Question about H-rated tires and run groups

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Question about H-rated tires and run groups

Postby TheStig on Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:40 pm

Hey guys, this kind of sounds like a dumb question; would the compound of the tires a car is running at the autocross change the rungroup that it's in (e.g. bumping the car down into the yellow-novice run group)? I know that the next auto-x I will run in, I will be in yellow most likely with H-rated compounds. I know it's not a good idea, unfortunately my current budget doesn't permit me to purchase a competition type compound. Anyone know if the officials will also be upset at me for such a hard compound tire on the track?
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
1986 Porsche 944 #382 Up For Sale - Inquire Within!
1987 Porsche 928 S4 If it's too loud, you're too old!Image
TheStig
Time Trialer

Postby bobbrand on Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:11 pm

On behalf of the timing team, which sits next to the registration team and therefore is eligible to speak for them :wink: , I think that I'm pretty safe in saying that the tire speed rating has no effect on which run group you are in. It's based on whether you are competing as a student or an instructor, and then perhaps based on a subjective evaluation of your perceived pace relative to other members of a colored group, or perhaps whether you have to go leave early because of some personal reason. If you feel you will be driving slowly, you can always ask to be placed in a group with those that are themselves or their cars "speed challenged".

Beyond that, if the tire passes tech, then you can run it. I don't think that speed rating equates necessarily to autocross performance either, but that might be another debate.
bobbrand
Autocrosser

Postby Kim Crosser on Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:35 pm

The run groups for the Autocrosses are not really "performance" based. Generally, the Red and White run groups tend to have more experienced drivers and instructors, because we use those groups for timed run corner working. This has led to the perception that the Red run group is the "fast" group 8) , and many/most of the TTOD (Top Time of Day) cars are in that group. However, I believe some of the TTODs at last weekend's AX were in the White and Orange groups. :P

In order to make instructor-student pairing easier, we put instructors in the Red, White, and Orange groups, with their students in the Blue, Green, and Yellow groups (respectively).

If you are are not an instructor or a student (i.e., you are a "solo" driver), you could wind up in almost any group, but will probably be assigned to Blue, Green, Yellow, or Orange, rather than Red or White.

The tire speed rating has no effect on AX ratings or acceptability (although we discourage the use of snow chains and studs, as they do tend to tear up the track :roll: ). The use of an R-compound or C-compound tire or any race tire (e.g., slicks or non-DOT legal tires) will add points and will force you out of an SS class. Also, any tire with a wear rating of 200 or less will add points and may move you out of your class.

Tires might change your class, but would have no effect on your run group selection. You can also request any specific run group, as Bob notes - but you may not get the requested group, if we need to balance the number of entrants in each group.

The full rules for Zone 8 competition are at http://www.pca.org/zone8/rules/2004Z8DrivingRules.htm.
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby shsteiner on Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:37 pm

I'm happy to take requests for specific run groups, but as mentioned, I can't always accomodate them. Other factors considered when assigning run groups:

1. Co-drivers (sharing a car)
2. Students requesting a specific instructor in advance
3. Amount of wine consumed at time of run group assignment in proportion to amount of whine heard from the driver at the previous event

Speaking of which: it's not too early to start submitting your pre-pay forms for the April 30 AX. :)
shsteiner

Postby harnishclan on Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:12 pm

I am happy in any run group though I don't want to be in the ran over group!
Brian Harnish GP #815
Current: 08 Cayman S, 87 944 S, 87 944.
Past: 81 911SC, 83 944, 86 944, 82 924T, 97 993, 84 944, 87 944, 83 944, 04 Cayenne S, 81 924T, 01 Boxster S.
harnishclan
Time Trialer

Postby TheStig on Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:06 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I do feel that I will request an instructor most likely for my first run out. It's been a VERY long time since I've even touched an autocross, about 4 years to be exact (prev SCCA runs, about 2 only) So I'm quite the noobie still :oops:

I promise I won't try and 'nick' any corner workers... :P Then again I'm probably underestimating my driving skills.

I picked up this really good book at the previous autocross. The book is called "Secrets of Solo Racing" by Henry Watts. Very Very good read with lots and lots info. My main chapters I'm focusing on have to do with apexing (both late and early).
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
TheStig
Time Trialer

Postby Kim Crosser on Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:10 pm

If you haven't read it yet, the "bible" for most of us is:

Driving in Competition, by Alan Johnson

It is highly readable, and (IMHO) covers the material in better depth and with better graphics than the Secrets book.
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby TheStig on Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:31 pm

thanks for the read Kim! I'm going to pick that book up as soon as I get off work tonight!
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
TheStig
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions