Drivers Education

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Drivers Education

Postby Tim Souza on Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:08 pm

Can anyone confirm that I will be able to run in the upcoming DE with my stock seat belts?

I was told last year (which was my first), that I was allowed to participate in (2) DE events with my stock set up.

With all the rule changes, I didn't want to assume anything!

Thanks
SOUZA #42
1988 Carrera
2002 F-250
2005 Carrera
2009 BMW 128i
2010 Audi Q5
Tim Souza

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:53 pm

Tim:

If you're a Student/Novice, and you're driving a coupe, you were allowed 2 events with stock belts and a mounted fire extinguisher last year. This year, you'll need to confirm with the guys at AX for this old rule. It may still apply.

Now, unless I was seeing things, I thought you were driving a Boxter at the last A-X. If so, you'll need to invest:

-5-point harness for both seats.
-roll-over protection that passes the "broomstick" test (helmet below the roll-bar-to-top-of-windshield line). Also, you're top has to be in the up position during DE/TT's.
-Arm restrainsts for both seats
-secured fire extinguisher within driver's reach.

These are the rules for all cabriolets and boxters (grrrr. The price of driving topless!).

If I'm wrong about you and the Boxter, ignore the "Topless" rules, and check with the A-X Chairs regarding your possible second event with stock seat-belts in the blue coupe. They make the call.

See you soon!
Dan C.
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Tim Souza on Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:20 pm

Dan -

You are correct, I have been driving a Boxster S this year. but because of the rules, it looks like i'll have to knock the dust off the old 996 :o

I was going to set up the Boxster for racing, but I don't think i'll ever pass the "broomstick" rule. I would by a 944, but I don't want to compete against you :lol: so i'm now in the market for older 911, because I still have to settle things with your wife from last DE :P
SOUZA #42
1988 Carrera
2002 F-250
2005 Carrera
2009 BMW 128i
2010 Audi Q5
Tim Souza

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:30 am

Tim Souza wrote:Dan -

You are correct, I have been driving a Boxster S this year. but because of the rules, it looks like i'll have to knock the dust off the old 996 :o

I was going to set up the Boxster for racing, but I don't think i'll ever pass the "broomstick" rule. I would by a 944, but I don't want to compete against you :lol: so i'm now in the market for older 911, because I still have to settle things with your wife from last DE :P

And, as if to add insult to injury, her pursuit of you in the corners at your last DE is captured on tape from inside her car. (Oh, the humility of a 1969 4-cylinder 912 worth the cost of a good cruise catching a 6-cylinder 996 worth the cost of a good-sized house in Texas :oops: .) Yeah, I do believe you owe her a point-by :shock: .

(Just kidding!! We look forward to seeing you and the "Blue Rocket" at the May 1 DE. )

Cheers!
Dan'o
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Return to General Discussions