Autocross map for April 23rd event

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Autocross map for April 23rd event

Postby marcus981 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:33 am

The course map for this weekend's autocross is posted on the live results site:

http://ax.pcasdr.org/

You'll notice that we're introducing a different layout style that may be new to some of you. Andrew and I refer to this as "SCCA-style," since parts of the course mimic the more minimalist use of cones common in SCCA autocross. This style is also used by the PCA Orange County Region for their AX events at El Toro.

For this event, there are still sections of traditionally coned course layout (indicated by solid black lines) with some SCCA-style elements interspersed between those familiar sections. We carefully designed the layout to try to minimize the chance of anyone getting lost, but it still might be worth carefully studying the map to prepare for the event.

Some of the advantages of these new elements are: more freedom to choose your driving line, wider variety of elements, added visual interest, more challenging, and fewer cones to manage. As people learn to identify the special marking cones (described on the map legend), there is less chance of "cone blindness" with this style.

I included a dotted gray line on the map to clarify the "middle-of-the-road" path through the elements. On the day of the event, we'll have a couple of enlarged printed maps that include different blue and red driving line examples to help spur some thoughts and conversation about the best line for your car. We'll also have printed handouts of the online map.

Questions and feedback are welcome before and after the event.
Marcus Kramer #591
2014 Cayman S (Agate Gray)
Equipment Team, Autocross Team, IT Support
marcus981
Autocrosser

Re: Autocross map for April 23rd event

Postby Erik K on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:56 am

Marcus, thanks for getting the map posted. That looks great to me! I like the idea of a mix/hybrid layout, with half SCCA style, and the usual full coned sections mixed in. Can't wait to try it out Saturday.

Erik Kinninger
Erik K
Time Trialer

Postby EricMarc-Aurele on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:24 pm

I have two questions:
When should I show up to help set up?
How do I find out which run group I'm in, or should I wait for the day of?
EricMarc-Aurele
Autocrosser

Postby Old Guy on Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:46 pm

I've got a couple of Franklins I'm willing to slip into the waiting hand of an official if we can cut the final slalom down to 3 or at most 4 cones. NO? Then I lose. Oh well. :cry:
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
2017 Carrera 911 7 speed stick, Lava Orange :lol:
2017 Macan S, Sapphire Blue
2005 Volvo V50 Spt Wagon, Passion Red
2003 Morgan +8, Silver body with Dark Blue Wings
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Postby marcus981 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:50 am

EricMarc-Aurele wrote:I have two questions:
When should I show up to help set up?
How do I find out which run group I'm in, or should I wait for the day of?

Eric,

We'll start unloading the trailer and setting up the course at 4:30am again this Sat, since there is another Race Legal event at the stadium on Fri night.

The run group colors are assigned the morning of the event. A link to the schedule is usually emailed out a day or two in advance, and students are typically in Green or Blue, so that might help narrow it down for you.

See you Sat!
Marcus Kramer #591
marcus981
Autocrosser

Postby marcus981 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:59 am

Old Guy wrote:I've got a couple of Franklins I'm willing to slip into the waiting hand of an official if we can cut the final slalom down to 3 or at most 4 cones. NO? Then I lose. Oh well. :cry:

Jim,

Don't despair... this slalom has 83' cone spacing, so it's a pretty high speed slalom (about 55mph). By comparison, the long slalom at the last event had 65' spacing, which is about 45mph. We think people will really enjoy this one because of the unusual kink plus the offset entrance and exit that will require some experimentation to figure out which path and what specific line to take.
Marcus Kramer #591
marcus981
Autocrosser

Postby Robert Joe on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Course looks great!
Thanks!

I love the sparse cone layout. Tracks flow a lot better. This will make you a better driver because it forces you to look ahead. Don't get frustrated if it is confusing at first. It is like riding a bike without training wheels. Once you get the hang of it you won't want to go back.
Robert Joe
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions