autocross magnetic numbers, where to buy?

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby kary on Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:33 pm

Bob Gagnon wrote:Since Final Touch was sold, does anyone know of a good company in San Diego who, like Final Touch, can do custom stuff rather than off-the-shelf designs?

Final Touch had graphics files I had custom created for me by them, now I would like to go the custom route again, hopefully with a company that stays around.

Enrico at Modern Image does great customer work. He did my trailer graphics and a few other things such as flyers and car graphics. They are PCA SDR sponsors and he does great work. Tell him I sent you, maybe a discount....

Their number is 858 408 0744
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:13 pm

Support a club member ...

Call George Hauptman @ 818.917.2069, I spoke to him at the last AutoX where he presented some of his work.

He makes:

Window Signs and Banners
Car, Truck and Boat Decals
Letter and Logos
Any Color Incl. Metalics
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:40 am

Kim Crosser wrote:Wherever you get them from, make sure the size is right...

If you are just going to run Autocross and DE events at the Q, 6" high (minimum) numbers are legal. If you are ever going to run Time Trials, 10" high (minimum) numbers are required (per Zone 8 rules). (The rules also say 1" width minimum, which only makes sense if that is the width of the individual vertical strokes [and gaps between] of the digits.) (Speaking for Corner Workers, 10" high digits are MUCH easier to read than 6" digits...)

Note that this drives the size of the overall decal - if you have 3 digits, each roughly 10" x 4" (minimum!), you need a decal that is at least 12" high x 14" wide. If you have 4 digits, then you need at least 12" high x 18" wide. If you get an oval decal instead of a rectangular one, it will probably be at least 14" high x 18-20" wide for 4 digits. If you are ordering a precut oval with 3-4 digits, you should probably get one at least 14" x 22".

As Kary notes, class designations change (ask any 993/996 driver this year who went from M to N or O!). I would suggest getting separate number and class magnetics, so you can change classes without getting new numbers. There is no spec for height/width of the class designation letters, but I suggest at least 5-6" high for readability.

Also, probably as important as size (size does count :shock: ) is contrasting color. A 6" contrasting color is more visible from a distance than a 10" like/blended color. So, think in shades of gray and severe contrast.

As an example, I run 7" tall numbers that are visible from the stands at Fontana because the car is white and the numbers are bright red. I saw a white car with blue numbers that were more difficult to see from the same distance, even though his/her numbers were taller.

my $0.02
D-
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby TheStig on Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:06 am

kary wrote:
TheStig wrote:I dont' think I'll be exceeding speeds of 100 mph at Qualcomm. I should be ok. :D

In my car a 3rd gear pull is 105 mph. The last auto-x I ran, some time ago last year, I got 100mph out of it. Don't under estimate your be 8 cylinder monster, it is possible :)

no no, Kary, I'm not gonna autocross the 928. The 944 is the car that's gonna be tracked. I don't want to break my red toy :P
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
1986 Porsche 944 #382 Up For Sale - Inquire Within!
1987 Porsche 928 S4 If it's too loud, you're too old!Image
TheStig
Time Trialer

Postby Bob Gagnon on Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:43 am

Why do you want anyone, particularly corner workers, to read the number easily? They just report my downed cones!!! :D
Bob Gagnon
Time Trialer

Magnetic Signs

Postby twitte on Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:14 pm

I got my magnetic signs (custom) made by One-Day Signs in Encinitas. They are located on old 101 across from the LaPaloma movie theater. I put them on at home before I drive to Qualcomm and they don't come off at freeway speeds. The young guy that makes them loves Porsches and does a really nice job. Talk about Porsches with him and his price comes down before you leave.

I tried printing my numbers on magnetic sheets from Office Depot but they didn't last long. They weren't strong enough magnetically to stick during an autocross.
Ted Witte
twitte
Time Trialer

Postby Rsylvestri on Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:36 am

Bob,

Fast Posters did mine, you can send files to: posters@n2.net
They are on 4085 Pacific Hwy, S.Diego 619-692-0610

Rick
'76 Carrera 3.0 #418 CC07
'95 993 C4, sold
'77 911S targa 3.2
'09/'10/'11/12' TT Tech chair