BRI Index Error for AM

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby ttweed on Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:23 pm

Otto wrote: As stated earlier, Roland's car, the current AM "top dog", was in fact an HM car last year, subject to the 1.108 Index, providing additional evidence that 1.108 is the more appropriate Index to use for the new AM class.
Not so. Roland's car in HM last year was subject to that index, but it was no where near a fully developed car for the class. No one ever did it, but HM could have had an N-class 993 Twin Turbo developed for it with 53 points that would turn mid-1:40s at the Speedway and make Roland's car look slow. He is, however, pretty much a fully developed AM car now, with the rule change, but saying the old HM index should be applied to AM because of his performance isn't valid.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Otto on Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:24 pm

Carnac Carl:

I recognize that my suggestion of having 2 additional 41-54 classes is not doable this year as new classes cannot be created at this point. Therefore, rethinking the whole issue and taking into consideration that the new AM class is made out of all lower (read "less powerful") classes of last year (A/C/F/G) plus only the lower tier (H/I/J) of the old HM class, the new AM index should be somewhere in between the old AM (1.074) and the old HM (1.108), as Tom had suggested earlier in this thread. This would give the lower classes a better chance to score higher in the BRI and thus more motivation.

Where should that compromise Index number be for the new AM? You decide as the BRI Guru that you are.
Otto H. Obrist
1986 944 Turbo # 577
Otto
Time Trialer

Postby Curt on Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:53 pm

Maybe before we change everything, we should throw all the AM cars on a set of scales and have Steve go over all of our points with all of us to make sure we are adding up our totals correctly.

I guess I wasn't paying attention last year when Roland went down into HM, but in 2003 he was running in AR. I always thought he was an AR car until this year when he surprised me by showing up in AM. I'm telling you, on the track, our cars aren't even remotely competitive with each other. I see Roland as a speck in my rear view, two seconds later he's passsing me. Whatever points he took off his car to move down from AR are points I'd like to take off my car too. Whatever it was, he didn't need it. Maybe I don't either?
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby gulf911 on Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:21 pm

I honestly beleive Roland would not knowingly misclass his car. I do think however he may not be making the new adjustment for weight especially. An 81 SC is about 2750lbs stock, his car stripped I would guess is in the 2500lb range, rendering 8 points for weight alone. With a stock engine swap I am estimating the points at maybe 56-60 for Rolands car. Which would put him in AR if i am correct. However, I don't know every detail about his car and it would be up to Roland to look into it. Until we know for sure I will just point him by on the straights, in the turns, well pretty much everywhere.... :lol:
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby Red Rooster on Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:14 pm

gulf911 wrote:.......I will just point him by on the straights, in the turns, well pretty much everywhere.... :lol:

Hey Dan, Looks like the race in AM is for 2nd place b'tween you, Mick, Curt & me...!!! :mrgreen:
Johnny Riz
Red 73 911 AM #255
Red Rooster
Autocrosser

Postby gulf911 on Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:34 am

yep, it appears that way! :burnout: Should be fun! Hopefully I can get the front suspension done before Buttonwillow.
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Previous

Return to General Discussions