it was. The guy asked if he would run in the same class with us and Dan. We said yes. He got really excited. Lewis's home remodeling fund was looking like it was going to receive a big bump.

Then the guy asked if the car was competitive. I don't think Lewis's phone will be ringing from this guy anytime soon. Sorry Lewis, we tried.
Curt
Time Trialer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions