The last time Trial Format...

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby Otto on Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:19 pm

I also believe that Roland is a superior driver, as shown by his results. However, it is also worth noting that AM drivers have won more BRI first places than any other class in 2004 and this year, which speaks for the capability of the drivers but also for the tuning potential of the class. This fact could be an indication that their BRI factor may be somewhat lenient relative to other classes and should be looked at. They are, of course, not the only class that deserves some scrutiny with respect to the BRI factors and maybe it is time that we do some adjustments, as others have also pointed out.
Otto H. Obrist
1986 944 Turbo # 577
Otto
Time Trialer

Postby Curt on Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:33 pm

I have to say that I don't remember an AM class driver EVER winning the BRI until these last two events with Roland winning. AM is normally penalized pretty heavily in the BRI.

Case in point, Tom Tweed never won the BRI in his AM class car, but pop him into his GSS or GS class car and that 1st place BRI waxed dolphin trophy becomes a permanent decoration on his mantle.

Who else from AM has ever won it?
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:06 pm

Curt wrote:I think it's possible Roland drove the wheels off of his car. There's one thing no one mentioned. Roland took first place in the BRI at the Steets TT in January on a track that rewards great handling. At Fontana, Roland also took 1st place in the BRI on a track that rewards great handling AND huge horsepower. Is there anyone who won't concede that Roland is clearly the best driver in the entire club?

Curt, I think Roland is a good driver. Best in the club? Not sure about that. At streets, I beat his time, narrowly, in a much heavier car. Albiet, I had slicks on compared to his hoosiers, but he has weight and many points well beyond my car. Not to mention almost the same engnie (272hp .vs. 282). So I guess I have a hard time thinking that Roland is the best driver in the club and when you add int he BRI, which is flawed in many ways (no reflection on the creators) it definitely does not make sense to me.

Roland, nice drive though! I'll work on ya at Buttonwillow if you are not at the POC tribute in two weeks 8)
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Mike on Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:18 pm

Curt wrote:Who else from AM has ever won it?

I may have at Buttonwillow TT 2004?

Rumor is Lewis sold the green devil already.

Congrats Roland!
Mike
Club Racer

Postby Otto on Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:20 pm

Curt

I was talking about TT events only, not AutoX. AM won last January at Streets (Roland), last June at Big Willow (Anthony) and at Buttonwillow last February (Mike Gagen). Those events are the only ones I checked, there could be others.
Otto H. Obrist
1986 944 Turbo # 577
Otto
Time Trialer

Postby bobbrand on Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:36 pm

Bill Ibbetson is best driver  :bowdown:
If you can win BRI in a K-class non-stripped street car that wins concours, and finish third overall only to two former professional drivers in GT2 and GT3, then you are the best.
Although, I will systematically take him apart at Buttonwillow :)

Actually, now that I think about it, I think that the BRI was revised and James GW won the BRI and the overall in his GT2. James GW is the best  :bowdown:
bobbrand
Autocrosser

Postby Curt on Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:43 pm

Then I stand corrected. It's not the first time..... :D
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby JHPGT3 on Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:38 pm

I'd like to add my .02 about Roland which might be of interest. In the last six Time Trials, according to Kary's nicely organized data on his WEB site, I have gone from the top 61% to the top 33%, the top 28%, the top 20%, the top 16%, and finally, the top 13%. In this time I have been fortunate to have had many of you ride with me and either instruct me by example or give me some direct instruction. This includes Jack (an incredible driver whose skills I will never attain), Jae (another great driver and extremely encouraging), Kary (great driver with some excellent advice), Rod Sussman (a great teacher/communicator and de-briefer afterwards), and Roland. I can only aspire to be the driver that you all are --it will probably never happen in this lifetime.
All of the aforementioned have contributed greatly to my growth as a driver, but, FWIW, I have to say that Roland was able to quickly zero in on a specific area where I needed to improve that has contributed more to my improved times than anything else (it will remain a Top Secret). So, Roland IMO is not only a great driver, and able to get a lot out of his car, but he's also able to identify ways for others to get a lot out of their cars as well!
More hats off (and thanks) to Rolly!!
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:56 pm

JHPGT3 wrote:I'd like to add my .02 about Roland which might be of interest. In the last six Time Trials, according to Kary's nicely organized data on his WEB site, I have gone from the top 61% to the top 33%, the top 28%, the top 20%, the top 16%, and finally, the top 13%. In this time I have been fortunate to have had many of you ride with me and either instruct me by example or give me some direct instruction. This includes Jack (an incredible driver whose skills I will never attain), Jae (another great driver and extremely encouraging), Kary (great driver with some excellent advice), Rod Sussman (a great teacher/communicator and de-briefer afterwards), and Roland. I can only aspire to be the driver that you all are --it will probably never happen in this lifetime.
All of the aforementioned have contributed greatly to my growth as a driver, but, FWIW, I have to say that Roland was able to quickly zero in on a specific area where I needed to improve that has contributed more to my improved times than anything else (it will remain a Top Secret). So, Roland IMO is not only a great driver, and able to get a lot out of his car, but he's also able to identify ways for others to get a lot out of their cars as well!
More hats off (and thanks) to Rolly!!

Well said John!!

Though the last time I road with you we had a bit of a problem a year ago....you might want to take me off your list above. :roll:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby JHPGT3 on Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:25 pm

kary wrote:Well said John!!

Though the last time I road with you we had a bit of a problem a year ago....you might want to take me off your list above. :roll:

I've completely forgotten that "problem" and everything associated with it. In fact, who are YOU? :lol:
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby gulf911 on Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:17 pm

Perhaps you are missing the point. Nobody questions the drivers ability, or the driver. A car that was in AR in 2003 is now in AM. You do the math. Now I know how the 944's felt in GSS when I had the 911E.... :)
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Any other 944-spec cars going to the AX?

Postby John Chambers on Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:58 pm

:D
Any competition?
John Chambers

Postby David Ray on Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:33 pm

Back to the topic - I thought it was great :D . The 30mins allowed you to pick when you wanted to run your fast laps, get out of traffic, and get comfortable in the session.

I never cared for the 1 warmup and 2 timed runs - to me this doesn't cut it. Jack Keep the new format!!!!!

Not sure I understand why drivers pulled off the track after three/four laps though :?

I ran my fastest times in the timed session.
David Ray
Autocrosser

Postby pdy on Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:46 pm

Well, I couldn't seem to get the pressures dialed in on my new KumHo Ecstacy V700. I had them set waaay too high early, and toasted them. The rest of the weak-end they seemed a bit slippery, and I would run my best laps in the first few laps. In fact, the second Saturday session, I spun whilst entering the oval (no, I don't lift at all there - ask Martin). Tires were 75C (about 175F) over 5 minutes later, so those muthas musta bean HOT!

It would be great to have all the laps burped up to MYLAPS.COM, butt I don't know what it takes for that to get done.

N-E-How, that's my excuse for not running the N-Tire session.
pdy
Time Trialer

Previous

Return to General Discussions