Trailer Advice

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Trailer Advice

Postby glenn_993 on Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:25 pm

Looking to buy an open aluminum trailer. Would appreciate any advice or recommendations on what to buy and where to get it. My car is 14' bumper to bumper, so I'm guessing at least 17' x 8' bed? I'm heading down the slippery slope!!! :D
Glenn Marlin #24
96 993 C2 track
glenn_993
Autocrosser

Postby kary on Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:59 pm

Glenn, I like the Aluminum Trailer Company (ATC) trailers alot. Aluminum has a very good resale value and pulls very nicely with SUV's of most sizes. ATC will build a custom trailer to suit for no extra cost. I know that Mark Foley, Robert Bazier, Mike Dougherty, Tom Tweed, and myself have an ATC trailer. You can check out there website at http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby mnettles on Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:11 pm

I have a featherlite, as do several other club members.

http://www.fthr.com/trailers/modelpage. ... ltSeries=4

Standard trailer width is 8.5' wide (I hunted for narrower but couldn't find one without a huge premium....). Lengths also seem to have standards- mine is17'6" plus the front part totaling just over 20'. There's room on it for my car plus a good tire rack (Bill Hartsock has his set up with one....) There is a featherlite dealership in Escondido that may even have one is stock..... Also keep an eye out for a used trailer- mine was 2 years old and $1.5K cheaper than others bought at the same time.

good luck

mj
mnettles
Autocrosser

Postby MikeD on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:19 pm

Glenn, I have an ATC (as Kary mentioned) which I might be putting up for sale in the near future (I am working on getting an enclosed trailer). Keep in touch.

Kary's right, though. I pulled a number of different trailers with my SUV and none of them pulled as well as this ATC.

Welcome to the slope. It seems scary at first as you peer down at the bottom but once you start sliding you begin to enjoy the ride :D.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby jrgordonsenior on Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:13 pm

I found a used 17'-6" Featherlite open recently at racingjunk.com.
I paid $2,900. for it with a wench, and it was close to perfect. I replace the tires for safety but other than that.....Oh, and the fenders were painted red perfectly matching my crew cab!
jrgordonsenior
Autocrosser

Postby richard on Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:47 pm

Not a bad price if it came with a wench. Now if you really meant a winch, then that's different!
richard
Time Trialer

Trailer Advice

Postby Bill Addy on Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:39 pm

I just purchased a 16' ATC open aluminum trailer from Champion in Newport Beach. It is on order and he probably won't be ordering anymore, as they are expensive to ship.

Beyond the fact that my son was just accepted to UC Riverside ($$$$), my homeowners association just informed me that I can't park a trailer in my driveway, or near the house.

Anyone interested in taking delivery for what I have paid???? $54xx.00 w/ T&L. Its a nice trailer, but I am scrambling right now. Curb weight is 980#(I pulled an 18' with my XTERRA V6, 5spd). Featherlite's are 1400#, and the ATC has a beavertail for easy low clearance loading.

Any takers?
Bill Addy

92 968 Coupe
79 911SC (Shelley's)
85 944 (Jason's)
944spec (sold..DOH!)
Bill Addy
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions