Why did we stop doing DE's at Qualcomm?

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Re: Why did we stop doing DE's at Qualcomm?

Postby kleggo on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:35 pm

ttweed wrote:
pecivil wrote:I will never forget when a softball sized chuck of pavement was thrown from car in front of me and it literally bounced off the roof of the Lotus and left a large ding. My 1st and last DE at qualcomm.

You should have seen the racing surface at Holtville before we stopped running there (around the turn of the century). The chunks were football sized. They didn't call it "Joltville" for nothing.

TT

I recently read through a 1971 edition of road and track, or car and driver.
Even then they we talking about the bad surface of holtville.

They were also taking about the upcoming mid-engine corvette!
in 1971!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Craig Fenstermaker

i'm here in Vista
kleggo
Time Trialer

Postby rshon on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:51 pm

LUCKY DAVE wrote:It's too bad the Coronado event didn't work out, a DE on a full size track in our own back yard was just great. Sure, the track wasn't Laguna.... but it was a lot closer...Greg could WALK there......

Yes, we were so fortunate to get to run there on the Thursday before the historics races in 2009. We didn't realize that it would be our only opportunity. But it was sooo bumpy when you transitioned between concrete and asphalt and back.

Some of the officers got (sick) rides from some of our instructors. For those of us who had lap timers, it gave us a reference to compare our times against the vintage race cars which ran later in the weekend. Here's what a lap looked like:

https://youtu.be/P6DVTV4CBTw
Russell
PCA Zone 8 Rules Tech Advisor
Z8 TT/DE Chair ('20-'22)
Z8 Rules Chair ('12-'18)

Porsche Boxster S
Scion FR-S
Lotus Exige S
Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
rshon
Time Trialer

Postby mrondeau on Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:28 am

rshon wrote:
LUCKY DAVE wrote:It's too bad the Coronado event didn't work out, a DE on a full size track in our own back yard was just great. Sure, the track wasn't Laguna.... but it was a lot closer...Greg could WALK there......

Yes, we were so fortunate to get to run there on the Thursday before the historics races in 2009. We didn't realize that it would be our only opportunity. But it was sooo bumpy when you transitioned between concrete and asphalt and back.

Some of the officers got (sick) rides from some of our instructors. For those of us who had lap timers, it gave us a reference to compare our times against the vintage race cars which ran later in the weekend. Here's what a lap looked like:

That was another fun event. I loved it in the 944S. Softer suspension which sucked up some of the bumps a little better. I'm not sure I'd like it as much in the 911. Here's another video of that event.

https://youtu.be/0fUR3PzzAuo
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:04 am

Steve Grosekemper wrote:
Ah, glory days... we remember the fun much easier than the holes in the floorboards and broken windshields.
I have video of me in an RSA in those days we used at a QDE school. Jad? were did that stuff go?

I may have them in an archive somewhere, but those we deleted several computers ago. I think the video was in black and white :surr:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Gary Burch on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:40 am

mrondeau wrote:
rshon wrote:

That was another fun event. I loved it in the 944S. Softer suspension which sucked up some of the bumps a little better. I'm not sure I'd like it as much in the 911. Here's another video of that event.

https://youtu.be/0fUR3PzzAuo

nice video, too bad we screwed our selves out of this...
maybe we could revisit the powers in charge and promise to be good
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby CoryM on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 am

I did the Coronado event in 2009 and it was fun. Not a great track but it was cool to see the vintage cars in the pits and great to be home at a reasonable hour. Having driven the track makes spectating during the vintage event a lot more interesting for me. I don't know any of the details regarding the administration of the event from the PCA side but the SVRA is the vintage group running the event now, I believe it was HMSA back in '09. Maybe there is an opportunity to get another Thursday run group in the future, I'd go.
Cory Muscat
CoryM
Autocrosser

Previous

Return to General Discussions